Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   17 hmr (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/17-hmr-20140/)

mrasgt 11-16-2009 09:34 PM

17 hmr

Hello Everyone,

I know there are folks that don't care for the .17HMR. That's for another discussion.

Here's my question:

Gun:

brand new Taurus .17 HMR, 4 inch, revolver, absolutely spotless clean, bright shiny clean bore, good chamber seal. Good lock up, good hammer, and trigger.

Ammo:

Hornady 17 Grain "V-Max", brand new.

I've noticed some of the brass has come out with small splits in the case after being fired. Not all, not even an alarming amount. Seems like a preasure problem. I know the ammo is loaded up high by design.

Just curious.

Best Wishes,

M.

JonM 11-16-2009 09:54 PM

i faintly remember seeing a list of weapons that was on a no longer use for the .17 caliber. something to do with pressure. i cant remember if it included any pistols as most of the 10 weapons or so on the list were auto loading rifles.

might try a google search. hope it helps a little. if i can remember where i saw that recall thing i will repost.

mrasgt 11-17-2009 12:05 AM

Yea

I have done some searching, all I get is the Remingtom 597 recall on 17HMR

Thanks for posting

M

mrasgt 11-23-2009 02:38 AM

.17hmr

Geee,

I thought there would be more posts than this.

JonM 11-23-2009 09:22 PM

after further thought. you should call taurus and tell them what is occuring with your handgun. they are suppsoed to have pretty decent customer support.

pioneer461 11-24-2009 10:25 PM

I have a Marlin .17 HMR bolt gun, with a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-2. The most accurate out of the box gun I've ever owned.

mrasgt 11-30-2009 02:15 AM

some answers

OK, Even tho there doesnt seem to be much interest, I discovered ONE thing today at the range with my son.

With the Taurus revolver, Winchester .17 HMR split A LOT more cases than Hornady V-MAX.

It's still a neat little gun.

And Pioneer,, I'd love to find a rifle like yours, only left handed.

Hey man, 34 years and still going-- 218 certified and hope to stay that way.

Thank you for your service.

Benning Boy 12-01-2009 06:19 PM

I'm not bagging anyone's choice of firearm, but is there a pistol that truly exploits the 17 HMR's potential?

The high point of this round is, as I understand it, it's flat trajectory, hence accuracy, from a rifle.

Just askin.:confused:

hillbilly68 12-01-2009 09:03 PM

would bet its not the ammo. You used the "T" word, so I would go back to the manufacturer and engage them. Lots of luck with that. I hope you get it worked out, know how frustrating it is to have a malfunctioning firearm. :mad:

skullcrusher 12-01-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 189866)
after further thought. you should call taurus and tell them what is occuring with your handgun. they are suppsoed to have pretty decent customer support.

If you can find a English speaking customer service rep. Otherwise you need to be able to speak Portugese.