1st pistol advice - Sig, FNX, XD(M)... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st pistol advice - Sig, FNX, XD(M)...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1168 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Careful, you are about to find yourself with the fanboy moniker applied.
I'm a fan of things that actually work. I applied logic and tests to determine which pistols I'd bet my life on and which pistols I wouldn't. I spent many thousands of dollars of my money and countless hours doing it. Anyone who wishes to do so can call me whatever names they wish. I'm not bashing anyone else's choices or asking them to justify them, I'm just stating why I made mine.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #32

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I'm a fan of things that actually work. I applied logic and tests to determine which pistols I'd bet my life on and which pistols I wouldn't. I spent many thousands of dollars of my money and countless hours doing it. Anyone who wishes to do so can call me whatever names they wish. I'm not bashing anyone else's choices or asking them to justify them, I'm just stating why I made mine.
Part of the problem with your analysis is that you talked about CC, but the OP wasn't asking for CC. Thus the "need" for Striker fired wasn't there.

Not to mention not everyone feels so strongly about not having a hammer. I understand your position, but it came off more than a little strong.

I personally prefer the traditional visible hammer, even though mechanically there is a striker internally that the hammer is hitting. For a deep concealed weapon, 2 out of 3 guns I'm looking at are striker fired and I have indeed considered the snagging issue. However, most pistols now have bobbed hammers which minimizes this issue somewhat.

Glocks have their place but they are not the end all be all of handguns. Many shooters just don't like the way they feel in the hand. I also respectfully disagree about manual safeties, though some of what you posted is exactly why I don't want to carry a single-action only weapon. I personally prefer hammer down on a live round, long trigger pull on the first shot with single action follow up shots. I train this way as well. That is my personal preference. I know some shooters that really are better off with a consistent trigger pull like the Glock. All of it depends on the shooter. There is no "perfect" gun.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Last edited by ScottA; 01-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #33

Liked 155 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I don't see anything wrong with any of the choices. All good guns. I did the same thing as you, rented a bunch of different guns and ended up with an SR9C. I like it because its compact and easy to carry even with the 17 round mag.

At this point though it sounds like you have to chose the best one for you out of a good bunch.

Whatever feels more natural to you is what I would go with. Personal preference.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3379 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with any of the choices. All good guns. I did the same thing as you, rented a bunch of different guns and ended up with an SR9C. I like it because its compact and easy to carry even with the 17 round mag.

At this point though it sounds like you have to chose the best one for you out of a good bunch.

Whatever feels more natural to you is what I would go with. Personal preference.
I second that opinion 100%, as much as I love my 226, it wouldn't have been the gun I would have picked had it not been given to me. It's a good gun, I like it, I enjoy shooting it haven't ever had a problem with it, it just doesn't fit in my hand right. I'm more comfortable shooting my little 938. And yes, I loved Trip's 1911, I would have traded my 226 for his 1911 in a heartbeat.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #35

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
1911 for the win.

Sig 1911

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1168 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Part of the problem with your analysis is that you talked about CC, but the OP wasn't asking for CC. Thus the "need" for Striker fired wasn't there.
If you don't carry your gun with you, then what good is it if you need it? The OP did state that he would eventually like to use his pistol for concealed carry once the powers that be in his great state deem the general citizenry worthy of defending their right to live.

Quote:
Not to mention not everyone feels so strongly about not having a hammer. I understand your position, but it came off more than a little strong.
Train a little more with your pistol in realistic shooting scenarios where your assailant is right on top of you. Attend a shooting course where they use simunition, plastic, or paintball rounds.

Quote:
I personally prefer the traditional visible hammer, even though mechanically there is a striker internally that the hammer is hitting. For a deep concealed weapon, 2 out of 3 guns I'm looking at are striker fired and I have indeed considered the snagging issue. However, most pistols now have bobbed hammers which minimizes this issue somewhat.
You just made the case yourself for using a striker fired gun. Bobbed hammers are a partial solution to the problem and better than exposed hammers.

Quote:
Glocks have their place but they are not the end all be all of handguns. Many shooters just don't like the way they feel in the hand. I also respectfully disagree about manual safeties, though some of what you posted is exactly why I don't want to carry a single-action only weapon. I personally prefer hammer down on a live round, long trigger pull on the first shot with single action follow up shots. I train this way as well. That is my personal preference. I know some shooters that really are better off with a consistent trigger pull like the Glock. All of it depends on the shooter. There is no "perfect" gun.
Consistency is important for anything you are doing under stress. Having more than one option with respect to how you handle your weapon introduces unnecessary complexity into the manual of arms. For example, ALL shooters are better off with a consistent trigger pull. Ask a few of the experts in pistol handling and see if anyone disagrees with that statement. There is not a special class of humans who can be better trained to do multiple actions than a single action.

Glocks are not the best at anything and are pretty far from perfect. I would have no problems using and carrying the S&W M&P, Caracal, or Strike One (when it becomes available). I'm pretty sure I stated that in a previous post. I've put hundreds of rounds through S&W M&P's owned by friends of mine and think the design is more ergonomic than the Glock in a variety of ways.

If you're going to purchase a target pistol, then it really doesn't matter which design you choose. If it fits your hand or you just like it, then rock on. If you trust your life to it, then the characteristics of the design matter. You can choose to apply personal bias or you can go out and test what I've stated for yourself. I'm not telling anyone to get any particular brand of pistol. I'm stating why I made the choices I've made based on what I've learned from personal experience and there are a plethora of firearms instructors, more qualified than I am, who will tell you the same thing. Don't take my word for it and don't take anyone else's word for it, go out and test what you believe to be true and see whether or not the evidence supports your beliefs or not.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #37
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
I would recommend getting a Glock 17 or 19 9MM pistol for your first practice and carry piece.
Quote:
I'm not telling anyone to get any particular brand of pistol.

I'm sorry. I just couldn't help myself.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 01-08-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #38
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3379 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:

If you don't carry your gun with you, then what good is it if you need it? The OP did state that he would eventually like to use his pistol for concealed carry once the powers that be in his great state deem the general citizenry worthy of defending their right to live.

Train a little more with your pistol in realistic shooting scenarios where your assailant is right on top of you. Attend a shooting course where they use simunition, plastic, or paintball rounds.

You just made the case yourself for using a striker fired gun. Bobbed hammers are a partial solution to the problem and better than exposed hammers.

Consistency is important for anything you are doing under stress. Having more than one option with respect to how you handle your weapon introduces unnecessary complexity into the manual of arms. For example, ALL shooters are better off with a consistent trigger pull. Ask a few of the experts in pistol handling and see if anyone disagrees with that statement. There is not a special class of humans who can be better trained to do multiple actions than a single action.

Glocks are not the best at anything and are pretty far from perfect. I would have no problems using and carrying the S&W M&P, Caracal, or Strike One (when it becomes available). I'm pretty sure I stated that in a previous post. I've put hundreds of rounds through S&W M&P's owned by friends of mine and think the design is more ergonomic than the Glock in a variety of ways.

If you're going to purchase a target pistol, then it really doesn't matter which design you choose. If it fits your hand or you just like it, then rock on. If you trust your life to it, then the characteristics of the design matter. You can choose to apply personal bias or you can go out and test what I've stated for yourself. I'm not telling anyone to get any particular brand of pistol. I'm stating why I made the choices I've made based on what I've learned from personal experience and there are a plethora of firearms instructors, more qualified than I am, who will tell you the same thing. Don't take my word for it and don't take anyone else's word for it, go out and test what you believe to be true and see whether or not the evidence supports your beliefs or not.
I believe I just stated I've never had a problem with my 226 which has a hammer and I believe it was manufactured in 1994, I would trust my life to it...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #39

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

You would likely be incredibly surprised. Once you take apart a 1911, and study the parts and how they interact, you'll never have any but the utmost confidence in cocked and locked carry with a 1911.

Maybe I'm just drinking too much of the KoolAid, but I sincerely believe that perfection was achieved approximately 103 years ago. IMO, the only thing that holds a candle to it, is the Browning High Power, which JMB has reportedly said he personally felt was an improvement over the 1911. But it's a 9mm...
Exactly! The best platform and functional designs came out of the 1911 and arguably still is the 1911 itself. Don't fear it, shoot it. Being such a popular piece you're very likely to know someone who has one. Ask to go shooting with a buddy and play with it a little. Field strip it, assemble it, dry fire it, load it and see how truly safe it is.

You cannot fire one without pulling the trigger. There's a firing pin block that disallows for an engaging of the pin without the trigger being pulled all the way through. No dropping it on the hammer or failed parts causing it to slip. Nope, you have to want it to fire.

Ensuring this, also, is the 1/64 cocked feature. Many call it half cocked, but it's like a micrometer pull off the hammer where you cannot fire it, the trigger is blocked, the pin is still blocked and even if it slips from its position and the pin block fails there's not enough travel to engage the pin to push thru the spring and strike the round. This feature also prevents the hammer from fully returning to the pin if dropped and released from fully cocked.

So don't you see, it would take an act of you, with your trigger finger, purposefully, to make one of these beauties fire.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-08-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
226 Nitron or MK-25 9mm
FNX-9
XD(M) 4.5" 9mm
Your hands, your budget, your tastes. These are three excellent platforms and I think you're wise to be looking at 9mm. That's honestly as well as I can state it for you.

I love the P226. Great gun, great trigger, nice finish...and yet I didn't shoot it as well as I shot my other guns. So I sold mine. I never doubted its accuracy, just its accuracy in my hands. It just wasn't the right fit for me. That's sorta how picking the right gun works. Pick a good one that works for you. The three you mention are all fine options in a general sense. I love my XDms, and they tend to make me look like a really competent shooter.

A couple additional random words of advice: Avoid Glock unless you want to go predominantly with Glock. I have a pair and they're really good guns. But they're just an entirely different feel/grip angle/sight picture from most alternatives. Glock does offer some advantages (commonality, affordable convertability, outstanding weight:capacity ratio, etc), but the XDm is just plain a superior gun IMO. Do look at the CZ 75b. There is no better value or performer in my hands. Maybe that's true for you also, maybe not.

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.