4th FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 4-5, 2014 - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Missouri Gun Forum >

4th FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 4-5, 2014

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 994 Times on 772 Posts

thanks for the inputs. of course its all just to show the ftf members what it really is like out there in the big world. remember, the whole reason the cyber shoots came about were my desire to offer a peek at what shotgun clay shooting was all about on a budget, for those that normally couldnt get close to one of these clubs without being voted in or paying crazy dues.
success and business is an american dream, i have nothing against big organizations. but the problem with clay shooting is, unless youre affiliated with a big organization, trying to make it as a range is almost impossible. everyone wants to get their hands into governing it. epa gets into it. insurance wants a chunk. local and federal laws get into it. MEMBERS get into it and demand certain things. you get crooked leadership, weirdo suicides using ranges to leave the earth, protesters, clubs demanding you join nra, clubs demanding you are nra certified or nssa certified, blah blah blah....it all costs money and memberships skyrocket.
its always been my dream that after someone shot here, theyd go investigate shooting near their home and enjoy it. if that happens, i did my job and i sleep at night knowing i helped make someones life more enjoyable.
then all i do is clean up the range and get ready for the next group....and go back to va.
-------------------------

over on another website, a fellow named loflyer posted this. i thought youd like to see it.........

"Today I tried out Cherokee Rose Gun Club located in lush GA woodland near Griffen, GA about 30 miles SE of Atlanta, its has two separate sporting clay courses of about a dozen stations each, two five stands one is covered, the second also doubles as a "dial" capable of skeet/trap. There are no rifle or pistol ranges on the site.
Its owned by a lady who runs it with her brother and some hired help. I wanted to shoot the course because I heard a lot of nice things about the place from other shooters, and decided Saturday would be a good time to visit and hopefully squad up with some other shooters. Wrong. The club was deserted except for the owners and myself. They offered to pull for me, I took them up and off we went. Aesthetically, I suspect this is one of the nicest clubs available to the general public in GA (the state has a mess of private, and very expensive gun clubs that might be nicer, but unavailable to the average shooter) The two sporting clay courses stations are competent and offer competitive presentations and sequences to the shooter, and best of all, heavily wooded, with clearings for the individual stations with lots of SHADE!
Georgia gets damned hot and humid in the summer time. About all I can stand is about 30 minutes continuous time on a dial before my brain starts frying and my shooting deteriorates so its important for me to remain reasonably comfortable shooting. Many GA gun clubs are located on marginal, blighted property and populated with pine-trees that offer little shade.
My cost was 83 dollars for 125 clays and a golf cart, roughly 100 bucks total including shot shells.Overall I would rate my experience at about a nine out to ten. I would of given it a ten if I had found someone to shoot with. Next time, I will bring some friends!"
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Last edited by bobski; 04-28-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #92

latest tally....

rkb...........................paid, squaded...NT
drfootball...................maybe
fred_g........................paid, squaded
windsofchange............squaded
MzGrn.......................maybe
buckhuntr..................maybe
balota.......................maybe
rockratt....................squaded
rockrattbuddy1...........squaded
rockrattbuddy2...........maybe
rockrattbuddy3...........maybe
astroman...................maybe
speedynate................maybe
geobob......................paid, squaded...NT
geofriends1,2,3,..........paid, squaded...NT
geofriend4..................payment enroute, squaded...NT
gso...........................maybe
gsobuddy1.................maybe
gsobuddy2,3...............maybe

squads.........

saturday:
9am:
FIELD 1: (PRACTICE FIELD)
1. windsofchange
2. rockratt
3. rockrattbuddy1

9am:
FIELD 2: (NEW TICKET TRAINING FIELD)
1. rkb
2. fred_g

1pm:

1pm:........................FULL.................. ........
1. geobob
2. geofriend1
3. geofreind2
4. geofriend3
5. geofriend4

sunday:
12 noon:

12 noon:

5pm:
FIELD 2 (all shooters, under lights)
-----------------------------------------

this is a list of members that were no shows at the last 3 meets. they all paid, but never showed up. lets not forget them and stay in touch with them so they get a chance to come in the future. highlighted names are ftf members........

rockrattbuddy2....whimped out
rockrattbuddy3....whimped out
gso buddy1.....work
tireman........very ill
wolfman.......was tiremans buddy. doubt he comes
spala...........will never come
lynn parsons......a very busy man
carver.........void ticket
ryan42.........void ticket/con man from indiana rooked me @ 1st meet
ryanson........void ticket/con mans innocent son
gvw3...........work
gvw3son.......work
ozarkfrog......illness in family
ozark777...........paid, then oddly disappeared
ozark777wife...................."
ozark777buddy.................."
ozark777wife2..................."
ironhorse944.........work
ironhorsebuddy......work
texaswoodworker...void ticket/terminated ftf acct
arkygirl.................new baby
tekgreg.......health reasons
fred_g.........apr car expenses, squaded for 4 oct
arky.....................surgery
arkyson.................new daddy
dennis..................surgery

-------------------------------------
if everyone would pm me and let me know where we stand with your old cards. i know we punched some, but im being honest...i lost track during the last shoot.

so one by one, let me know what you got left....

winds...................4 left, and a full card
balota...................all games shot
speedynate............all games shot
gso.......................all games shot
gsobuddy2.............all games shot
gsobuddy3.............all games shot
geobob.................3 left
geofriend1.............6 left
'' 2.......................6 left
'' 3.......................6 left
rockratt...............full card left
rockrattbuddy1......6 left
rockrattbuddy2.....full card left
rockrattbuddy3.....full card left
astroman..............all games shot

-----------------DONE------------------------

just for the record...every 1st sunday of the month i schedule a match that no one ever comes to. 5 oct 14 is the oct's true skeet doubles only match. if anyone wants to stick around and sign up for it on field 1, its 25.00 entry, 50 birds, any gun, 1st place prize is 50.00. need 5 to hold it. just remember, no skill needed. and to make sure no ringers clean house, we will use a handicap scale for ftf members ONLY. any walk ins get only their own scores.
ftf shooters who shoot:
10 or less = +35 points
11 to 25 = + 20 points
26 to 35 = +10 points
36 to 40 = +5 points
41 or better = none

since the ftf meets are meant to be introductions to REAL TIME SHOOTING....heres a chance to see what real match pressure is all about. believe it or not, many shooters do better under pressure when there is something at stake.

--------------------------

im just going to make a list of things for you to ponder, that will secure safe and sucessful meets at my range. remember, im not begging. i can live life and suck it all up like i have for the last 4 years, but...im inviting those that are generous to have a way to attempt to outdo me. fair?

based on experiences encountered at the last ftf meets, the shoot and hoot can use:

* a pallet of orange targets
* a first aid kit
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/23364/EMI-TacMed-Gunshot-Trauma-Kit-/
* 1st place shotgun related prizes
* skeet, trap, and sporting clay shooting videos (no bender videos allowed in my club)
* 5 clear and 5 tinted shooting glasses
* 5 common ball caps for those that forget theirs on sunny days.
* a trophy for every meet
* magnetic 4 legged easel w/ wipe off markers
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Last edited by bobski; 05-02-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #93

ftf shoot and hoot interest and shoot discussions tend to spark as it gets nearer the meet. but the old one fades into a blur....and posts tend to become little to none over the next 5 months. 90% of maybes i call or offer to never commit. asking gets old so i wont.
so, i will stop in and check up on this thread once a week.
this meet, im going to leave the chore of advertising the meet and the good time it is with all of you. no more of my 150 private pm's and invites making cold calls. if you find someone, tell them all about it and send them my way.
if anyone wants to send a serious commit in, pm me and i'll tend to it. maybe a podcast will be a good way to promote the shoot. maybe in may once im back in va., (free long distance) i can talk to drfootball about that.
until then....go find some new ticket shooters or lock in your own ticket now, before everyone decides all at once and misses out!

Last edited by bobski; 05-02-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #94
RKB

Liked 264 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Just a few more comments on costs. Range and machine maintenance has to be considered too. At larger clubs that is taken into account in your annual dues and target fees. Smaller clubs have to struggle to keep from raising fees/dues to cover it. Break one part on a machine and you can wipe out a weekend's profit at a small club. With those old Winchester single-stacks that Bob uses, parts have to be mail-ordered and are starting to get harder to find, not to mention expensive - plus shipping! Just doing machine adjustments and setting targets to standards requires throwing (basically wasting) clay pigeons, sometimes quite a few until the machine is adjusted to spec. A 30" hoop is attached to a pole and set in the center of the skeet field 15' up. Both machines have to be adjusted to throw a target through that hoop and to a set distance. If you make any changes to the machine, you do that again. Throwing arms have a rubber edge on them that gets rough and need resurfaced or replaced, or adjusted to keep the bird flying straight - get out the hoop and set them again. There are two rubber bushings on the arm that holds the stack and drops the bird into throwing position - they develop flat spots. Change one - get out the hoop again. You can see that you can throw a lot of birds that still cost you but will not generate any income for you - but it must be done.
Anyway, hope you all get the hint. If it sounds like I'm sticking up for Bob, well, I am. I've never met the guy, never even talked to him - but I've been in his shoes. Not as far as shooting, I've looked up his history and he is indeed a world-class shooter and I am DEFINITELY not one - but I've been a club manager and shoot manager at a few clubs over the years, it's tiring, dirty, repetitive, boring, expensive, and (almost always) thankless work. So - see you all in October - I'm driving 500+ miles each way because this looks to be a great time. Come on out! If you are a beginner, you'll never have a better opportunity to get top-notch instruction from one of the best without spending a small fortune. Hope to see you there.
Bill

Last edited by RKB; 04-28-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #95

every word you shared is true bill. thanks.
and for the record...thats 4 skeet machines and a trap machine here. owners manual calls for an enitre stack to be thrown to confirm set and true after maint...per machine. when i do all my machines, thats 495 i throw away every year or any time they break. now can you all see why even bringing extras to the meet is a very nice way to say thank you?if anyone wants to see my trap bone yard in the warehouse, just ask! its like a junk car lot of machines all waiting to be resurrected. the vast majority of parts now come from canada and a sharp guy in penn..
what cant be found on the net is hand made.
finding parts is easier for my 64 ford tractor!

Last edited by bobski; 04-28-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #96

i told ya guys......

geobob and his family of 3 signed up and just like that, the 4 oct meet is 60% full.

snooze ya lose guys. tickets talk.

Last edited by bobski; 04-28-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 AM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 113 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Hello all friends from the last Oct and April Shoot & Hoots!

Bobski said it - the "Geobob" four-group have committed and paid for a Saturday team together - still room for one more at our time slot. Come on, friends - pay up so we can all be together again on Saturday for the shoot (and eats) and the hoot part. AND - believe it or not, I actually got a 28" Mossberg 12-gauge to shoot this time. Of course, that means my misses can't be blamed on my trusty home defense 18.5" Hawk (which I still like for that purpose). FURTHER COMMITMENT: between now and Oct I am going to start buying boxes of clays at Academy sports (or Wally World if cheaper - remember, I AM SCOTTISH) to bring to help Bob out. So commit my friends, and let's make this the best one yet!
Browning Citori Crossover 12-G O/U,
Mossberg 91 28" 12-G, Hawk 982 12-G HD
NRA Life Member, Scottish American Military Society Life Member, Oath Keeper
People Like This 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #98

and just like that, 4 oct is 70% full.

geobob just took the 5th slot.

the 1pm sat new squad is locked in.

Last edited by bobski; 05-02-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #99

i just got a donation for the trophy. so the trophy is secure.
review the list and see if there is anything else members would like to donate for oct. see post 92.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #100

geobob, i got your 1st letter. thanks.

Closed Thread