1911 issues again
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1911 issues again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default 1911 issues again

Previously I posted about my metro
Arms American commanders failure to feed/failure to eject thought it was the feed lip switched mags the problem went away for a bit but then returned and started happening every other round not every other clip. So today fed up with the problem and willing to do whatever it takes to fix this issue as long as it didn't cost to much I bought a cheap 1911 on purpose lol. Anyways took it to a local gun smith and him being the nice guy he is let me help we replaced the main spring firing pin spring and recoil spring with a 22 pound spring we then put 500 rounds range not one failure to eject or failure to feed just wanted to get that out there. We used a wolf spring kit by the way. Guess metro arms needs to get there **** together :/

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Watch where the empty casings fall.
The main spring and the the recoil spring should work together.

Metro Arms (from what I have seen) offer an inexpensive 1911.
To keep costs down, they make do with questionable parts.

I'm glad things worked out. Now, shoot the snot out of it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love my 1911. It's a pleasure to shoot but honestly, and this is just my opinion, the design is not perfect. Yes, it feels perfect to shoot but the design is not perfect (nor is any other gun design) because if it were perfect then no 1911 owner would ever have a problem. The fact is that form doesn't always follow function. Charlize Theron may look perfect but, who knows, maybe she farts a lot in bed?

The 1911 requires A LOT more tuning to make it as consistently reliable as an out-of-the-box modern pistol: Glock, Sig Sauer, H&K, Beretta,...

Now complicating matters is that the 1911 patent has expired and now anyone and everyone can fabricate a 1911. The problem, I think, is that every manufacturer makes the 1911 with slight deviations and, as an example, not all 1911 magazines work well with every manufacturer's 1911.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

You are deft right I had to find the out the hard way parts and labor only cost me. 45 if fires fine but
Plan to get the feed ramp polished little bit farther down because it doesn't seem like it was polish far enough down from the factory after that I believe that my weapon will be 100% and as good as any high end 1911 with less that 100 dollars to do it

Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think after one hundred years of use in 2 world wars and countless battles it is a proven weapon. When the modern FBI HRT Units sent their modern Semiautos back they ordered, yes 1911 pistols. But they are like smooth whisky and good horses some men just keep buying rot gut and betting on old nags.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #6

I hear ya friend hopefully will see good results with my 1911 I'll keep everyone posted

Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't like the way all 1911's are lumped into these problem areas. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I should or want to, but mine has a little over or around 1k through it with three malfunctions. In the gun's defense, I INTENTIONALLY used some dangerously out of spec reloads just to see what it would take to choke it. I even started a thread on it, look for "I wonder what it would take" in the FTF search.

I think that really the biggest 1911 problem are the questionable makers. Mine isn't some multi thousand dollar custom job either, it's a bone stock springer milspec, $640. My good buddy here on the forum, Mr. Wray has a cheaper Filipino make, a High Standard, and he's had zero malfunctions.

If your gun is built by the lowest bidder, and uses parts made by the lowest bidder, your going to have problems. Do a little research and get one from a reputable maker. High Standard is pretty cheap, and Rock Island is getting a LOT of love from their customers lately, and their most basic guns can be had for sometimes as little as $350 in the best case.

Cheap doesn't have to mean a crappy gun. And crappy guns aren't always cheap. I really like learning all I can about guns, and have been doing so since I was 7, giving me 20 years of reading, but unfortunately due to funding, I don't have nearly as much hands on experience with civilian arms (which I count the 1911 as one, even with it's current uses and military history, because I was issued the Beretta), but even with all the reading I've done, I've never heard of your maker. I don't claim to know everything, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know quite a bit (notice I won't even claim to know a lot), but that by itself says something to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
I think after one hundred years of use in 2 world wars and countless battles it is a proven weapon. When the modern FBI HRT Units sent their modern Semiautos back they ordered, yes 1911 pistols. But they are like smooth whisky and good horses some men just keep buying rot gut and betting on old nags.
I'm not getting into a battle about 1911's especially because my favorite gun that I currently shoot is a 1911 (a Made in USA one that costs above $1200 so it's not a junk 1911).

But the fact is they are NOT perfect. It wasn't perfect 100 years ago, and it's not perfect now. Let's not let sentimentality cloud this fact. You can admire a 50 year old, automatic Rolex Submariner for its engineering and say "they don't make 'em like that anymore" but a $30 modern digital watch is still going to be more accurate. The Rolex isn't for everyone and neither is the 1911.

There are people with far more expertise than me, like R Lee Ermey, and Larry Vickers who would argue that the 1911 is not the most reliable platform. Now, I'm not saying these guys' opinions are better than any other expert but you have to consider... Larry Vickers:

"...I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn’t mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock."

Now, Larry Vickers is NOT putting down the 1911 nor am I. He is merely stating that it does not serve everyone's purpose. The 1911 is not for everyone. It requires tinkering, tuning, and dialing in.

But I'm proof that you can be a critic of the 1911, and still love it just as Larry Vickers implies. I use mine at the range so I like the weight. I'm not in a life and death situation so an occasional feed and battery problems are not a huge concern. The grip and ergos are incredible, and nothing beats the single-action...but it's far from perfect and many companies have altered the designed from JMB's original design such as adding a feed ramp, larger ejection ports, just to name a few.

But I guess my point is that why should we 1911 shooters apologize or make excuses? The 1911 requires some input and experimentation - optimum springs, finding reliable ammo and magazine combination. That's all there is to it and that's what makes them fun.

Last edited by misterballistic; 07-02-2012 at 08:44 AM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #9

Best response ive got so far just what I though just like owning a 60s muscle car with a carburetor you gotta tinker with it which I
Love thanks ballistic !

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
You are deft right I had to find the out the hard way parts and labor only cost me. 45 if fires fine but
Plan to get the feed ramp polished little bit farther down because it doesn't seem like it was polish far enough down from the factory after that I believe that my weapon will be 100% and as good as any high end 1911 with less that 100 dollars to do it
You could save yourself some money by polishing the feed ramp yourself. It's not rocket science. You polish the feed ramp to create a slicker surface for the bullet to feed into the breech. Right?

Just get a Dremel tool, a felt polish tip, and Flitz polish and you'll get a mirror shine. The Flitz won't take any material off like sanding and grinding but it will fill in the machining grooves and give the surface a high mirror polish.