Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Missouri Gun Forum > 2nd FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 5, 13

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #111
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1749 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
if you shoot bad, you must walk a cow patty field as part of your punishment.
I can honestly say I'll shoot better than I ever have before... Does that mean I won't shoot bad? Or should I just plan on some disposable hip waders for the walk???

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 05-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #112
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
So everyone except one person has to walk through half digested grass composed fecal matter mixed with bovine urine?

I guess I'm glad I hit 95 of 100 a couple weeks ago... But they were all thrown straight out in front of us with very little variation in height and speed...

I'd better practice more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Alright! I get to shoot with Trip! Just remember, Trip, it's my job to make everyone else look good. One of us has to look like we know what we're doing, and that's you!!!
Quote:
I've never shot these games before! Only informal backyard style shooting. It's a whole different ball game!
Hmmm... Let's see. Trip owns a shotgun. He has shot 95/100 recently. Balota has taken 40 years to get over a bad experience and has shot 0/0 pretty much ever.

I only have two degrees in math, but one of them is telling me which of us is more likely to look like they know what they're doing!!!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #113
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Quote:
Will NOT be petting some stupid, smelly cow. They're good for absolutely nothing but milk and burgers. They don't even make cute babies!!
Cows are sweet and calves are adorable.

Quote:
if you shoot bad, you must walk a cow patty field as part of your punishment.
Quote:
dang straight.
theres a price for poor performance!
Now that I'm all paid up, the threats begin!! This was supposed to be a learning experience for me. I'm getting nervous about this.

I'll never forget walking my sister's cow pasture with her and my very young niece. The little one slipped on a cow patty and fell flat into it. I couldn't stop laughing.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #114

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post

Hmmm... Let's see. Trip owns a shotgun. He has shot 95/100 recently. Balota has taken 40 years to get over a bad experience and has shot 0/0 pretty much ever.

I only have two degrees in math, but one of them is telling me which of us is more likely to look like they know what they're doing!!!
Man, when these machines start throwing clays in directions and at speeds I'm not used to, it's anyone's game! These machines can sometimes throw up to 50ish miles per hour. A hand thrower, maybe around 15-25, unless you really put some umph into it. The spring loaded machine we were using the other weekend, we dumbed it down after the first few clays because we didn't want to wear ourselves out by recocking it. I have no idea how fast it was throwing, but it likely wasn't as fast as what we'll be seeing in Missouri. And, a straight away shot (like I was shooting at) ain't too hard to hit, especially when it's following an almost identical flight path every time.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #115

Liked 676 Times on 527 Posts

most home throwers are set up next to you, right?
well, in my course. youre 16yds away from the machine to start with!
these fellas are on the 17yd line.

tp_f2_pic3-1-.jpg  

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 05-05-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #116
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Bobski - Pls put me on the list - thanks! It is Oct 5th right?

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #117

Liked 676 Times on 527 Posts

as a maybe or as a payment sent? pm me for details.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #118
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Wow, with all these FTFers there I'm going to have to wear a disguise.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #119

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
most home throwers are set up next to you, right?
well, in my course. youre 16yds away from the machine to start with!
This should put things into a bit of a perspective...
I have fixed chokes in my gun, full and modified, and yes, the thrower was right next to me. Sue was doing the throwing for us, so I wanted him close enough that I could snatch him up by his hair if I needed too. Plus, without a trap house, don't really want to put someone out in front of you...

Let's look at this objectively...
Starting point = +16 yards
Speed = ~40 MPH, and this is usually considered the MINIMUM in American skeet. International can go up to ~70 MPH supposedly.
Max Effective Range for skeet from a Modified choke 12 gauge = 32.5 yards according to the chart.

This means, that with the starting point 16 yards out in front of you, and traveling at a minimum of 40 MPH, you have to get your shot off (optimally) before it travels another 16.5 yards.

By comparison, the average speed for an NFL running back in 2008 was 4.53 seconds for 40 yards.

This approximates as 2.25ish seconds for 20 yards, just 3.5 yards farther than the optimal range of a Modified choke 12 gauge (again, according to the chart)

Now... MPH? Average MPH for an NFL running back is supposedly somewhere between 17 and 21 MPH (bear in mind, those are usually short sprints, where they give it so much effort it would make my heart pop). We could do the math, converting yards into miles, and seconds into hours, multiply by this, divide by that, but I ain't doing it. This is less than half the speed a skeet usually travels.

We're looking at less than a second to get the shot in.

It's going to be challenging.
chokechart.jpg  

Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #120
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

bobski, Pm sent...

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Closed Thread