Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1K in my pocket...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
The Glock 19 is an awesome carry gun if you like plastic guns. It is their top selling model I believe. I have shot several and like them but in general I prefer steel and wood guns. The RIA 1911's are great guns for the money. If you get one I would get the enhanced models with the better sights, beaver tail etc.... They are only a few dollars more and more enjoyable to shoot. I own 3 RIA guns and am well pleased with them.
I'm curious about something you recommended. Why do you think the beaver tail is a desired feature? I agree with your sight comment, and I can understand the reasoning. To me the beaver tail makes the 1911 harder to conceal. Do you consider it a safety or operation improvement? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I understand the sig is nothing like the Glock. I really appreciate all the comments thus far. I seem to be getting a lot of nods toward the m&p, is there a particular reason? I've shot all the guns mentioned here except that one.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

I love my p229 however I would never consider it as a ccw gun maybe a open carry gun.
Very accurate and the trigger is mighty fine.
The p229 stays in my GO gear

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I also failed to mention the 1911 would be strictly a range gun, and that's pure personal preference. I've carried both SA/DA and striker guns and really have no preference. The 1911 I plan on turning into a project to be as close as I'll ever get to a WW2 era M1911A1. I've also been curious about the XDM. I know this will open a can of worms but xd/glock/m&p is there really that much difference?

Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I'm curious about something you recommended. Why do you think the beaver tail is a desired feature? I agree with your sight comment, and I can understand the reasoning. To me the beaver tail makes the 1911 harder to conceal. Do you consider it a safety or operation improvement? Thanks.
I'll tell you why I want it. Because it makes the pistol much more comfortable to shoot. A long time ago when I was looking to get my first pistol, one of the pistols I tried was a Colt government 1911 (no beavertail). I found it very uncomfortable. The web between my finger and thumb got sore very quickly. I didn't buy it.

Not too long afterwards, I had the opportunity to shoot a Springfield with a beavertail. It felt like an entirely different gun. Needless to say, my 1911 has a beavertail on it, and I could shoot that all day long with no fatigue.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderAFW View Post
I also failed to mention the 1911 would be strictly a range gun, and that's pure personal preference. I've carried both SA/DA and striker guns and really have no preference. The 1911 I plan on turning into a project to be as close as I'll ever get to a WW2 era M1911A1. I've also been curious about the XDM. I know this will open a can of worms but xd/glock/m&p is there really that much difference?
Yes. There is a significant difference to me in the feel of the grip angle between the Glocks and the Springfields/S&Ws. That's the primary reason I don't own a Glock. They just feel terrible in my hand.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #17

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would highly disagree with the recommendations of buying one gun and spending the rest on ammo. Once you burn through the ammo, you've got nothing left of your money. But a second gun and you'll have still have something of value that can be sold or traded on something else in the future of necessary.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #18

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

If you're wanting Sig for a ccw rather than a 229 (it is thick for a carry piece)I would highly recommend the 239.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #19

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I love my p229 however I would never consider it as a ccw gun maybe a open carry gun.
Very accurate and the trigger is mighty fine.
The p229 stays in my GO gear
Maybe its just me because im not used to sig triggers but on the p220 and p226 the trigger felt lengthy and not very crisp???
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What are y'all's opinion on the xdm 3.8 compact? Looks like a happy medium from my perspective. Going to go feel one in an hour or so if I can find one in the area