Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   10mm & 357sig for hogs.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/10mm-357sig-hogs-89921/)

LakeshoreShooter 05-01-2013 09:33 PM

10mm & 357sig for hogs....
 
I have used a G-20 for a few hog hunts, and know it can get the job down. But, the other day I was going through the safe to do my quarterly "clean the guns" routine, and when I pulled out my G-32 in 357sig, I started thinking if this round would take a pig within two shots. Anybody out there have experience with the 357sig, and it's terminal performance? I really like the G-32, and I think, it could handle the job. But there's nothing like actual accounts that make things real.

glockcj 05-02-2013 01:47 AM

I used my g32 in Texas last year and it was fine. Just don't use jhp. It blows big holes in the meat and insides. I learned after gutting it back at camp. Throw out a lot of meat!!!

Olympus 05-02-2013 02:29 AM

Sure it will. Depends on the hog size and shot placement.


Seen a hog taken with a 9mm Makarov and there are YouTube videos of hogs taken with air rifles.

LakeshoreShooter 05-02-2013 07:37 PM

thanks.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by glockcj (Post 1233623)
I used my g32 in Texas last year and it was fine. Just don't use jhp. It blows big holes in the meat and insides. I learned after gutting it back at camp. Throw out a lot of meat!!!

Good advise. I used 200gr. truncated cone with my G-20. Suppose it's logical to use the TC in a faster flying round.

LakeshoreShooter 05-02-2013 07:38 PM

thanks....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1233657)
Sure it will. Depends on the hog size and shot placement.


Seen a hog taken with a 9mm Makarov and there are YouTube videos of hogs taken with air rifles.

Man, why didn't I think of that. You tube....thanks!

Jagermeister 05-02-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1233657)
Sure it will. Depends on the hog size and shot placement.


Seen a hog taken with a 9mm Makarov and there are YouTube videos of hogs taken with air rifles.

As a hunter it sickens me to see people use small caliber rounds for hunting larger animals. The animal should not have to suffer. The whole point of using more powerful rifle rounds is to get a quick one shot one kill while hunting. The animal should not suffer. The difference between a hunter and a shooter is respect of nature and the animal you are harvesting. A shooter does not give a ****. I do not have any respect for a shooter. I have total respect for my fellow brother and sister hunters. In Germany to hunt larger game like boar your rifle round must reach 2000 joules at 100 meters. There is no handgun hunting. Not even a .223 meets this requirement. I totally agree with this rule. A rifle with a caliber like a .308 is more accurate and better gaurantees a one shot humane kill. You can hunt roe deer and fox with a .223 though. But they are small game. This might piss some of the members off, but I do not care. I do care about humane acts and respect of nature. There are handguns that are geared towards hunting, and I can understand more powerful rounds like a 10mm or .357 magnum at close range. But a 9mm or air rifle? That is just effing cruel.

ShagNasty1001 05-02-2013 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister

As a hunter it sickens me to see people use small caliber rounds for hunting larger animals. The animal should not have to suffer. The whole point of using more powerful rifle rounds is to get a quick one shot one kill while hunting. The animal should not suffer. The difference between a hunter and a shooter is respect of nature and the animal you are harvesting. A shooter does not give a ****. I do not have any respect for a shooter. I have total respect for my fellow brother and sister hunters. In Germany to hunt larger game like boar your rifle round must reach 2000 joules at 100 meters. There is no handgun hunting. Not even a .223 meets this requirement. I totally agree with this rule. A rifle with a caliber like a .308 is more accurate and better gaurantees a one shot humane kill. You can hunt roe deer and fox with a .223 though. But they are small game. This might piss some of the members off, but I do not care. I do care about humane acts and respect of nature. There are handguns that are geared towards hunting, and I can understand more powerful rounds like a 10mm or .357 magnum at close range. But a 9mm or air rifle? That is just effing cruel.

That's why I have this big ol cannon instead of a wimpy 9mm :D

Olympus 05-03-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1234304)

As a hunter it sickens me to see people use small caliber rounds for hunting larger animals. The animal should not have to suffer. The whole point of using more powerful rifle rounds is to get a quick one shot one kill while hunting. The animal should not suffer. The difference between a hunter and a shooter is respect of nature and the animal you are harvesting. A shooter does not give a ****. I do not have any respect for a shooter. I have total respect for my fellow brother and sister hunters. In Germany to hunt larger game like boar your rifle round must reach 2000 joules at 100 meters. There is no handgun hunting. Not even a .223 meets this requirement. I totally agree with this rule. A rifle with a caliber like a .308 is more accurate and better gaurantees a one shot humane kill. You can hunt roe deer and fox with a .223 though. But they are small game. This might piss some of the members off, but I do not care. I do care about humane acts and respect of nature. There are handguns that are geared towards hunting, and I can understand more powerful rounds like a 10mm or .357 magnum at close range. But a 9mm or air rifle? That is just effing cruel.

I can assure you that I'm more of a sportsman and steward of nature than 90% of other hunters. So I'm offended and insulted by your comment and insinuation. I'm not recommending either of those calibers, simply stating that they will kill quickly and in one shot if placed correctly.

I was actually present for the 9mm Mak shot and there was no more suffering than if it had been a 300 Win Mag. The hog was small and placement was perfect. It only took one shot.

The hogs killed with air rifles are all shots through the ear into the head. Doesn't get any more quick and clean than that.

The fact of the matter is there are just many gut shots, hip shots, legs shots, and spine shots with large caliber rifles. Caliber size does not equal quick, one shot kills. And it's a fool who believes otherwise. Shot placement and knowing the limits of your chosen caliber is what matters most.

Jagermeister 05-03-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1235196)
I can assure you that I'm more of a sportsman and steward of nature than 90% of other hunters. So I'm offended and insulted by your comment and insinuation. I'm not recommending either of those calibers, simply stating that they will kill quickly and in one shot if placed correctly.

I was actually present for the 9mm Mak shot and there was no more suffering than if it had been a 300 Win Mag. The hog was small and placement was perfect. It only took one shot.

The hogs killed with air rifles are all shots through the ear into the head. Doesn't get any more quick and clean than that.

The fact of the matter is there are just many gut shots, hip shots, legs shots, and spine shots with large caliber rifles. Caliber size does not equal quick, one shot kills. And it's a fool who believes otherwise. Shot placement and knowing the limits of your chosen caliber is what matters most.

Olympus, I never mention you in my post. I was talking in general. In your post, you never mention that it was you. As far as gun and leg shots, if you can not make the good shot, then keep your finger straight. I rather go home empty then make an animal suffer. I am aware we are human and **** happens. In Germany I have gotten phone calls in the middle of the night from other hunters to help find a wounded animal. We will search until found. Revier owners are required to own a trained tracking dog, and us hunters are trained for tracking. This is the compassion and respect that I was talking about. Sorry you thought I was talking about you, I was not. Peace brother. Good harvesting. Waidmannsheil.

rjgnwdc 05-03-2013 06:31 PM

What'd he say bout Sheila?


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.