Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st pistol advice - Sig, FNX, XD(M)...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 365 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 73

So as you can see, asking for advice about guns is a great way to bring out people who can't see beyond their personal platform.

Looking at your three choices I'd have to ask what's important to you. I'm no fan of striker fired pistols, but if you want that consistent trigger pull versus the switch off of a DA/SA (Double-Action/Single-Action) trigger than the Springfield is your only choice. However, if you are more traditional and want the exposed hammer and don't mind the switch between double and single action (Disclaimer: I prefer DA/SA setups, this is not a knock against them) then price may be a factor. The 226 you've listed is a pretty high end model and I've never heard anything bad about it other than a high bore axis. I like both the FNX and 226, so I don't think you can go wrong. What I don't see is FN magazines on a regular basis, even before the current panic. I think your options will be better with a 226, but I own an oddball pistol myself and in the Internet age finding magazines and holsters isn't the chore it used to be.

9mm is definitely the way to go if you're a new shooter. I learned on .22's and then graduated to a 9mm. I use .45 ACP for my home defense handgun now so I'm not biased for 9mm at all. 9mm is a perfectly sufficient combat round and great for new shooters.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #22

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I would go with the sig. And to this^^^^^ I do not own a sig.
You said the sig fills like a extinction of your body. The gun that fills the best to you is the one you should go with.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #23

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I would go with the sig. And to this^^^^^ I do not own a sig.
You said the sig fills like a extinction of your body. The gun that fills the best to you is the one you should go with.
Exactly no matter what anyone says the one that feels right in you're hand that points the most naturally should be the one you buy.Barring the fact that money is not a big issue.If it is I understand that CZ makes a great pistol for a lower price.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #24

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's a recent article on the FNX 9mm you may find of interest:

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/handgun-review-fnh-fnx-9mm?et_mid=597432&rid=3460147

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I knew I signed up for a great forum! Great suggestions and more to think about. I know there's no perfect answer and it's totally individualized decision, so I'll be going back to fire these again.

To reply to a few posts:
- Good thought on the CC being 9 or 40. I do recall reading about the kinetic energy with the 40 being almost the same as the .45 and the 9 being close, plus more rounds. Makes total sense to have as many rounds available as possible if that need ever happens.
- I'm not rushing to CC at all, and would be looking at a compact or semi-compact later. Illinois still has to get their political heads removed from their barrel and get the law written without disarming all of us.
- I don't plan to try to CC a 226 or 1911 unless I'm trying to impress my wife. "Is that a 226 in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"
- Thanks for the DA/SA thoughts and IPDA issues.
- Thanks for the review on the FNX. I didn't see that one. Will have to take a look at some of their notes next time I shoot it. I did notice the break like was mentioned.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 844 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
That's kind of a strange statement. Just because a gun is striker fired doesn't make it any better.
Striker fired guns don't have any of the problems associated with hammer fired guns. Namely, the issue of having the hammer caught on clothing or gear while drawing the weapon, foreign objects obstructing the path to the firing pin, and issues with hammer springs in addition to firing pin springs. Any modern handgun that has more parts than absolutely necessary for function has more potential points of failure. Whether you experience a failure or not is irrelevant, the possibility exists and should be eliminated if you are serious about trusting your life to whatever weapon you choose to carry. To me, that makes striker fired guns "better".

If you have issues with Glocks, there are S&W M&P's, Caracal's, and (soon) Strike One's out there as alternatives. The Glock is not a target pistol, it doesn't look pretty, and it is not "special" in any particular way. It is a functional tool that happens to function fairly reliably under less than ideal circumstances that has the characteristics that lend itself to combat. The Glock is a working tool to me and nothing more. If someone comes up with something demonstrably better, I'll ditch the Glock without a second thought.

At contact distance, weapons with hammers or slides that extend past or very near to the edge of the frame can cause the weapon's slide to move out of battery. I use a extended (factory threaded) barrel and SureFire X300 on my Glock 17 to ensure that that doesn't happen. You can grab the slide from behind, but there's no hammer that you can catch your fingers between to prevent the weapon from firing.

I will add that I think that any weapon with an external safety lever is an impediment to concealed carry and has no place on a combat pistol. I can't tell you the number of times I've inadvertently activated or deactivated the safety on my Colt M1911 while holstering or unholstering. In close combat where someone is on top of me, I don't want to have to mess with a safety lever. I should be able to draw my weapon, pull the trigger, and it should fire. From actual practice with a real person (training partner) at contact distance using real weapons loaded with snap caps, I have personally moved the slide of the M1911 out of battery or had the hammer blocked on numerous contact distance firing attempts and would not recommend the platform to anyone who uses it for concealed carry.

At the time it was invented the M1911 was about as good as a pistol could be. Times have changed and real gunsmiths no longer assemble and test each individual pistol. The stock M1911 has no advantage over the Glock 17 in weight, ammunition capacity, accuracy (in combat form, I'm not talking about match guns which are not suitable for defense), features, or cost.

My Glock 17 Gen 4 with 3 magazines, SureFire X300, LaserMax laser, Ameriglo Tritium Sights for use with a suppressor, and several boxes of Winchester ammo still cost less than my stock Colt M1911-A1 Series 70 with 2 magazines and nothing else.

Anyone who thinks a stock Colt M1911-A1 Series 70 pistol that costs twice as much as a Glock 17 is any more accurate than a Glock 17 is welcome to come shooting with me and I will demonstrate to you that it is entirely possible to put 10 rounds into a silver dollar with either pistol at 15 yards. I'm not sure how much accuracy you expect from your combat pistol, but I consider that entirely adequate. I live in Houston, Texas. PM me if you want to come see this for yourself so all doubt about the accuracy of a Glock or striker fired pistol can be removed. All shooting will be done with common Winchester white box ammunition, which you can pick up at any local Wal-Mart or Academy.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #27

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

You can find a bad report on any pistol if you look hard enough.I know glock to be as reliable as my Sig 226 however know that glock is not for me.Having shot several different glocks and finding that they not only did not point naturally for me but did not fit my hand in a way that was comfortable to me.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #28

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

If u felt one of these firearms fit like an extension of your arm pick that one.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Striker fired guns don't have any of the problems associated with hammer fired guns. Namely, the issue of having the hammer caught on clothing or gear while drawing the weapon, foreign objects obstructing the path to the firing pin, and issues with hammer springs in addition to firing pin springs. Any modern handgun that has more parts than absolutely necessary for function has more potential points of failure. Whether you experience a failure or not is irrelevant, the possibility exists and should be eliminated if you are serious about trusting your life to whatever weapon you choose to carry. To me, that makes striker fired guns "better".

If you have issues with Glocks, there are S&W M&P's, Caracal's, and (soon) Strike One's out there as alternatives. The Glock is not a target pistol, it doesn't look pretty, and it is not "special" in any particular way. It is a functional tool that happens to function fairly reliably under less than ideal circumstances that has the characteristics that lend itself to combat. The Glock is a working tool to me and nothing more. If someone comes up with something demonstrably better, I'll ditch the Glock without a second thought.

At contact distance, weapons with hammers or slides that extend past or very near to the edge of the frame can cause the weapon's slide to move out of battery. I use a extended (factory threaded) barrel and SureFire X300 on my Glock 17 to ensure that that doesn't happen. You can grab the slide from behind, but there's no hammer that you can catch your fingers between to prevent the weapon from firing.

I will add that I think that any weapon with an external safety lever is an impediment to concealed carry and has no place on a combat pistol. I can't tell you the number of times I've inadvertently activated or deactivated the safety on my Colt M1911 while holstering or unholstering. In close combat where someone is on top of me, I don't want to have to mess with a safety lever. I should be able to draw my weapon, pull the trigger, and it should fire. From actual practice with a real person (training partner) at contact distance using real weapons loaded with snap caps, I have personally moved the slide of the M1911 out of battery or had the hammer blocked on numerous contact distance firing attempts and would not recommend the platform to anyone who uses it for concealed carry.

At the time it was invented the M1911 was about as good as a pistol could be. Times have changed and real gunsmiths no longer assemble and test each individual pistol. The stock M1911 has no advantage over the Glock 17 in weight, ammunition capacity, accuracy (in combat form, I'm not talking about match guns which are not suitable for defense), features, or cost.

My Glock 17 Gen 4 with 3 magazines, SureFire X300, LaserMax laser, Ameriglo Tritium Sights for use with a suppressor, and several boxes of Winchester ammo still cost less than my stock Colt M1911-A1 Series 70 with 2 magazines and nothing else.

Anyone who thinks a stock Colt M1911-A1 Series 70 pistol that costs twice as much as a Glock 17 is any more accurate than a Glock 17 is welcome to come shooting with me and I will demonstrate to you that it is entirely possible to put 10 rounds into a silver dollar with either pistol at 15 yards. I'm not sure how much accuracy you expect from your combat pistol, but I consider that entirely adequate. I live in Houston, Texas. PM me if you want to come see this for yourself so all doubt about the accuracy of a Glock or striker fired pistol can be removed. All shooting will be done with common Winchester white box ammunition, which you can pick up at any local Wal-Mart or Academy.
Careful, you are about to find yourself with the fanboy moniker applied.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
If u felt one of these firearms fit like an extension of your arm pick that one.
I understand and appreciate everyone's time. I was just checking to see if there were any pros/cons to any of these, and really no cons. Sig would be great, but it's a lot to layout. So I'll be going back to reshoot these again (and maybe even a G17 for comparison again) with the feedback here. Basically I can't go wrong other than possibly a mag shortage on the FN, and dealing with some wacky SO's if I end up there down the road with the Sig. If the Sig still fits and shoots like it's me, then I'll be a proud owner.

Always good to start some converstations and get perspectives. Just everyone keep their fingers off the triggers