You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

124gr vs 147gr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 02:30 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I like to carry something close to what I practice with. So it's
something in the 115 grain range, for me. But at belly gun range,
the 147 grain is strong.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 876 Times on 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
Kinetic energy is defined as energy needed to move mass to current velocity. It appears your formulation is in reverse? Subsonic is based on reducing initial energy?
Would you post your Kinetic energy formula? Can you address the old Physics question of moving mass from start and maintaining or declining velocity?

Kinetic energy is one half the mass, multiplied by the velocity squared.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3634 Times on 2121 Posts
Likes Given: 2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
Kinetic energy is one half the mass, multiplied by the velocity squared.
Negative. Mass times velocity squared.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #24

Liked 4695 Times on 2691 Posts
Likes Given: 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Negative. Mass times velocity squared.
Look the formula up. It is actually KE = 0.5 x Mass x velocity squared.

Either way I think the point being made was that velocity is the big multiplier in energy.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Look the formula up. It is actually KE = 0.5 x Mass x velocity squared.

Either way I think the point being made was that velocity is the big multiplier in energy.
My bad, you are correct. I was thinking of momentum when I said that. It has been a few years since I had physics.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #26

Liked 4695 Times on 2691 Posts
Likes Given: 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
My bad, you are correct. I was thinking of momentum when I said that. It has been a few years since I had physics.

I had to look it up again, myself to make sure. been a awhile since I bothered to do the computations.

Hope my brief post didn't come off as arrogant.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I had to look it up again, myself to make sure. been a awhile since I bothered to do the computations.

Hope my brief post didn't come off as arrogant.
When your right you are right. I don't get offended here regardless of what is said or how it is said. There is no one on here that can even come close to offending me after 40+ years in LE!
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #28

Liked 8173 Times on 4467 Posts
Likes Given: 13941

the difference between 124 gr. and 147 gr. is negligible at most.

all one has to do is look at the ballistics and see for themselves, the differences are not that huge.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/handgun_compare.aspx

IMO, too many are wrapped up in the hype and hoopla of advertising. myself, i look at one very critical criteria when choosing a round for my pistols, if that pistol or ammo will be used for self defense or carry. i look for reliability. i would rather carry and use less than spectacular FMJ ball ammo that was 110% reliable in my guns, than some super duper high grade ammo that was less than reliable.

while everyone else is fawning over how accurate, or how well it penetrates or expands, i will concentrate on reliability.

too many times, too many people try to over-complicate this, when they shouldn't. simplify it to what matters. find an ammo that works reliably in your firearms and practice with it on routine basis. it's just that simple.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #29
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8335 Times on 4493 Posts
Likes Given: 6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
Kinetic energy is defined as energy needed to move mass to current velocity. It appears your formulation is in reverse? Subsonic is based on reducing initial energy?
Would you post your Kinetic energy formula? Can you address the old Physics question of moving mass from start and maintaining or declining velocity?
Cap, Kilibreaux wasn't saying you should trade velocity for mass. He started by saying IF you're committed to subsonic, then all that's left is to add mass. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
Obviously, if one is committed to subsonic ammo, one STARTS with the heaviest bullet possible, which for the 9mm is really 158 grains!

"Power" when one is limiting velocity to less than 1,000 fps, is derived by BULLET WEIGHT, thus, the heavier the bullet, the greater the power when driven at subsonic speeds.

The bottom line? If you're seeking subsonic ammo, you want the HEAVIEST bullet for caliber possible to maximize Kinetic energy, or "power" as it were!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960

Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It all boils down to bullet construction and MV. The 147 gr we were issued were no better than 38 sp 158 gr lead RN (junk). But that said the 147 is to heavy for that small case (capacity) of the 9 mm even if you work hard at trying to get a bullet that will work at that lower velocity.. If it's not broke don't try and fix it!!!