12 hours, really?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 12 hours, really?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default 12 hours, really?

It seems like every other thread lately has a picture of glowing sights. I know some of y'all bought this stuff so I have a question - does it last 12 hours on a single "charge" as advertised? I have used nitesiters dots (to adorn the plain black front posts on some of my guns) and in reality the glow lasts maybe an hour. Let's hear it folks, how long does this stuff glow...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Unless you have tritium sights (or do like the Irradiated Boy Scout, and scrape radium paint off old clock hands), no, not 12 hrs. There are a few different formulas for luminescent pigments, and they are better than they used to be a few years back, but light levels drop after an hour or two, and go down like the trajectory of a 45-70. After 2-4 hours, levels are low enough that after your first shot in darkness, muzzle flash will probably keep you from seeing them at all (your low light vision went away). May come in handy for a first shot. There have been shooting schools that teach using muzzle flash from first shot to acquire target/ sights for fast second shot.

Me? I use trip flares.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

C'mon you testers - lets hear the real scoop...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd like to know about this as well.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I used it a while back and no you will not get anywhere near 12 hours. The one thing I do like is it seems to reflect light in lower light situations but no it does not have it's own light for 12 hours.

If you are looking for a product like this then it is worth the money.It works a littlew better than a few others that I have tried. and it is very inexpensive. THe stickys seem to last a little longer than the liquid. I have some on a remote here that I lose a lot and it has helped me keep up with it some.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It seems like every other thread lately has a picture of glowing sights. I know some of y'all bought this stuff so I have a question - does it last 12 hours on a single "charge" as advertised? I have used nitesiters dots (to adorn the plain black front posts on some of my guns) and in reality the glow lasts maybe an hour. Let's hear it folks, how long does this stuff glow...
For the money, what do you think?

The paint -on in the vial is bright as all get out when you charge it, but it does not last 12hrs. Still worth the $$

Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
For the money, what do you think?

The paint -on in the vial is bright as all get out when you charge it, but it does not last 12hrs. Still worth the $$
Not saying it isn't worth the $$$, just that maybe the vendor needs to scale back a bit on the claims of performance. What do you get - maybe an hour or two of actual "glow" tops?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Not saying it isn't worth the $$$, just that maybe the vendor needs to scale back a bit on the claims of performance. What do you get - maybe an hour or two of actual "glow" tops?
I'll do a test tonight and get an exact for you. The peel off glow on decals last all night on my remote. They are dim by morning,but I can still see it in the dark.
As far as the sights, I'll do a test tonight and post back to this thread for you.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
C'mon you testers - lets hear the real scoop...
I don't believe the products have reached the testers yet. I was working with Gato behind the scenes on the list of who's who and then he had some connection issues here at FTF. All is sqaured away and I believe the samples are en-route....

JD

Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I'll do a test tonight and get an exact for you. The peel off glow on decals last all night on my remote. They are dim by morning,but I can still see it in the dark.
As far as the sights, I'll do a test tonight and post back to this thread for you.
I got pretty much the same results from the stickys. The liquid I have now applied a few coats trying to fill up the indention(s) in a three dot sight set up. I have found the more applied the longer it lasts but I'm only seeing a couple hours or so of actual luminescence. I can still see the sights in pretty low light for a good while though. I chalk this up to it reflecting any ambient light it can get it's hands on. I still got to get another coat or so in my "sample sights" to really feel like I have it applied and cured like it appears to need. But at the stages the length of glow still I don't think will reach anywhere near twelve hours.

But at the cost it's probably one of the better products I've used. I've tried a few different type over the years some of which where a good but more expensive. The Ghost Glow stuff made by Bright Sights that Midway sells doesn't last half as long. But you do get a few viles of different glow paint and some high viz stuff but you're looking at anywhere between 14.99 and 22.99 depending on the kit you get. At what the Glow-On stuff sells for what...10 bucks for the vial but it had some of the sticky strips in it too. It's worth what you pay for sure. Compared to the Bright Sights stuff it's a much better value.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson