1st gun for mom of 5 boys, protection &target - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

1st gun for mom of 5 boys, protection &target

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4002 Times on 2057 Posts
Likes Given: 493

I believe a sturdy 4" double action revolver in .357 Magnum is the cornerstone of a handgun collection. A Ruger GP-100, S&W 66, 65, 686 are very good options. Not much bad to say about any of them. .38 Special ammo is plentiful and easy on the shooter. +P or Magnum ammo for real use gives many options.

A 9mm semi-auto is an excellent option also. Glock 19, S&W M&P, Springfield XD or XDM, Walther P-99 are all excellent firearms.

Avoid going small. You do not need to conceal it so go mid size to full size, they are much easier to shoot well.

As far as a .22 auto pistol. Browning Buckmark, Ruger MkII or MkIII, S&W 22A. All have very good reputations. .22's will require good cleaning as the ammo is rather dirty, but very inexpensive.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2330 Times on 1272 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

Are your boys going to be brand new shooters? If so, I would recomend a 22 rifle. I am a father and have trained a lot of kids about firearm safety. I used to teach survival skills to church kids. It was like the boy scouts. The reason I recomend a rifle, is because in a split second a kid can do something unexpected. It is a lot easier and safer to try to grab a rifle barrel than a pistol barrel if a youngster suddenly points it where they shouldn't. I took several years of rifle shooting before I let my son shoot a pistol. He is now able to give me a run for my money at the range. He is 13. You can go to Walmart and pick up a 22 marlin rifle for just over $100. Then get 500 rounds to shoot for about $20. 500 rounds amoung a bunch of kids is an all day affair. You will all have a blast.

With a $100 rifle you can find a little nicer self defense gun. I like Smith and Wesson revolvers myself. But that is just me.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #23

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't know what is available in ILL but in Indiana I would first recomend an NRA introduction to firearms course.

Then rent / borrow what you think you want and get in some range time before you buy. If that is not possible buy good used and trade up as your needs ( ability ) change.

I like to start new shooters with 22 cal and when they get compent move up thru the calibers as far as they are comfortable. Most time you can rent a gun at a local range for $20.00 or less if you buy the ammo there - - - barely the cost of cleaning and maintaining!

If you are a new shooter and want to go 45 cal 1911 I would expect about 3 weeks, one on 22 finishing with 38 or 9 MM, second with the 38 or 9 MM finishing with the 45, third week with the 45.

This progression sets good muscle memory ( no bucking or flinching ) and should have you as a compent ( not expert ) shooter.

I would get a 22 that matches your chosen weapon as closely as possible. If it is going to cost you $80.00 to $100.00 every time you go to the range for Ammo you will stay away. Take the 22 and burn it up followed by one or two mags thru the 45 and keep you skills going up!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #24

Have you thought of a ruger .38 snob nose. Has some weight reliable will drop someone and you can get them in inckle plating. Mibe is a 5 shot that i use as cc gun. My hunting buddys 8 yr likes to shoot it

Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #25

Liked 37 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Sgt

I recommend you go to Cornered Cat and research that site thoroughly. I am concerned about your misconceptions on "plastic guns". Research the Glock 19...It is one of, if not the most, dependable 9mm handguns on the market. Weight of a weapon does not equate to dependability nor accuracy nor stopping ability. Looks of a weapon do not equate to ability to use in a self defense situation. Intimidation is acquired through knowledge, training, mindset, skills, and then gear. One can have a "heavy" and "pretty" weapon and be skilled at punching holes in paper targets and not have a clue as to how to handle themselves under stress and to function in a self defense situation. I applaud your sincere desire to acquire the knowledge and skills to defend yourself and your family, and also to integrate your sons into the picture as well. All I'm saying is, take a step back, reconsider some of the "preconceived" notions you have expressed, ...JMO
I have been on Cornered Cat and love that site! I thank you for your concern, but please know I am not questioning the dependability of a Glock, I do not question the accuracy, or stop ability. If my father keeps one under his fave chair, its good enough for me! My personal preference is that I woul LIKE something that feels a little heavier. For example, I am a pen junkie, there are some beautiful expensive pens that write like a dream, but if they are too light because they are made of plastic or some kind of composite, I will not buy them. I like to feel the weight of the pen in my hand. A $100 pen that feels like a bic, is not for me. My fave pen is a fountain pen made of metal and for a pen it is heavy!

Yes the most important factor is a quality gun that will serve the purpose of protecting my family first and foremost!
...but, with all the quality options out there , why wouldn't I get exactly what I want? Plenty of guns that are "pretty" to me will Get the job done and then some.

Would you buy a car that is dependable but you really didnt like the body, when there is a car equally dependable with a body style you love, and in the same price range?

I have no pre conceived notions about a Glock..other than, IMO, it feels like a toy. I know it certainly does not perform like a toy, and it is a serious weapon.

If I am dropping a grand on a couple guns, I want guns that not only meet the needs of my family, but I want guns that I love to look at. I dont tnink there is anything wrong woth that.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #26

Liked 37 Times on 16 Posts

Many of you have talked about revolvers. I am seriously considering one. My notion of a 1911 ( damn Les Baer for taunting me w/ the gorgeous $7000 engraved 1911 on the cover of Handgunner) is quickly fading. Maybe my 2nd or 3rd purchase. God Bless that man for making me love the way a gun looks! It must be the accessory designer in me.

Anyway, any more comments on revolvers specifically for my needs would be appreciated! HD and target shooting.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 9983 Times on 5964 Posts
Likes Given: 14061

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelRockRebel View Post
I have been on Cornered Cat and love that site! I thank you for your concern, but please know I am not questioning the dependability of a Glock, I do not question the accuracy, or stop ability. If my father keeps one under his fave chair, its good enough for me! My personal preference is that I woul LIKE something that feels a little heavier. For example, I am a pen junkie, there are some beautiful expensive pens that write like a dream, but if they are too light because they are made of plastic or some kind of composite, I will not buy them. I like to feel the weight of the pen in my hand. A $100 pen that feels like a bic, is not for me. My fave pen is a fountain pen made of metal and for a pen it is heavy!

Yes the most important factor is a quality gun that will serve the purpose of protecting my family first and foremost!
...but, with all the quality options out there , why wouldn't I get exactly what I want? Plenty of guns that are "pretty" to me will Get the job done and then some.

Would you buy a car that is dependable but you really didnt like the body, when there is a car equally dependable with a body style you love, and in the same price range?

I have no pre conceived notions about a Glock..other than, IMO, it feels like a toy. I know it certainly does not perform like a toy, and it is a serious weapon.

If I am dropping a grand on a couple guns, I want guns that not only meet the needs of my family, but I want guns that I love to look at. I dont tnink there is anything wrong woth that.

I agree with you, Bel. You can find the perfect gun that you like the looks, feel and specifications. Don't be in any hurry. Shop around until you find the one that screams out your name. Check out the Ruger GP100. You might like it. It'll last forever and it will serve you well. AND, I think it's a beautiful gun at a good price.

It's funny you should mention pens. I have a metal pen I've used for several years now. My co-workers laugh at me. It has 'heft' to it and I would be lost without it.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #28

Everyone has different size hands.
I mention this because you said that you wanted your son's to shoot, you didn't mention your husband.
Hubby & I thought that the two of us could use the same gun(s) when we got into shooting, recreational & something around the house, too.

Some lessons that we quickly learned: I have small hands, he has x-large. There are guns that I just can't control the recoil because I have to stretch so far to reach the trigger. He has his guns, I have mine. We both have our own .22 Mark II Ruger pistols. Same pistol with different grips so the gun will fit. It is too much trouble (interfers with fun to have to stop plinking!!!) to change grips. I can hardly reach the trigger of his pistol, certainly not shoot with any accuracy. He says he feels like his hand will cramp trying to shoot mine.

As for children, mine are grown now, however; My son's used my guns as they were growing, including my (short) shotgun & my 22 rimfire youth (read shorter stock) model rifle.
The boys eventually grew into their father's guns. They chose & recieved their own when they stopped growing.
My daughter is now larger than me, but not as large as her brothers so she uses most of my pistols but she uses most of the longer pull long guns now.
My daughter, my son that has the smaller hands & I love the way my S&W 9c feels. The x-large hands don't like it. This has a backstrap that will change the size of the grip.

Again, we bought the 22rimfire pistols & rifles used. We were in Gander Mtn & they had a Mark II, & since I had been looking, we snapped it up. The previous owner hand not shot it much, there was more closet dust than shooting dirt. No box, no extra mag, but it was in good shape.

I have a revolver, a S&W Model 64 snubbie (mfg. 1989). I bought it used. Talk about heft . . . It is all stainless steel & I can hit where I aim better than anything else I own! It shoots .38. I replaced the original wooden grips (they looked pretty but were very impractical for shooting) with hogue grips. I own several 9mm semi & 1 .380. all S&W. They just seem to fit my small hands.

My x-large hands husband likes Sigs. He bought several used, so they were made in West Germany. They are all steel/metal guns. One has an engraved police number on it, but it is a shooter. We don't collect guns, but the quantities, it sure looks like it sometimes. According to the press I have a huge stockpile. . . But, we all like different makes & models & with different hand sizes . . .

The price of ammo in VA from least expensive: .22 rimfire, 9mm, $ jump for .38. Then .45 & .380 are about the same. We shoot a lot of 9mm, & more .22rimfire (pistol & rifle).

I use this analogy: Guns & driving a car are very similar. When I drive a car, I adjust it to fit : move the seat & mirrors, & since I can't bottom the clutch in our truck without considerable stretching & contortions I try not to drive it. Guns are the same, different weights, different sights, different grips, different trigger pull weight, different trigger distance from grip, different cant of the grip relative to the barrel or slide, etc. . . .

Sorry so long, but Good Luck!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #29

Liked 3159 Times on 1797 Posts
Likes Given: 2325

Hi BelRockRebel,

Welcome to the FTF.

First, IIRC, there's no age limit on these NRA classes,

and most instructors would be glad to have you sit

with your boys while you take the classes

together.

I took my first NRA shooting safety course when I was 11.

The lessons learned, and the qualification card I got have

lasted a lifetime.

Second, this is a great way to hold sway over the guy's

behavior, much better than Santa.

Third, there are 22LR pistols which are fashioned after the 1911A1.

A great training tool for possibly getting a .45ACP- 1911 later.

Also keep in mind getting a 22LR rifle for training, practice,

and the inevitable family competitions at the range.

As for home/self defense, try to rent and borrow as many

calibers as you can, and make up your own mind.

And feel free to ask any of us here about any issues you may have.

Last edited by therewolf; 11-29-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My background is is a state firearms instructor 25+ years, 20+ years as an NRA instructor, 5 yrs of running a BSA rifle range during the summer, and most of all a dad who has raised two daughters to be shooters. As an earlier responder said the best move would be to find a .22 cal. rifle either a bolt or hinge action. Your #1 concern is getting the whole family home safely. Rifles have a longer barrel and so it is easier to teach muzzle control and keeping the muzzle in your zone of fire. A .22 is good because the recoil is manageable for even my 5 yr old granddaughter. The Marlin 15 y is a single shot that you and your husband can also enjoy. The cost of ,22 ammo means that the whole family can shoot for an afternoon for $20. Starting with a scope seems strange ,however, a new shooter has enough to do with position, breathing, sight picture, squeezing, and follow through is simplified. Instead of aligning rear sight, front sight, and target; all that need be aligned is the cross hairs and the target. When the essentials are mastered then you should start thinking along the lines of self defense. Have fun!