1 pistol, 1 caliber, best all-around?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 1 pistol, 1 caliber, best all-around?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1 pistol, 1 caliber, best all-around?

I was recently asked which type of handgun and round would be the best if you could only afford/wanted to get one handgun.
My answer was the S&W Mountain gun, chambered in 45 Colt. I pointed out that the D/A revolver was a very reliable type of gun, he could get rounds with a level of power all the way from cowboy action type loads for light recoil practice, or for personal/home defense use 200 gr. Corbon or Golddot hollowpoints, or for hunting level of power, 300 gr.s going almost 1000 fps, also the shot shell loads that because of it's capacity can send more #9 shot pellets for pest control.
Did I make a good recommendation? Anyone else have a better idea?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would find that not to be a bad choice. I have used it for all the same reasons throughout the years. That old cartrige will never die. The choice in the gun for it is also a great choice. I don't think he could go wrong with those choices.

Jim.............................

Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally would have said 357 magnum and probably gone with a Ruger SP101 with the 3 1/4" barrel simply because its rugged and will take some abuse. I like my S&W model 19 better as a shooter but it's not as heavy as the Ruger. They can shoot light 38s all the way up to 180 gr mags.

If you need something with more punch I'd go with 460 S&W, but forget CC. Yes, it's a hand cannon but can be loaded with the same cowboy action loads you mentioned, 454 and full house 460 mags. If brown bear are near by and I was restricted to a handgun, this would be my choice.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Along the same thought process of Spittinfire I would have recommended the Smith & Wesson 13/65 with three of four inch barrel.

I'll also be honest in that the first gun that came to mind was the Glock 19.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 07-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A wheel gun IMO is the best type of gun due to the reliabilty and simplicity factors. As to caliber? If I could only have one, I would wanty it to be the biggest, baddest, most powerful and accurate revolver in production...the .500 S&W comes to mind, with a 10" barrel....screw concealed carry - this is about effectiveness!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default S&w 681/686

spittinfire is on the right track. I like the S&W 681/686 format. Use from light 38 target loads-full power .357, with control, and no wear on gun

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 07-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

753X0,
Good question, take a few minutes and introduce yourself on the new member thread. I would ask a few more questions what is the expected use of the pistol and the firearm expereince of the person who asked the question of you. There is much to be considered before a reasonable answer can be given.

Welcome to our community.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #8

Ruger Single Six in .22Mag. Nuff said.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
753X0,
Good question, take a few minutes and introduce yourself on the new member thread. I would ask a few more questions what is the expected use of the pistol and the firearm expereince of the person who asked the question of you. There is much to be considered before a reasonable answer can be given.

Welcome to our community.
His experience is is from myself, A retired Combat Arms Instr.
I started him off with a High Standard Supermatic Trophy, with which, he excelled.
Then to the S&W 586, starting with .38 specials, then to .357 Mag. Once again he excelled.
He doesn't seem recoil sensitive, so I start him into the .45 Colt loadings, starting at the bottom, then working up to the capacity of the gun. Each time he seemed to acclimate to the recoil, probably because I had eased him up to it starting from the from the 22 HS.
That is why I think that the 45 Colt would be a good choice, given it's versatility. Higher capacity of pellets for Shotshells, for varmints. Personal/home defense with the Golddot and Corbon loads. A powerful loading, 300+ Gr.s at about 1000 fps for hiking in big bear country.
Doing it all with less pressure than a 44 Mag.
I think this would be a good choice him.

Thanks, in advance to all who will help.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
His experience is is from myself, A retired Combat Arms Instr.
I started him off with a High Standard Supermatic Trophy, with which, he excelled.
Then to the S&W 586, starting with .38 specials, then to .357 Mag. Once again he excelled.
He doesn't seem recoil sensitive, so I start him into the .45 Colt loadings, starting at the bottom, then working up to the capacity of the gun. Each time he seemed to acclimate to the recoil, probably because I had eased him up to it starting from the from the 22 HS.
That is why I think that the 45 Colt would be a good choice, given it's versatility. Higher capacity of pellets for Shotshells, for varmints. Personal/home defense with the Golddot and Corbon loads. A powerful loading, 300+ Gr.s at about 1000 fps for hiking in big bear country.
Doing it all with less pressure than a 44 Mag.
I think this would be a good choice him.

Thanks, in advance to all who will help.
What is his intended use for the pistol? If it's general purpose the S&W 586 is a good choice. Easy to find ammo/easy to operate and the 357 mag round is as good if not better than a 45 in a wheel gun. You can get 357 shot shell rounds, can use 38 spl rounds for plinking, get some sweet personal/home defense rounds in 357 and get some heavy rounds that will work fine in "bear country".

my 2C

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.