1st handgun purchase - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
I heard unfortunate things about the 22/45. Something about the positions for the safety and mag release? I've never shot one, or even held it, but the unanimous opinion I heard when I was looking at Rugers was to get the Mark III, not the 22/45.
The mag release and safety are right across from each other. But I have never had a problem with them. I taught my kids how to shoot a semi auto with that pistol. Have had it for over 10yrs if I remember correctly. I never heard anything about a problem with the mag/safety, but if you know where to get the information please send it to me i would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #22

.40 cal is available more often and many people will tell you how its not that much cheaper than 9mm which if you find them side by side at walmart this may be true. If you are forced to buy from anywhere else they will mark the .40 cal up sometimes 2x the price of there already marked up 9mm. In my area this has been my experience at least.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
.40 cal is available more often and many people will tell you how its not that much cheaper than 9mm which if you find them side by side at walmart this may be true. If you are forced to buy from anywhere else they will mark the .40 cal up sometimes 2x the price of there already marked up 9mm. In my area this has been my experience at least.
Same here. There is no 9mm or 45ACP but tons of .40 at the local Wal-Mart. If you get luck enough to be there when the truck comes in and even more luck if they have any they limit the amount that you can purchase to 6 boxes. Which people buy up as fast as it arrives.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I too, must chime in with my obligatory opinion. IMHO the basis of any handgun collection is a 3-4" medium frame .357 Magnum revolver. S&W K or L frame, Ruger GP-100, Speed 6 or Security 6, Colt Trooper series are all good quality general purpose handguns just as a 12 ga pump shotgun is a must have.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
For my motor vehicle gun, I keep a Tokarev 7.62x25 and 5 extra mags handy. The reason is... no big loss if someone absconds with it. This pistol is powerful, very reliable, and cheap! At 10 cents a round... I can shoot all day long and it won't break the bank.
Wow, that's smart. Now to see if there's one near me...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Carry weight makes a big difference..something to consider if you are planning a CHL in your future.

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You have a good point Fleetman. If you have to keep pulling up your pants or readjusting you holster you will not want to carry your weapon anymore. Then one day you will leave it at the house and then it will become 2 days and so forth and so on.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
If you are looking for cheap are you looking at brand new or used? The reason being is that J&G in Az is have a great sale on Police trade in Sig P226's good to very good condition $400-$450.
I have not had any first hand experience with the Bersa Thunder. I have owned a couple of Taurus's and never complained about them.

Before you go with your cheapest handguns, you need to remember "How much is your life worth?". If you shop around you can find all kind of good deals on great weapons sometime for the same price you were going to pay for your Bersa or Taurus. You also have to look at the availablty of ammo. I know that around here there is no 9mm or 45ACP but TONS and TONS of .40S&W.

Have you looked at Ruger? I purchased my wife a Ruger P95 that she loved. It was a bit blocky but a decent handgun for a beginner. We sold it a couple of years ago because she did not use it. I just bought her a Glock 19 for Christmas for $550.

I would look on GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica and see what you can find. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps and good luck.
If you can buy a Sig in this price range, and it is not too painful- Do it. I don't think you will find a better mass produced gun than a Sig. The new sigpro line is relatively inexpensive, compared to the traditions Sig lines.
Ruger makes reliable stuff. It is of lesser quality, but if it goes bang when you pull the trigger, and it shoots straight, you'll be o.k.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #29

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For a first gun i would suggest a Ruger P95 or other p series ruger can be had mad cheap NIB and are reliable guns...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I know that you would not regret getting a Ruger. I like the Ruger SR9, but that is me. I know that the P95 is a damn good hand buy for anyone looking for a solid 1st handgun.