Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Missouri Gun Forum > 2nd FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 5, 13

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 652 Times on 513 Posts

unfortunatley, that route usually costs money.
the cheaper route is make due with what you can. but it involves cutting corners.
28ga would be most likely the best ga for you, but 28ga guns arent cheap and ammo is sky high.
410 is ok for people your size, but again, not much to choose from as far as light guns that can cycle two shots quick. semi's weigh a little more, so the 1100 is out. bolts and levers are next. a used mossy 500 in 410 is about the best thing going for cheap. but ive never seen one with a bbl less than 26". 870 remmys are out there, but cost more.
cheapest thing out there is really a mossy bolt gun in 410.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #22

Liked 1761 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Three really short people didn't walk into a bar...
But one did some chin ups...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
unfortunatley, that route usually costs money.
the cheaper route is make due with what you can. but it involves cutting corners.
28ga would be most likely the best ga for you, but 28ga guns arent cheap and ammo is sky high.
410 is ok for people your size, but again, not much to choose from as far as light guns that can cycle two shots quick. semi's weigh a little more, so the 1100 is out. bolts and levers are next. a used mossy 500 in 410 is about the best thing going for cheap. but ive never seen one with a bbl less than 26". 870 remmys are out there, but cost more.
cheapest thing out there is really a mossy bolt gun in 410.
Yep, they're cheap. Winds if you decide you like .410, get one. A shotgun can be really handy,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=335870029

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=336152016

Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1678 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Count me in! Gotta run to work right now, but I'll figure out the sign up and ticket stuff tonight.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #25

winds...if you look at that mossy 183, the bbl is cut to 19". not good. someone chopped off the polychoke. which means, that gun is now only a cylinder choke only good for skeet, not trap or all the other games we play at the meet. but it is the exact same model gun i have for you to borrow.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8063

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
heck...as long as its a full choke....no doubt wind's can shoot a snake charmer!
look it up winds....snake charmer 410 shotgun. its only a single shot but heck, we aint gonna make you shoot doubles if youre new at the games.
I won't be buying a shotgun before this Shoot and Hoot. I have to see how I like it and if I'm any good at it. On the other hand, I think big and I hope to try shooting doubles by the end of the day. Ya never know until you try, right?

What I don't like about shooting long guns, as Bobski mentioned, is the weight. I have a very weak left arm due to arthritis. Weak elbow and shoulder. My right side not so affected. It is difficult and even sometimes painful to shoulder a long gun because of having to support the weight with my left arm. My insurance kicks in May 1st and I will be going to a rheumatologist to see what relief is out there for me. I'm too young to be held back by arthritis. My left thumb is very weak, too.

Oh, yeah, can you give us the names, addresses and phone numbers of some nearby hotels. I know some of us may need to book rooms for a couple nights. I plan on arriving Friday, getting a good night's sleep, shooting Saturday and heading for home Sunday morning.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #27

winds, all info is listed on my website under the first page. see link in 1st thread at top of pg 1. based on what happened in march...i would suggest asking for monday off to give yourself a rain day. the 9 mar meet worked by the skin of its teeth...but the 10 mar meet got washed out. good thing some of the guys scheduled on 10 mar came a day early. the ones that didnt, never got to shoot due to rain. if they had loosened their schedule it would have worked for them. instead, they went back to alabama with no shooting. thats a long trip. i list the meet rain or shine...but it would have been miserable. real miserable. it was cold and soggy just one day later. they would have not enjoyed it. just giving you a heads up.

well, ive never been known to lie, but i will say this winds....you will have fun, but if you are banking your entire future on shotgunning based on a 410, your scores, and sucess, you will be disapointed. this meet is designed to just introduce different shotgun games to everyone. and its designed for people just like you...first timers or wounded shooters. actually, i expect you to be frustrated here. simply because id rather have you make your mistakes in private at my place, instead of with strangers at bonified ranges where odds are, they will feel like youre slowing them down. (like golf.)
the thing about shotgunning is...youll know if its sinking in. and when it does...you just keep doing it. like riding a bike. once you get your balance....youll know.
the 410 throws 1/2oz of shot. we will be throwing 1 1/8oz of shot. thats your 225 pellets to our 656. youll be shooting 1/3 what we will be shooting. good news...no kick. bad news....hard to hit a target at 40 yds with it unless youre a crack shot.
this is why i shoot for the last place score. it evens things out. shoot bad, win the match. hey...cant beat that!
trust me, most coming will all have 2 left thumbs. those that dont...youll know. but remember, the challenge isnt the guy next to you, its beating your fears and fighting yourself, while knowing youre doing it harder than anyone else...with a 410! any hits will be admired by everyone. especially me.

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 04-12-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #28

if anyone has a link to a 410 snake charmer...post it.
winds will like it....it has a thumbhole stock made of plastic. its real small.

oh...heres a pic of one on a box....

snake.jpg  

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 04-12-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #29

let me take this time to remind everyone that if we need to move the shoot back it will be on 19 oct instead of 5 oct. everything hinges on my schedule in connecticut in november. if my tennants move out on 1 nov as planned, ok. but if not....im not leaving for mo. until later in oct. im towing a truck thru the mountains without ac. id rather do it in cooler weather.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #30
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8063

I'm not requesting that weekend off from work until August or so.

I don't really care what others shoot. When I go shooting, I am only "competing" with myself. I always want to beat my best. If the .410 frustrates me, I'll take my chances on shooting something bigger. We'll work it out when I get there.

And I think I'll be making my mistakes in front of my fellow FTF'ers. I don't care. If I don't try it I will never learn.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Closed Thread