10mm & 357sig for hogs....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 10mm & 357sig for hogs....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 10mm & 357sig for hogs....

I have used a G-20 for a few hog hunts, and know it can get the job down. But, the other day I was going through the safe to do my quarterly "clean the guns" routine, and when I pulled out my G-32 in 357sig, I started thinking if this round would take a pig within two shots. Anybody out there have experience with the 357sig, and it's terminal performance? I really like the G-32, and I think, it could handle the job. But there's nothing like actual accounts that make things real.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I used my g32 in Texas last year and it was fine. Just don't use jhp. It blows big holes in the meat and insides. I learned after gutting it back at camp. Throw out a lot of meat!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #3

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Sure it will. Depends on the hog size and shot placement.

Seen a hog taken with a 9mm Makarov and there are YouTube videos of hogs taken with air rifles.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default thanks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcj View Post
I used my g32 in Texas last year and it was fine. Just don't use jhp. It blows big holes in the meat and insides. I learned after gutting it back at camp. Throw out a lot of meat!!!
Good advise. I used 200gr. truncated cone with my G-20. Suppose it's logical to use the TC in a faster flying round.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life Member

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post

Seen a hog taken with a 9mm Makarov and there are YouTube videos of hogs taken with air rifles.
Man, why didn't I think of that. You tube....thanks!

NRA Life Member

Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:

As a hunter it sickens me to see people use small caliber rounds for hunting larger animals. The animal should not have to suffer. The whole point of using more powerful rifle rounds is to get a quick one shot one kill while hunting. The animal should not suffer. The difference between a hunter and a shooter is respect of nature and the animal you are harvesting. A shooter does not give a ****. I do not have any respect for a shooter. I have total respect for my fellow brother and sister hunters. In Germany to hunt larger game like boar your rifle round must reach 2000 joules at 100 meters. There is no handgun hunting. Not even a .223 meets this requirement. I totally agree with this rule. A rifle with a caliber like a .308 is more accurate and better gaurantees a one shot humane kill. You can hunt roe deer and fox with a .223 though. But they are small game. This might piss some of the members off, but I do not care. I do care about humane acts and respect of nature. There are handguns that are geared towards hunting, and I can understand more powerful rounds like a 10mm or .357 magnum at close range. But a 9mm or air rifle? That is just effing cruel.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

As a hunter it sickens me to see people use small caliber rounds for hunting larger animals. The animal should not have to suffer. The whole point of using more powerful rifle rounds is to get a quick one shot one kill while hunting. The animal should not suffer. The difference between a hunter and a shooter is respect of nature and the animal you are harvesting. A shooter does not give a ****. I do not have any respect for a shooter. I have total respect for my fellow brother and sister hunters. In Germany to hunt larger game like boar your rifle round must reach 2000 joules at 100 meters. There is no handgun hunting. Not even a .223 meets this requirement. I totally agree with this rule. A rifle with a caliber like a .308 is more accurate and better gaurantees a one shot humane kill. You can hunt roe deer and fox with a .223 though. But they are small game. This might piss some of the members off, but I do not care. I do care about humane acts and respect of nature. There are handguns that are geared towards hunting, and I can understand more powerful rounds like a 10mm or .357 magnum at close range. But a 9mm or air rifle? That is just effing cruel.
That's why I have this big ol cannon instead of a wimpy 9mm
image-431628299.jpg  

Last edited by ShagNasty1001; 05-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post

I can assure you that I'm more of a sportsman and steward of nature than 90% of other hunters. So I'm offended and insulted by your comment and insinuation. I'm not recommending either of those calibers, simply stating that they will kill quickly and in one shot if placed correctly.

I was actually present for the 9mm Mak shot and there was no more suffering than if it had been a 300 Win Mag. The hog was small and placement was perfect. It only took one shot.

The hogs killed with air rifles are all shots through the ear into the head. Doesn't get any more quick and clean than that.

The fact of the matter is there are just many gut shots, hip shots, legs shots, and spine shots with large caliber rifles. Caliber size does not equal quick, one shot kills. And it's a fool who believes otherwise. Shot placement and knowing the limits of your chosen caliber is what matters most.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
I can assure you that I'm more of a sportsman and steward of nature than 90% of other hunters. So I'm offended and insulted by your comment and insinuation. I'm not recommending either of those calibers, simply stating that they will kill quickly and in one shot if placed correctly.

I was actually present for the 9mm Mak shot and there was no more suffering than if it had been a 300 Win Mag. The hog was small and placement was perfect. It only took one shot.

The hogs killed with air rifles are all shots through the ear into the head. Doesn't get any more quick and clean than that.

The fact of the matter is there are just many gut shots, hip shots, legs shots, and spine shots with large caliber rifles. Caliber size does not equal quick, one shot kills. And it's a fool who believes otherwise. Shot placement and knowing the limits of your chosen caliber is what matters most.
Olympus, I never mention you in my post. I was talking in general. In your post, you never mention that it was you. As far as gun and leg shots, if you can not make the good shot, then keep your finger straight. I rather go home empty then make an animal suffer. I am aware we are human and **** happens. In Germany I have gotten phone calls in the middle of the night from other hunters to help find a wounded animal. We will search until found. Revier owners are required to own a trained tracking dog, and us hunters are trained for tracking. This is the compassion and respect that I was talking about. Sorry you thought I was talking about you, I was not. Peace brother. Good harvesting. Waidmannsheil.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

What'd he say bout Sheila?

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne