IF visiting Montana
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Montana Gun Forum > IF visiting Montana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default IF visiting Montana

One of my "retirement" bucket list dreams is to visit Montana. It's one of only 7 states I have never been to. My wife and I want to rent/lease or buy an RV, and drive. I know we also want to do a river cruse on the Columbia & Snake rivers through Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.
Watching WARDENS on OUTDOOR Ch. the last Year has perked our interest. I'd probably want to Bird Hunt, and Fish, but not Big Game(no desire for a Elk at all). What can some of you Great Montana folks tell an ex NY'er now an Arizonan about your Great State?
Do you need a CCW to Carry a Handgun? or is it like Az. ownership is proof of LAC status? any of you willing to meet up and give us a "5 cent" tour??

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

CWP required for concealed carry,nothing needed for open carry.

I've lived here for awhile now but life has kept me busy enough to keep me from doing too many touristy things but i've always wanted to go to glacier national park,but i have been to Yellowstone,worth checking out if you've never been.

If your looking for epic views this would take the cake.
http://bigskyresort.com/things-to-do/activities/lone-peak-expedition

Here is info about hunting/fishing.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/license/applications.html#fishing
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Last edited by subie-jeep; 05-21-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 733

I've had a fascination with Montana for a while, too. It's one of maybe 35 States I've never been to.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 668 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 414

I rode the Harley up to Yellowstone, then Went to Montana, and rode to the Top of Bear Mountain, seen all 4 seasons in one day, Montana is beautiful!

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Dr. Football, I'd be glad to give you a good nickel tour, but have been working over in the oil fields ( eastern Montana/western North Dakota) for the last year, so don't get home for a few months at a time. I can tell you some great places to see in central and western Montana, having lived and explored there for the last 35 years.Send me a P.M. before you head up this way.
I believe the definition of concealed carry in Montana is " weapon covered by a garment", if you carry in a fanny pack type of holster outside your clothing you are perfectly legal. Of course a concealed permit from Arizona will do if you have one. And open carry as mentioned above.
All of the pics are from "peak bagging' trips last summer in the Bozeman area north of Yellowstone park.

dsc01158.jpg   dsc01131.jpg   dsc01177.jpg   dsc01204.jpg   dsc01515.jpg  

Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I have hunted most of Western Montana and love it. Big Blue is true! I have taken elk and mule deer, and trout fished.
The eastern part of Montana is as flat as a cutting board!! To the west the rockies part is breathtaking. The stars at night is a sight to behold. I had on a cowboy hat and met a lot of real cowboys wearing hats!!! Big difference.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default IF visiting Montana

Subie thanks . I had the state site. Sandog those are nice Pics. Thanks for the Resps. Guys. Well be doing our big game hunting with Cameras. Birds and Fish however are fair game if in season. I also hope to interview a few Wardens while there. They are some interesting folks with good Stories. We missed our chance to interview one who retired but was on the Show quite a bit the First year at SHOT, but he's writing a book, so if Outdoor CH. Is part of the PR for it, we'll get him on the Podcast. One who is still on the Show has agreed and has approval from his bosses( we wrote a letter) were just waiting for a Time when he is available .

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-22-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Home on the range..................

The capital of the mountain oyster................Great hunting up there if you don't get shot at your self......................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........