2nd FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 5, 13 - Page 62
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Missouri Gun Forum > 2nd FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 5, 13

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #611
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Dang that looks nice. My LOP is around 13 inch. The gun has 14 inch LOP and the gun has no recoil pad added. I suspect I would need a recoil pad. Would that make the LOP too long for me? My LOP measured 13 inch following the method posted by Winds earlier.

Also, my son found a 12 ga semi-auto that looks for all the world like an AR-15. The semi-auto would eat up a lot of recoil. It comes with 3 chokes, full, modified? and cylinder. Would that be a better option? More money, but the price is forgotten long after the quality is recognized!
Regarding the pump, I can shoot a 12ga easily without a recoil pad, but I'm also use to rifles with a little oomph to them. I'm not sure what experience you have had with heavy recoiling guns.

If you want to shorten the length of pull, it's not that difficult. If you are handy with tools, or know someone who is, you could go that route. A decent gunsmith could also do that. You'll probably have the change the pad though. If you go through the trouble of shortening length of pull, you shouldn't have any problems putting a grind to fit recoil pad on it. I recommend Pachmayr. They have a really good selection the choose from. I did one for my 30-06, and now it's extremely comfortable to shoot.

I bought mine from Midsouth shooters supplies, Midway USA has some too.

http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/reference/pachmayr_selection_guide.pdf

http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/AppCharts~pachmayr-recoil

As for the AR shotty, not a clue. I've seen them, though I don't recall who made it. It seemed like the one I saw was reliable.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-22-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #612
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Found it.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #613
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 554 Posts

fad crap.
avoid it.
its no diffrerent than a shotgun with mag feed. shotguns should load by just sliding one in, not dropping a mag, load the mag, and then reload the mag....just to get a 2nd shot.
its too much fumbling. tactical crap is for tactical crap.
sporting use is for sporting use.
we are shooting sporting guns at a sporting event.
a real shotgun has a bead....not red dots and scopes. that crap is for slugs and aaiiimmiinnnggg. we dont aim at clays. we lead them.
odds are 14 lop is fine. longer is always better. you wont ride your thumb with your nose. distance from nose to thumb should be 2".
oct may be cold. a good jacket should take care of recoil.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #614
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1957 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Regarding the pump, I can shoot a 12ga easily without a recoil pad, but I'm also use to rifles with a little oomph to them. I'm not sure what experience you have had with heavy recoiling guns.
Virtually zero experience with any kind of long guns. Took a couple shots with a few of JonM's long guns. On a bench. Also took a few shots with my son's Marlin lever action .357 from the shoulder. My only shotgun experience has been highly negative, but that was 40 years ago. About time I got over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
odds are 14 lop is fine. longer is always better. you wont ride your thumb with your nose. distance from nose to thumb should be 2". oct may be cold. a good jacket should take care of recoil.
Sounds good to me. I have no idea how sensitive the fit of the gun is to the LOP or any other measurement. I think I'd like to see if I like shotgunning before I go out and buy one. That's one of the big reasons why I'm coming to the Shoot & Hoot.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #615

exactly....youll see that when it comes to shotguns, its like fitting dance shoes. any dancer can dance in any shoes, but once you find a pair that fit, man you can put on a performance that will get you a standing ovation.

biggest mistake with clay shooters is they start on the low side and work up. but in doing so, they get frustrated with all the things one needsto deal with.
but, if theyd just went ahead and paid a little more, theyd get a gun designed for the dance.
most of the guns i see on the list coming to this meet are hunting guns, where fit and finish are secondary to coming home with the bacon.

no sweat...i can handle it, because i can shoot anything. but most beginners wouldnt know they were driving a jag from a vw when it comes to skeet or trap.

its gonna be fun for sure anyhow!

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #616
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1957 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 2123

I know I'm going to have fun. There will be at least one person there I can hoot at... me! I consider the ability to laugh at myself to be one of my best qualities. Hitting anything is just icing on the cake.

P.S. I like a lot of icing on my cake, so I'm counting you you to be a good teacher!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #617

i'll be under the tree watching you and laughing with you as you go around. i'll let winds teach you. now that will be a fun hoot!!!!

just a reminder, the mystery slot is open now. find me one more guy to fill up the 4pm squad for 5 oct. start looking!

Retired Naval Aviation

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #618
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7146 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
i'll be under the tree watching you and laughing with you as you go around. i'll let winds teach you. now that will be a fun hoot!!!!
ROFLMAO............good one.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #619

remember folks...help fill the 15th spot. mystery pic opening is dead. we need another shooter.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #620

now if anyone wants to practice up before coming...heres a site showing all the shotgun shooting ranges in the nation. click and see whats close to you.........

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/index.php

btw, please take time to go welcome a new poster i just rescued from a very poor quality website. his name is airborne1. go say hi!

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 07-27-2013 at 02:47 PM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Closed Thread