Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st handgun purchase

I am looking to buy my 1st handgun and i was looking for some opinions on 2 guns :

1. Bersa Thunder 9 Pro series (40 cal)

2. Taurus .45 ACP

Why did i choose these 2 manufacturers? (they are cheap) and for my 1st gun i want an inexpensive one.

I know absolutely nothing about guns so please be kind!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will research both these guns for you and give u my opinion. I like cheap guns also. Ive looked up both these guns online and read some reviews and I do not see much negative information about either one. Personally I would go with the 45 but thats just personal preference. Shop around though sometimes you can find a slightly used gun that has had a couple hundred rounds fired through it for the same price. I bought a used 9mm p6 for 300 dollars and its an awesome handgun for the money I spent on it. If you know what you are looking for in a used handgun you can get a good deal sometimes.

Last edited by tiberius10721; 11-29-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I like the Bersa over the Taurus, in here Bersas are popular as well as Taurus but the .45 double stake mags of some 24/7 Taurus are know for FTF (just the .45 caliber and the 24/7 series, I don't know the 800 series but they evolved from the 24/7 series...), buy a Taurus 9mm or the Bersa 9mm, both are excellent choices, plus, 9mm is cheaper and available.
Bersa Thunder 9mm 17+1 capacity $339
Taurus 24/7 9mm 17+1 capacity $363

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Never forget the adage "you get what you pay for" it is as true for guns as everything else. Not bashing either Bersa or Taurus but price should be but one factor in this decision. Neither Bersa or Taurus has great resale value so if it isn't what you hoped - you'll lose a lot to upgrade...

Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I recently bought a Taurus 24/7, 4" bbl, 12+1 double stack. This is now my "keep in the truck" pistol. It was a $400 pistol, so if it gets lost it is not such a big deal as it would be if I lost my 1911 SS Gold Cup, or my Browning Hi-Power. I like the idea of having the extra rounds in the magazine.

So far I have been very impressed with this pistol. It shoots very well. No doubt my Gold Cup is a better "quality" pistol, but the Taurus is more than adequate for the task.

TXnorton

Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Never forget the adage "you get what you pay for" it is as true for guns as everything else. Not bashing either Bersa or Taurus but price should be but one factor in this decision. Neither Bersa or Taurus has great resale value so if it isn't what you hoped - you'll lose a lot to upgrade...
couldnt have said it better myself....you took the words right out of my mouth

Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For my motor vehicle gun, I keep a Tokarev 7.62x25 and 5 extra mags handy. The reason is... no big loss if someone absconds with it. This pistol is powerful, very reliable, and cheap! At 10 cents a round... I can shoot all day long and it won't break the bank.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
For my motor vehicle gun, I keep a Tokarev 7.62x25 and 5 extra mags handy. The reason is... no big loss if someone absconds with it. This pistol is powerful, very reliable, and cheap! At 10 cents a round... I can shoot all day long and it won't break the bank.
Indeed Mark, nice little semi and shooter, very reliable, powerful rounds and cheap to feed.

I suspect the Russians wanted good penetration due the heavy winter clothes the Germans were wearing and needed multiple hits for a kill.

You used to be able to get a 1911 conversion for the 7.62x25, I have no idea who made them and I have seen just a few around lately.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
I am looking to buy my 1st handgun and i was looking for some opinions on 2 guns :

1. Bersa Thunder 9 Pro series (40 cal)

2. Taurus .45 ACP

Why did i choose these 2 manufacturers? (they are cheap) and for my 1st gun i want an inexpensive one.

I know absolutely nothing about guns so please be kind!

If you are looking for cheap are you looking at brand new or used? The reason being is that J&G in Az is have a great sale on Police trade in Sig P226's good to very good condition $400-$450.
I have not had any first hand experience with the Bersa Thunder. I have owned a couple of Taurus's and never complained about them.

Before you go with your cheapest handguns, you need to remember "How much is your life worth?". If you shop around you can find all kind of good deals on great weapons sometime for the same price you were going to pay for your Bersa or Taurus. You also have to look at the availablty of ammo. I know that around here there is no 9mm or 45ACP but TONS and TONS of .40S&W.

Have you looked at Ruger? I purchased my wife a Ruger P95 that she loved. It was a bit blocky but a decent handgun for a beginner. We sold it a couple of years ago because she did not use it. I just bought her a Glock 19 for Christmas for $550.

I would look on GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica and see what you can find. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I have a friend that bought a Bersa Thunder 40, for the performance and quality it has an excellent price. I think he paid about $350 new. Being priced that low for a metal framed pistol it does put a very good weapon into the hands of a person that just can't afford Colt, Beretta, S&W high end stuff. Even though I'd rather have a 1911 I certainly would't pass up getting a Bersa Thunder.