1911 plunger tube

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1911 plunger tube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 plunger tube

On the Sig 1911's is the plunger tube held on with tiny allen screws or are they riveted or something? I can't tell by looking at the heads and my allen wrenches won't fit between the rails. Has anyone taken they're plunger tube off?

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

While I am not totally familiar with the SIG version of the 1911, the design calls for the plunger tube to be staked on. There is a tool that flares the pins on the tube and stakes them into place. They may look like allen head screws, but I am willing to bet they are staked on just like J M Browning designed them to be. They are not intended to be removed except to be replaced.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yup that's what it looks like. I used a mag. glass and the heads are definitely flared. I'm smoothing and polishing the frame and I thought it would be easier if the plunger tube was out of the way. Oh well. Thanks for the reply Robocop.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.