Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   1st Handgun?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/1st-handgun-4165/)

DirtyHarry 04-20-2008 01:31 PM

1st Handgun??

What was your 1st handgun you ever owned and how did that experience manifest what you shoot today??

My 1st was a Full size brushed chrome .40S&W baby eagle that weighs a ton, but shoots straight as hell.

I now prefer the SA over DA that my 1911's offer. (think it has to do with the same pull/poundage every shot) Plus ive never held a gun that felt as if it were a part of my hand right out the box. I prefer an aluminium frame, but have owned both. Unlike other things in life(cars, electronics) I prefer american arms to their foreign counterparts as we make them very well. Im also young(29), but oldschool in thought as I have not crossed over into the world of synthetic/polymer pieces as of yet. Although I have shot many and in the market for a Sig/Hk .(Might catch some flack, But I hate GLOCK!!!!!) Look forward to conversing with you all and contributing to this site.....Harry;)

chorst294 04-21-2008 02:22 AM

My first handgun was given to me by my father when I turned 18. It was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 6' barrel. He bought it back from me when I just had to have a Glock 32 .357 Sig. I like all types of handguns. When I was younger, I leaned towards the newest, "Cool" looking, hi-cap handguns, but as I age, I'm more interested in revolvers. I've also learned the hard lesson of "You get what you pay for".

Don Lu 04-21-2008 02:36 AM

First gun was a GLOCK 23...shot it at my gun saftey class and I did not do well at all...Instructor told me that .40 was not a good choice for a begginer. Well, with a blow to my ego I decided to buy one and get really good w/it. Seven guns later, it is my favorite to carry and shoot.

spittinfire 04-21-2008 05:24 AM

The first handgun I personally owned was a Springfield Armory XD in 45ACP. 4 inch barrel, 13 round mags......Watched the price of ammo climb so I got into reloading. I LOVE the weapon! It's been as reliable as a rock, accurate, and it sleeps in my night stand!

robocop10mm 04-21-2008 03:34 PM

S&W model 41. .22 target pistol. Traded for Smith M-67. I got took, big time.

fapprez 04-21-2008 08:17 PM

My first was the H&R Sportsman I aquired. It started me on my road to pistol ownership and kept me going because it didn't work and I wanted one that did. I now own 4 pistols and am planning on at least 2 more at the moment:)

ScottG 04-23-2008 10:35 PM

My first handgun is the 4" S&W Model 19 I picked up for $299 in 2005. I'm not sure that any specific handgun purchases followed because of what I bought. I purchased the .357 for hd. I was looking for a 4" barrel to get more accuracy. It's not a carry piece.

I next bought a Bulgarian Makarov. I bought that because I wanted a semi-auto and the ruggedness of the all steel gun and the fixed barrel appealed to me. I love the gun, but, I also think I should get something that shoots 9mm luger rounds because they're cheaper.

I also have a Model 1903 Colt Hammerless in .32 ACP. I just purchased that because I'm attracted to the design and looks of the gun. I love shooting it, but I have no intentions of making it a go to gun.

Next is a Browning Buckmark Camper. I purchased that because I preferred the looks of it to the other Browning and Ruger .22s. It's mainly for practice.

I collected these for one main reason: to be able to be proficient in all styles of handgun. I figured that if you're going to use guns, you should know a range of guns.

This is what I decided I need:

A .22 semi-auto and revolver to learn how to shoot and do it cheaply.
Browning Buckmark

A mid caliber semi-auto and revolver
Bulgarian Makarov and S&W Model 19

A large caliber semi-auto and revolver

Still need the .22 revolver and the large calibers. I'm leaning towards a single six for the .22. Because I love historical guns, I'm waiting to find a nice, affordable GI .45 for the large caliber. I'm also considering a single action in .45 Colt or 44-40.

I feel the same way about rifles, but that's for another post....

alfsauve 04-24-2008 02:24 AM

First Handgun

The first handgun was my great uncle's S&W Military Police, 6" .38Spl, nickeled (or what was left of it.)

The first one I bought was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357Mag. Long since gone.

DoubleAction 05-01-2008 02:16 PM

The first handgun I owned was a .25 caliber Spesco Falcon semi-auto that I carried in my pocket at work. Since I was only seventeen and four years shy of being legal age to buy a real handgun, I didn't have many to choose from.This pistol was still a clean sell because I was with the original buyer when he bought it new. I made up for lost time later on and went on to buy the ones I always wanted.

yankee2500 05-18-2008 01:04 AM

My first was a Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 80, I got it in 1980 and had it hard chrome plated, trigger job, beaver tail grip safety, extened mag release, beveled mag well, ambo. slide release, and bobed and polished hammer. I still have today and it is the best shooting smoothest triggered gun I have ever fired. John