1st handgun purchase - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Your very first handgun.
Why not a .22? For a ton of reasons.

I have the XD9sc - love it - my secound choice because of hand fit was the Bersa.

Some .40s can have more of a kick than a .45.

The XD comes with a holster, loader, extra mag & mag holder. Not anything you'ld use forever but very nice to have when you come home with your new gun. Items you'll need until you shop around and find just the right holster & mag holder & gun belt.

Been a while since you posted this - hope you had opportunity to fire both - have you picked & purchased one yet?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #12

No i have not purchased yet and am still looking. I hope to buy around February

Thanks for all the help & suggestions!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Puff does have a good point on purchasing a .22LR. You can not go wrong with that. It was the first pistol I learned to shoot.

I was able to hold and check out the Bersa Thunder at the local gun shop. It did not seem like a bad hand gun for the price. It reminded me of the Sig P232. Just a WHOLE lot cheaper.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #14

The answer should be simple go to a local gunshop and hold each gun and dry fire to test the trigger(ask first). I would suggest posting a max price you would like to spend and ask for suggestions a gun in your range. Also because you mention inexpensive I would suggest a 9mm because ammo will be much cheaper and a good defense round will rival that of most other calibers. Find an indoor gun range/store and go there and rent some guns to see what you like or join a local gun forum if available members will usually be happy to allow you to shoot their guns.

It seems to me your price would be around 400 max so Ill suggest a few. All suggested pistols are 9mm.

1. Arcus 98dac Its a wonderful pistol and very reliable(not well known) 339.99
Arcus 98DAC 9MM Compact Size. New

2.Stoeger Cougar 8000 ~350 9mm 15+1
3.bersa thunder 9 17+1 ~350
4.you can sometimes find glocks for around 400 used I will not be specific here any glock works

Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've always been fond of my Keltec P-11 and PF9. They work every time and are a good value. Just make sure, as with firearm, to run enough rounds through for reliability and familiarity.

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #16

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

take a look at the Ruger P series.They come in 9mm,.40 and .45 and are as inexpensive as Taurus,but made in the USA.I personally would go with 9mm since the ammo is darn near 1/2 the price of .45 acp,and as far as I know you can use +P ammo in the 9mm to give you the power of a .45 when using for defense.I just got a P95 9mm and it is great.

dscf6560.jpg  

Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
I've always been fond of my Keltec P-11 and PF9. They work every time and are a good value. Just make sure, as with firearm, to run enough rounds through for reliability and familiarity.

I was looking in to getting the P11 but just can not bring myself to get one. I like the Kahr PM9 but not the price tag. Then I have a Sig P239 but it is almost the same size as my P229 so I end up carrying that instead.

The hard part right now about shooting is finding ammo. ALL the local stores are always sold out and the local gun shop almost doubled the price of there ammo. Wal-Mart always has .40 but I am not to fond of that caliber nor do I want to start purchasing a different ammo and weapon.

Ruger does have some very nice handguns. I really like there new SR9. But I purchased my wife a new Glock 19 for Christmas to replace her Ruger P95 which she never shot (because she liked my Sig P220) so that went out the door. My b-day is coming up so you never know.

Taurus does make some very nice handguns. Have had a Taurus 92 since the early 90's and have never had a problem it. I also have one of there 6" .357 revolver's which is a great pistol.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Obligatory Ruger Mk III post. The rundown:

1) Cheap to shoot. 2 bucks for 50 rounds at my local Gander Mtn.
2) Accurate. I've only been shooting since August, and I get consistent 1.5-inch groups at 10 yards with this thing.
3) Durable. Barrel and receiver are made from the same piece of steel. I'm told my grandkids will be able to shoot this gun after I'm long gone.
4) Reliable. I've got about 5000 rounds through it, and it's stovepiped a couple casings of Winchester bulk (crap) ammo. CCI, Remington, and Federal all shoot 100% clean.

The gun itself is a little pricey, $400 for a 5.5-inch bull barrel model, $600 for the 7-inch model I own, but completely worth it, for a plinking gun. It is a .22, though, so if you're going to carry, it's definitely not ideal.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Have you tried the Ruger 22/45? If you like the 1911 you will love this little Ruger. I think it is more accurate the the MKII. Not sure about the MKIII have not shot one but from what I hear I might have to get one.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
Have you tried the Ruger 22/45? If you like the 1911 you will love this little Ruger. I think it is more accurate the the MKII. Not sure about the MKIII have not shot one but from what I hear I might have to get one.
I heard unfortunate things about the 22/45. Something about the positions for the safety and mag release? I've never shot one, or even held it, but the unanimous opinion I heard when I was looking at Rugers was to get the Mark III, not the 22/45.