Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st Handgun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st Handgun??

What was your 1st handgun you ever owned and how did that experience manifest what you shoot today??

My 1st was a Full size brushed chrome .40S&W baby eagle that weighs a ton, but shoots straight as hell.

I now prefer the SA over DA that my 1911's offer. (think it has to do with the same pull/poundage every shot) Plus ive never held a gun that felt as if it were a part of my hand right out the box. I prefer an aluminium frame, but have owned both. Unlike other things in life(cars, electronics) I prefer american arms to their foreign counterparts as we make them very well. Im also young(29), but oldschool in thought as I have not crossed over into the world of synthetic/polymer pieces as of yet. Although I have shot many and in the market for a Sig/Hk .(Might catch some flack, But I hate GLOCK!!!!!) Look forward to conversing with you all and contributing to this site.....Harry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #2

My first handgun was given to me by my father when I turned 18. It was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 6' barrel. He bought it back from me when I just had to have a Glock 32 .357 Sig. I like all types of handguns. When I was younger, I leaned towards the newest, "Cool" looking, hi-cap handguns, but as I age, I'm more interested in revolvers. I've also learned the hard lesson of "You get what you pay for".

Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #3

First gun was a GLOCK 23...shot it at my gun saftey class and I did not do well at all...Instructor told me that .40 was not a good choice for a begginer. Well, with a blow to my ego I decided to buy one and get really good w/it. Seven guns later, it is my favorite to carry and shoot.

Glock 23
Smith & Wesson New 520
Taurus 651
Taurus PT92

Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The first handgun I personally owned was a Springfield Armory XD in 45ACP. 4 inch barrel, 13 round mags......Watched the price of ammo climb so I got into reloading. I LOVE the weapon! It's been as reliable as a rock, accurate, and it sleeps in my night stand!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

S&W model 41. .22 target pistol. Traded for Smith M-67. I got took, big time.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My first was the H&R Sportsman I aquired. It started me on my road to pistol ownership and kept me going because it didn't work and I wanted one that did. I now own 4 pistols and am planning on at least 2 more at the moment

Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

My first handgun is the 4" S&W Model 19 I picked up for $299 in 2005. I'm not sure that any specific handgun purchases followed because of what I bought. I purchased the .357 for hd. I was looking for a 4" barrel to get more accuracy. It's not a carry piece.

I next bought a Bulgarian Makarov. I bought that because I wanted a semi-auto and the ruggedness of the all steel gun and the fixed barrel appealed to me. I love the gun, but, I also think I should get something that shoots 9mm luger rounds because they're cheaper.

I also have a Model 1903 Colt Hammerless in .32 ACP. I just purchased that because I'm attracted to the design and looks of the gun. I love shooting it, but I have no intentions of making it a go to gun.

Next is a Browning Buckmark Camper. I purchased that because I preferred the looks of it to the other Browning and Ruger .22s. It's mainly for practice.

I collected these for one main reason: to be able to be proficient in all styles of handgun. I figured that if you're going to use guns, you should know a range of guns.

This is what I decided I need:

A .22 semi-auto and revolver to learn how to shoot and do it cheaply.
Browning Buckmark

A mid caliber semi-auto and revolver
Bulgarian Makarov and S&W Model 19

A large caliber semi-auto and revolver

Still need the .22 revolver and the large calibers. I'm leaning towards a single six for the .22. Because I love historical guns, I'm waiting to find a nice, affordable GI .45 for the large caliber. I'm also considering a single action in .45 Colt or 44-40.

I feel the same way about rifles, but that's for another post....

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #8

Default First Handgun

The first handgun was my great uncle's S&W Military Police, 6" .38Spl, nickeled (or what was left of it.)

The first one I bought was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357Mag. Long since gone.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first handgun I owned was a .25 caliber Spesco Falcon semi-auto that I carried in my pocket at work. Since I was only seventeen and four years shy of being legal age to buy a real handgun, I didn't have many to choose from.This pistol was still a clean sell because I was with the original buyer when he bought it new. I made up for lost time later on and went on to buy the ones I always wanted.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #10

My first was a Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 80, I got it in 1980 and had it hard chrome plated, trigger job, beaver tail grip safety, extened mag release, beveled mag well, ambo. slide release, and bobed and polished hammer. I still have today and it is the best shooting smoothest triggered gun I have ever fired. John

It's not the size of the dog in the fight-It's the size of the fight in the dog.