Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Handgun Discussion (
-   -   1911 plunger tube (

supergus 10-30-2008 03:30 AM

1911 plunger tube
On the Sig 1911's is the plunger tube held on with tiny allen screws or are they riveted or something? I can't tell by looking at the heads and my allen wrenches won't fit between the rails. Has anyone taken they're plunger tube off?

robocop10mm 10-30-2008 12:44 PM

While I am not totally familiar with the SIG version of the 1911, the design calls for the plunger tube to be staked on. There is a tool that flares the pins on the tube and stakes them into place. They may look like allen head screws, but I am willing to bet they are staked on just like J M Browning designed them to be. They are not intended to be removed except to be replaced.

supergus 10-30-2008 03:51 PM

Yup that's what it looks like. I used a mag. glass and the heads are definitely flared. I'm smoothing and polishing the frame and I thought it would be easier if the plunger tube was out of the way. Oh well. Thanks for the reply Robocop.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.