Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 2010 Shot show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Maybe this has something to do with the arrests?

From The Shooting Wire

What the heck is going on?

If you read the news or watch television lately, you'd think a major crime spree has broken out within the ranks of the firearms industry. Yesterday, the FBI put out another superheated, hyperbole-ridden release regarding last week's arrests of twenty-two individuals in connection with an attempt to bribe a foreign official for a weapons contract.

Yesterday's breathless announcement trumpeted the "largest operation of this type ever attempted" under the 1977 Foreign Corrupt Practices Act that made their conduct a no-no. It also talked about the fact the individuals charged were corporate officers and figures in the firearms industry. Like Verizon versus AT&T, there was also a reference to the sweeping nature of the case, rounding up "business owners, presidents, and CEOs from companies based in Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia- as well as in Israel and the U.K."

Whew, powerful writing mojo here.

The fact they are also presumed innocent until proven guilty must have interfered with the literary flow, because the normally-circumspect Department of Justice neglected to mention that little fact.

And the fact that the supposed defense minister of the African nation was neither an African nor a defense minister, but an FBI agent posing as a "sales agent" was passed over pretty quickly. That poses a legal question: if the "foreign agent" isn't really a "foreign agent" has an international crime, in fact, been committed? No one's arguing the agency-described "ruse" didn't show intent, but the whole deal looks strange at this point.

Were the twenty-two people trying to break the law? Seems so. But it seems there are still a few questions to be resolved before they find themselves guests in a Club Fed. This case seems to lack the clarity in other cases the government cites as proof that their new task force on corruption works.

Maybe they'd like to cover Congress. Probably not.

And in Georgia, three men, including a former federal prosecutor and unsuccessful candidate for Georgia Attorney General, have been indicted for alledly trying to bilk GLOCK out of three million dollars.

The indictment in a Cobb County, Georgia court, says Jerry Chapman, Jeffrey Pombert, and James Harper III charges the trio with theft by taking and violation of Georgia's Racketeering Influenced & Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).

Reportedly, the three had worked "in concert with one another and with others did, through a pattern of racketeering activity, unlawfully take and/or endeavor to take the property and/or money of another in the approximate amount of $3 million from Glock."

Allegedly, Harper, as Glock's outside legal counsel, worked with the others to set up bank accounts and transfer funds and assets from Glock for "their own personal use and control."

The 55-year old Harper worked under a number of U.S. attorneys in Atlanta before losing a 1998 election for Georgia's attorney general. Apparently, he failed to learn that -ultimately - crime does not pay.

There are some good things happening, but that's for another time.

We'll keep you posted.

--Jim Shepherd

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #22

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
23 people in the industry arrested on the Shot floor the very first day for some export bribery schemes??

Anyone else hear about this?

I have NO details.
The Bradenton Herald newspaper listed Heavy Metal Armory's owner here in Bradenton as one of the arrested. He deals in a lot of machine guns and automatic weapons. Has a lot of dealings with law enforcement also.

We'll have to keep tabs on what's going on and what the real story is. Supposedly they have been investigating this for 2 years or so.

Change? What change? All I have is pennies left.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Curiouser and curiouser. I'm going to watch this one, it's going to be very interesting..

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #24

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
God I wish I could own a Taurus Judge...Oh well you always want what you can't have.
You can buy mine cheap. About five rounds through it.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
23 people in the industry arrested on the Shot floor the very first day for some export bribery schemes??

Anyone else hear about this?

I have NO details.
Try this Cane

FBI arrest S&W Exec and 20 others at SHOT Show!!!!! | The Firearm BlogJan 20, 2010 ... An FBI agent posed as a representative of an Africa nation. An S&W executive (and others)

thefirearmblog.com/.../2010/.../fbi-arrest-sw-exec-and-20-others-at-shot-show

sorry, put www. in front of it, I couldn't get it to post as a link.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 02-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #26

Default Wait till the truth comes out!!!!

This is the Duke lacrosse team all over again in the Glock case. Trust me on this one.

Last edited by Thetruth; 02-10-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: more details

Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #27

Default The truth will set Harper free in the Glock case!!!!

This is the Duke Lacrosse Team scenario repeating itself this time in Cobb County.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post

A .22 with a 30-round magazine?? too funny lol

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/downloads/SHOT2010_pmr30.jpg

Bigger Image Above.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post

Magnum, and 30 rounds too. woohoo!

Seriously this cracks me up. How the other half (of the world) lives, huh?

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Poor zhuk, it's just a shame.