1911 Clone - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1911 Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The most features for the $ 600 price point would be the Taurus PT-1911.

It has the most sought after 1911 enhancements in place...and a lifetime warranty !

You would spend much more updating a RIA or Springer to these features.
+1. I really don't see anyone offering what Taurus is currently, in the same price point, across the board. They aren't the best model out there, but they are offering a very sound product, made in a quality updated CNC driven shop, with a true Lifetime Warranty.

JD

Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I almost bought a Taurus, but NIB, the safety didn't check out.

If it left the factory like that, I have to wonder how many others did.

If they're using MIM for manufacturing a drop in safety like Kimber, then it could be a whole bunch.

See, I've watched them go down hill. I bought a used Taurus PT92 on 3-21-98 (just found the receipt!) along with a lefty holster for $399.00. I carried that thing until just this year when I finished my 1911 build.

The reason it was retired wasn't because it broke, but rather because I can do things with the 1911 that the PT92 couldn't do. It's still on house duty.

I got to examine a more recent PT92 specimin, and wasn't impressed. It wouldn't hold a group, the plastic sights would bounce around in the dovetail, and the trigger was barely shootable.

They're just not the same company they were, and I can no longer recommend them for autopistols.

Josh <><

Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well Josh, I don't know what you looked at, or when you looked at it. Everyone turns out something that doesn't hold up to someone else's specs sooner or later.

Having said that - I know for a fact that Taurus completely went through their entire shop in Brazil and upgraded to CNC machines in 2002 or 2003, which greatly increased their ability to turn out a quality product.

At the 2005 SHOT show in Vegas they rolled out an entire new line of 1911's that was unlike anything they had turned out before. They were an excellent piece of kit and at the time the very press release said they were $617. Regardless of who else is making 1911's, no one is making one that has these features in this price range.

Outside of all those facts, they still offer an unconditional lifetime warranty. It's a no bs warranty. You have a problem, regardless if you are the first owner, or the 50th, you send it to them in Florida and they fix it, or give you a new one. No questions asked. No fuss.

Personally I would never field either of the 92/96's from Beretta or any of the clones, but that is a personal choice.

This was a question about a quality 1911 and has been proven on this forum time and again with fit, function and standing behind the product, Taurus does deserve a mention to someone looking at a good quality 1911 on a budget.

JD

Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #14

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I understand 100%. I read all the hype, bugged the gunstore owners, and when one finally came in, it did not have the fit, finish or quality that I had gotten used to.

I've used their warranty - sent them a locking block when mine broke. Meantime went to a wheel gun so there was no rush to get a new one, but they did take their sweet time about it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm an all time Taurus fan. I believe they turn out good products. Very impressed with their 24/7 and OSS models for example.

I've just seen my share of junk from them as well, and have come to believe they're a hit or miss proposition.

I would have to recommend an Armscor before I recommended a Taurus because of this, that's all.

Didn't mean to start a war here, and I'm not a Taurus basher by any stretch of the imagination. I like them; I just think their QC could be a bit more consistant.

Josh <><

Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As for myself I strongly dislike the treatment I receive each time I need to contact Taurus Customer Service about another new in the box handgun that is already broken before I even get a chance to try and sell it.
Now who wants to buy a couple of Taurus PT1911 handguns?
Railed model is $555 shipped and non-railed is $540 shipped. These are both new in box and aren't broken (yet)