2nd FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 5, 13 - Page 104
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Missouri Gun Forum > 2nd FTF Shotgun Shoot & Hoot, Vanzant, Mo. OCT 5, 13

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #1031
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 771 Times on 603 Posts

understood. but dont wait too long. when it fills, its closed.

btw, youd be surprised. our first ftf meet we had 165 invites, 23 promises and only 3 showed up. 10 of the original ones asking and wanting the meet changed their minds.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #1032
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7653 Times on 4599 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
so, how do we do this to allow new comers? 11 old guys will fill the day. should we have another day, like a sunday?
or have a weekend for trained shooters and a weekend for new shooters in the same month?
I'd wait and see how many actually commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Looks interesting. Is this open to new people? I know I need some help in the shotgun shooting department...
New people are welcome!!

Quote:
i always suggested 2 days. it would act as a back up day for weather etc...
i agree. keep the same format.
but since some of you already went thru it....id open up range 2 so you could shoot on your own while i taught new guys, then swap fields. sound good?
I still need to be taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Will pencil that in. Sounds like one heck of a good time. I have never been to Missouri.
They have Jack in the Box restaurants!!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #1033

winds! start saving for your youth 410 now!

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #1034
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2233 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 2400

Finally have time to post. I had a great time! I will definitely be coming back in April.

But I want to shoot the 20 gauge next time. I think the 12 gauge was a little more than I am ready for. See attached photo. Bruise the size of my fist on my right bicep. Pretty deep too, took 2 days to come up where you could see it! Guess the stock slipped off my shoulder a few times. Ouch! Before I try this again, I'm getting a shoulder pad and some instruction in exactly where the damn stock belongs on my shoulder!

Rained pretty much the whole time for 2nd squad. 1st squad had it pretty clear most of the time. But their Annie Oakley round got washed out.

I found that the Poor Mans 5 Stand was basically a waste of good clays for me. But it taught me an important lesson about self defense! I could usually find the first bird, but I never found the 2nd unless Bobski told me where it was coming from. I need to break my attention from my first shot and become aware of my surroundings much faster. Tunnel vision is a common problem in self defense. Focus too long on 1st target and fail to see 2nd threat.

I tend to be more long-winded than most here, but I could not even begin to say enough about Robert Scott, the range master during the match. Bobski handled the one-on-one with the shooters, but Robert Scott did all the rest. I think there may actually be three of him since he seemed to be everywhere at once! Need to see if Winds can find a standing ovation smiley for Robert.

Bob and his wife Sarah are quite a team. Bob managed to handle a large number of new shooters. I'm pretty sure we all learned a lot in the process, I know I did. Sarah took care of the clubhouse and the people in it. She could talk intelligently on most any subject, very insightful, great sense of humor and a flair for hospitality. Those are some deep waters there. I'm sure Bob hits his knees every morning to thank God for her.

One last thing. If any of you can make it on 19-Oct, Bob & Sarah & Robert would love to see you at a followup match to this one. For the rest of you, sign up for the April 2014 match. I promise you will enjoy it!

img_20131010_063127_435.jpg  

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
And what FTF event is complete without The Pengie. I will say I have taken custody of The Pengie from Balota. I was horrified to discover Balota stapled a piece of Velcro to Pengie's butt so he could stick Pengie on the bill of his cap.

Anyway, the staple has been removed, the injury has been tended to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Balota, fastening Velcro to a penguin's behind MIGHT be perceived by PETA as an act of cruelty. You better not get Bobski and company in trouble by getting the farm raided by animal-nazis! Winds should police all acts of possible animal abuse and keep us PC.

Does that make Winds the Penguin Police? She'll need a black and white waiter uniform with a badge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Animal abuse? I didn't mention (until now) that Balota squashed an Opossum under his car tire, did I?
For the record, Pengie insisted that I find some way to let him be involved in the match. "Whatever it takes" were his exact words. Bobski told us that when we miss the clay pigeons they laugh at us. Pretty sure they weren't the only birds laughing at me! At least he had a ringside perch! And he did cheer the few times I actually hit the clays. Pengie is a real trooper!

Now about that Opossum... Wet, winding, 2 lane road, on a rainy night, with very valuable cargo on board: Winds, TekGreg, TekWife, Pengie and me. I actually did try to straddle him, but I couldn't move far enough to save him. Sad, but unavoidable. Sorry, Winds.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1036
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7653 Times on 4599 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Now about that Opossum... Wet, winding, 2 lane road, on a rainy night, with very valuable cargo on board: Winds, TekGreg, TekWife, Pengie and me. I actually did try to straddle him, but I couldn't move far enough to save him. Sad, but unavoidable. Sorry, Winds.
I'm over it. I appreciated you doing the driving.......even if the Opossum didn't.

Quote:
Finally have time to post. I had a great time! I will definitely be coming back in April.

But I want to shoot the 20 gauge next time. I think the 12 gauge was a little more than I am ready for. See attached photo. Bruise the size of my fist on my right bicep. Pretty deep too, took 2 days to come up where you could see it! Guess the stock slipped off my shoulder a few times. Ouch! Before I try this again, I'm getting a shoulder pad and some instruction in exactly where the damn stock belongs on my shoulder!
But you literally shot that 12 gauge all day long without a complaint. Impressive.

Quote:
Need to see if Winds can find a standing ovation smiley for Robert.
This is the closest I could find.

Quote:
Sarah took care of the clubhouse and the people in it. She could talk intelligently on most any subject, very insightful, great sense of humor and a flair for hospitality. Those are some deep waters there. I'm sure Bob hits his knees every morning to thank God for her.
It's obvious they both appreciate each other very much.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #1037

she is truly my better half.
balota...time to start looking for a 20ga. mine may not be here next meet. stock goes inthe crotch of your shoulder. i guess it did slip off a few times! m50's dont kick unless you got it off your shoulder. we will improve you next shoot.
btw...your mail is enroute....

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #1038

My son is now the proud owner of an MKA 1919 with appropriate US part replacements. 12ga, 10 round mags for either 2-3/4" std or 3" magnum, TFO reflex sight plus Ruger Rapid Deploy sight front and back. Remington 1100 action, but AR-15 controls. Looks like an AR-15 with a big fat barrel, but it doesn't look feasible for trap/skeet. Sure as hell wouldn't want to be looking at the wrong end of it though. Home defense gun.

Balota

Old 10-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #1039

leave it home. tacticool is 'not cool' for clays.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #1040

Quote:
leave it home. tacticool is 'not cool' for clays.
Yeah, I figured a 10 rd mag and sights were not kosher.

Balota

Closed Thread