1st gun for mom of 5 boys, protection &target - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1st gun for mom of 5 boys, protection &target

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelRockRebel View Post
Researching 1st gun for myself for home & personal protection, (not conceal though...live in Illinois) Also will do target shooting with my sons. Never shot anything other than shotguns. Hubby travels, protection important, but want to shoot for hobby too. Boys ages 6, 7, 9, 13, 15. Suggestions? 1911 appealing.
If you've shot shotguns before they are actually the best imo for home defence less need to be accurate

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7142 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
PS: You should start a boy-band.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 776

Get the two guns.

#1 Take a NRA class if you haven't yet.

#2 Buy a .22. Everyone needs a .22. It's probably the one rule everyone on this forum can agree upon. Ruger and Browning make great .22 semi-autos. Smith & Wesson and Ruger make great .22 revolvers. You can shoot .22's all day long, 7 days a week, and you bank account won't blink an eye.

#3 Buy a 9mm, .357, .40, or .45 for home protection. There are more choices than I could list for that group.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with everyone here about the NRA class, that is something everyone needs to take and retake every so many years.

Now 1911's look intimidating and are a wonderful gun to shoot. Are they great for a first gun, that is up to how confident you are in yourself. Your ability to deal with a gun that can be a pain to take apart, but nothing feels better in your hand then a steel frame. One option is a 9mm 1911, you have a great round for target shooting and with the right ammo it is good for defense. I prefer a gun with a hammer and safety, now that is just me. For a target gun you can find many 1911 frame 22 guns and you can also buy a 22 conversion for your 9mm 1911. ( yes I love 1911's).
Now Glocks are great and very reliable, they do feel plastic and I worried about if it was loaded all the time. I have owned 7 of them and do recommend then if you want a low maintenance gun. You can buy a 40 cal and then a 357 sig barrel for home defense. That will cost you 125 for the extra barrel. The reason I say get the 40 cal is that you can change the barrel to a 9mm or a 357 sig, I am not sure if the 9mm glock can be changed to any other barrel. Someone else can answer that.
As far as revolvers go, their pros, easy to clean, you can check to see if loaded and very reliable. Cons long trigger pull and only 6 rounds.
Just continue to do research and shoot as many guns as you can. The unfortunate thing about rental guns is, they are abused most of the time. So my advice find something that feels good in your hand and that you can control. When you buy it new it should preform way better.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

I would suggest that any of you that think you dont have to be accurate with a shotgun, pattern your shotgun at 7 yards with your defense load.
A tactical/short barreled shotgun is a good home defense weapon and will have less wall penetration with proper loads. You dont want bullets going through walls and into the kids rooms. You will need a defense plan to keep the family safe. You will have to know where you can and cant shoot. You will need to know who is in the house and get them to a safe zone if there is trouble.
Pistols are handier but the shotgun is more intimidating. A carbine takes less training and is also more intimidating. I am not trying to discourage you from getting handguns. Personally I would not like to be in front of any gun but there are some aspects of home defense you need to consider.
There is nothing wrong with the 1911 in 45ACP. My wife has shot a light weight compact with no problem and she is small. However we have gotten older and recoil is harder for her to handle. She now shoots a 9mm. I still like the 45. and have a Glock and and XD in 45. It is a good idea to get a 22lr to go along with it. The Browning Buckmark has a solid reputation and is reasonably priced. The Rugers are very good also but a little harder to assemble.
While it is still a polymer frame, the Springfield XD series are very reliable and weigh about 8 oz more than the Glocks. For me, they have better ergonomics and are easier to shoot accurately.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7142 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
A tactical/short barreled shotgun is a good home defense weapon and will have less wall penetration with proper loads. You dont want bullets going through walls and into the kids rooms. You will need a defense plan to keep the family safe. You will have to know where you can and cant shoot. You will need to know who is in the house and get them to a safe zone if there is trouble.
Pistols are handier but the shotgun is more intimidating.
Very good point, indeed, and something to always remember and think about.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I have to echo what a lot are saying on here. A shotgun would make a good HD weapon. Revolvers are a good HD also. Yes you only have 6 rounds, but hopefully you won't need more than that. Easy to maintain and very reliable. I have a S&W 586 that I use for HD and will throw in my CC rotation.

Don't throw Glocks out early. I have 2 and really enjoy them. Very easy to maintain and I haven't really had any issues with mine. I normally carry a G-23 as my primary. And I know, they're plastic and light and blah, blah blah!!

As you stated, I would go to a range that rents different weapons. Find one that fits you and your budget. And shoot different calibers. Don't let some gunshop guy try to talk you into something you don't want. A lot of people will look at a woman and tell them they need a 9 mm or something small. I've seen a lot of women handle a .45 better than a lot of guys. Do your research and "test drive" a few. Get what YOU want. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If the boys are gonna learn to shoot, you need a .22. You should get a .22 similar in size, weight, and function to your HD handgun.

My choice would be a Ruger SP101 in .22lr and another in .357 Magnum. About $450 each.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelRockRebel View Post
Wow. Thanks for replying so fast!

Budget is negotiable. Considering buying two guns so that I can take my boys and/ or my husband to the range with me. Handled my Dads 9mm Glock, did not shoot it, but I did not like all the plastic, felt too light, and when the slide was removed it felt like a toy. I definately would like something a little more substantial than the feel of that. I do plan on going to our range to try different models. Being a newbie I just need a place to start. In my mind, I think I would love a 1911, pretty sure I could handle a .45. I plan on taking up target shooting for fun and will probably go to the range 2x week. .45 ammo cost is not appealing though. I really want to hone my marksmanship skills and to do that I assume I will go through lots of ammo.

So... I want a gun with as little plastic as possible, I want to feel some weight, I NEED to be able to drop someone should they threaten my sons, I want to learn how to shoot well at the range and maybe even compete. I am slightly embarrassed to say I want the gun to look intimidating in a pretty way. Love silver, not black.

Being somewhat obsessive about this, I do plan on learning that gun inside and out. I will know how to DCOA, and I Wool learn about the acceptable ammo.

I will put whatever time, research,and practice I need, in order to become proficient with a gun that might typically be too much for a woman, keeping in mind that my sons will be able to shoot it as well.
I recommend you go to Cornered Cat and research that site thoroughly. I am concerned about your misconceptions on "plastic guns". Research the Glock 19...It is one of, if not the most, dependable 9mm handguns on the market. Weight of a weapon does not equate to dependability nor accuracy nor stopping ability. Looks of a weapon do not equate to ability to use in a self defense situation. Intimidation is acquired through knowledge, training, mindset, skills, and then gear. One can have a "heavy" and "pretty" weapon and be skilled at punching holes in paper targets and not have a clue as to how to handle themselves under stress and to function in a self defense situation. I applaud your sincere desire to acquire the knowledge and skills to defend yourself and your family, and also to integrate your sons into the picture as well. All I'm saying is, take a step back, reconsider some of the "preconceived" notions you have expressed, do a little more research, try some different weapons out, to include "plastic" guns, and then make your choices. Remember, the weapon you choose and train with is what YOU will bet YOUR life on...Choose well. Good luck, stay safe, and TRAIN with a REPUTABLE trainer and then TRAIN some more with a DIFFERENT REPUTABLE trainer...JMO

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves. ~Nietzsche

Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #20

If you are in the 1911 market id look into a RIA 1911 9mm and for a 2nd gun there are several good 1911-22 out there from chiappa,gsg,sig and many other companies for reasonable money. You could get both these guns for under $900