1st pistol advice - Sig, FNX, XD(M)... - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st pistol advice - Sig, FNX, XD(M)...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #51
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

OP here. Finally made a decision and picked it up this morning before the news broke. I went back last week and shot in 9mm the CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, FNX, SR9, P226, M&P, and XDM. It was very close between the P226, XDM, FNX, and M&P. But as before, the P226 was just a natural fit in my hand and naturally accurate. Someone else mentioned about going .40 - that was an early consideration, but ammo cost was being considered as well so I went 9mm. However, that P227 Carry will be on the short list of guns to look at next

So here's my P226 Nitron with contrast sights. Was really looking for the night sights, an Extreme or an Elite, but considering I couldn't find a single one in 9mm at multiple stores and online, I'm OK with this, all thing considered today. I can always replace the sights and grips. I was rushed this morning, but had to run a few rounds through it after I picked it up. I was alternating DA/2rds SA, DA/2rds SA. I'm happy! Looking forward to getting back to the range when I have more time to do some failure drills and concentrate more on distance accuracy.

Again, thank's for everyone's input. I'm sure this thread has been helpful to others.

Edit: I have no idea why the pictures are upside down. They were right-side up on my computer, but upside down on my iPhone.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Last edited by KJG67; 01-17-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #52

Liked 167 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
OP here. Finally made a decision and picked it up this morning before the news broke. I went back last week and shot in 9mm the CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, FNX, SR9, P226, M&P, and XDM. It was very close between the P226, XDM, FNX, and M&P. But as before, the P226 was just a natural fit in my hand and naturally accurate. Someone else mentioned about going .40 - that was an early consideration, but ammo cost was being considered as well so I went 9mm. However, that P227 Carry will be on the short list of guns to look at next

So here's my P226 Nitron with contrast sights. Was really looking for the night sights, an Extreme or an Elite, but considering I couldn't find a single one in 9mm at multiple stores and online, I'm OK with this, all thing considered today. I can always replace the sights and grips. I was rushed this morning, but had to run a few rounds through it after I picked it up. I was alternating DA/2rds SA, DA/2rds SA. I'm happy! Looking forward to getting back to the range when I have more time to do some failure drills and concentrate more on distance accuracy.

Again, thank's for everyone's input. I'm sure this thread has been helpful to others.
Looks nice. Congrats!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #53
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5162 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

Sig makes a good pistol.

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #54

Liked 518 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Very nice. Looks awesome.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #55
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3763 Times on 2088 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
Sig makes a good pistol.
Looks good. I love Sig.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #56
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #57

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I have an XD 9mm Sub-compact that i love my dad is lefty and he likes it aswell.are you seriously interested in CC?or are you more interested in home defense or just a plinker?for CC the XD(M) is a good gun but a little large you might like the subcompact better....for home defense nothing really beats a 12ga pump shotgun.if just a plinker then go to a well stocked range and spend some money renting and shooting different gun until you find that one gun that "just feels right"

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1235 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Congratulations -

The P226 is an excellent pistol and should serve you well. I would recommend you purchase a quality kydex holster that accommodates a weapon light, a set of Trijicon tritium sights, a SureFire X300 (the ultra model may be a little too powerful for work inside your house), and 3 or more spare magazines for your new pistol.

While you're at it, make sure you pick up a quality folding knife that complies with your state's laws and a small handheld flashlight like a SureFire EB1.

I realize that the toolset for concealed carry is expensive, but you only have to purchase quality tools once.

After that, pick up a case or two of 9MM and start practicing. If ammunition is hard to come by, pick up some snap caps for dry fire practice. Any trigger time you get is better than no trigger time at all.

On that note, once you get your holster make sure your clothing and carry method work for you. Practice presentations from the holster in various different positions, to include seated, laying on your back on the ground, and in corners.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If a P226 is what fits you, then it's an outstanding choice. It's a great platform that's unlikely to ever let you down.

I only wish the P226 fit me better. Apart from personal fit, I love absolutely everything about this firearm.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #60

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm a huge fan of the Sig 226. I gave my daughter one for a birthday present and you can not pry that thing out of her hands now. It's scary accurate and a pleasure to handle.

I used to own a FNP and really did like it a lot. I'm not really bog on poly guns but it the FNP/FNX are two I'd make an exception for.

If I was choosing between the two I'd lean to the Sig mainly for my history with them. I've never owned or fired one that was not an excellent pistol.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson