overview of Mississippi's new open carry law - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Mississippi Gun Forum > overview of Mississippi's new open carry law

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Scratchammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis,The volunteer state
Posts: 1,471
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Well the hearing is today & started at 1:00 PM. Does anyone know what the status is?

__________________

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Scratchammo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

I have not heard the outcome.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/22785507/judge-hears-miss-open-carry-gun-law-arguments

Quote:
Judge Winston Kidd issued an order June 28 to temporarily block the bill from becoming law on its scheduled date, July 1. The block applies statewide. At the conclusion of the hearing Monday, Kidd extended his order until Friday. He said he will rule on or before that day.
Read more: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/22785507/judge-hears-miss-open-carry-gun-law-arguments#ixzz2YUS9EQAT
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.


Last edited by orangello; 07-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/sheriff-brad-lance-of-tate-county-mississippi-says-judge-kidds-injunction-is-not-for-his-county/

Apparently the Sheriff in Tate County (45 minutes south of Memphis, TN) did not agree with Judge Kidd of Hinds County.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
Scratchammo Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ellis36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Batesville,Mississippi
Posts: 878
Liked 693 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 414

Default

http://www.wapt.com/news/politics/judge-extends-order-blocking-opencarry-law/-/9156836/20873716/-/item/1/-/du9yxiz/-/index.html

Judge extends order blocking open-carry gun law
Mississippi law was to take effect July 1
UPDATED 2:55 PM CDT Jul 08, 2013



JACKSON, Miss. —A Hinds County circuit judge has extended a temporary block on a Mississippi open-carry gun law.

During Monday's hearing, Lisa Ross, the attorney representing Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith and others suing to block House Bill 2, argued that the right to bear arms is not without limitations.
"It puts puts law enforcement in a very precarious situation," Ross said.
Hinds County Constable Jerry Moore testified that he thinks House Bill 2 is confusing. He said he would be unsure about who he would be able to approach on the job.
"That's a fearful thing because you don't know who is who," Moore said.
Ross asked Hinds County Circuit Court Judge Winston Kidd to extend the restraining order until the Mississippi Legislature can meet again to clarify the law, which was to take effect July 1.
Assistant Attorney General Harold Pizetta argued that House Bill 2 says a permit is needed when carrying a concealed weapon. He said it does not do away with restrictions.
Pizetta said the state can restrict the right to carry guns openly on school campuses. He said the right is subject to reasonable restrictions.
Pizetta told the judge that the open-carry law would not lead to a "Wild West scenario."
Kidd said he will issue a ruling on Friday.

The law has been on hold since June 28, when Smith was granted an injunction based on concerns he and other law enforcement representatives had about the law. The block applies statewide.

"If there's an amendment that creates some confusion, it should certainly be clarified and certainly should give citizens the answers that they deserve," Smith said.
State Rep. Andy Gipson, who authored the bill, said the concerns some have are unfounded.
"They believe that by blocking House Bill 2, they're blocking open-carry, but the truth is -- and I hope this comes out of the hearing -- the Constitution already provides for open-carry. Nothing that the judge could do could alter that," Gipson said.
Gipson said he expects the state to take the law to the Mississippi Supreme Court if Kidd blocks it from taking effect.
__________________
ellis36 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Scratchammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis,The volunteer state
Posts: 1,471
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
http://www.wapt.com/news/politics/judge-extends-order-blocking-opencarry-law/-/9156836/20873716/-/item/1/-/du9yxiz/-/index.html

Judge extends order blocking open-carry gun law
Mississippi law was to take effect July 1
UPDATED 2:55 PM CDT Jul 08, 2013



JACKSON, Miss. —A Hinds County circuit judge has extended a temporary block on a Mississippi open-carry gun law.

During Monday's hearing, Lisa Ross, the attorney representing Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith and others suing to block House Bill 2, argued that the right to bear arms is not without limitations.
"It puts puts law enforcement in a very precarious situation," Ross said.
Hinds County Constable Jerry Moore testified that he thinks House Bill 2 is confusing. He said he would be unsure about who he would be able to approach on the job.
"That's a fearful thing because you don't know who is who," Moore said.
Ross asked Hinds County Circuit Court Judge Winston Kidd to extend the restraining order until the Mississippi Legislature can meet again to clarify the law, which was to take effect July 1.
Assistant Attorney General Harold Pizetta argued that House Bill 2 says a permit is needed when carrying a concealed weapon. He said it does not do away with restrictions.
Pizetta said the state can restrict the right to carry guns openly on school campuses. He said the right is subject to reasonable restrictions.
Pizetta told the judge that the open-carry law would not lead to a "Wild West scenario."
Kidd said he will issue a ruling on Friday.

The law has been on hold since June 28, when Smith was granted an injunction based on concerns he and other law enforcement representatives had about the law. The block applies statewide.

"If there's an amendment that creates some confusion, it should certainly be clarified and certainly should give citizens the answers that they deserve," Smith said.
State Rep. Andy Gipson, who authored the bill, said the concerns some have are unfounded.
"They believe that by blocking House Bill 2, they're blocking open-carry, but the truth is -- and I hope this comes out of the hearing -- the Constitution already provides for open-carry. Nothing that the judge could do could alter that," Gipson said.
Gipson said he expects the state to take the law to the Mississippi Supreme Court if Kidd blocks it from taking effect.
Good response. I guess we'll have to wait & see what happens to the bill.
__________________

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Scratchammo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Scratchammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis,The volunteer state
Posts: 1,471
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Here's what the Commercial Appeal had to say:


JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi's open-carry gun law remains on hold at least few more days.

Hinds County Circuit Judge Winston Kidd says he'll decide by Friday whether to further extend his June 28 order that blocked the law from taking effect July 1.

Kidd heard arguments Monday from plaintiffs who sued to stop the law and a state attorney who defended it.

Plaintiffs' attorney Lisa Ross calls the law unconstitutionally vague. Assistant Attorney General Harold Pizzetta says plaintiffs are trying to make the law confusing.

Earlier this year, legislators passed and Gov. Phil Bryant signed House Bill 2, which says adults don't need a permit to carry a gun that's not concealed.

Bryant's spokesman on Monday said there's no chance the governor will call a special session to clarify the law.

__________________

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Scratchammo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,689
Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Default

It will be interesting to see how the general population of Mississippi react to non-convicted gang-bangers walking around with 9s hanging out of their drawers, or Hispanic farm workers cashing their checks at the grocery store with a pair of hog-legs and crossed bandoleer of ammo.

__________________
Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
It will be interesting to see how the general population of Mississippi react to non-convicted gang-bangers walking around with 9s hanging out of their drawers, or Hispanic farm workers cashing their checks at the grocery store with a pair of hog-legs and crossed bandoleer of ammo.
not many people who open carry trend to fit your sick racial profiling.
__________________
The1Monster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,689
Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Monster View Post
not many people who open carry trend to fit your sick racial profiling.
Oh Hell, I offended someone on this forum with racial profiling? I beg your pardon, and bless your heart.

But, there are gun-toting gang-bangers, and there are Hispanic farm workers in Mississippi,(legal and illegal) there will be nothing to prevent either of them to carry as I propose. It will be their right as well as the good-ole-boys. What I am saying that the preacher, the deputy and Grandma ain't gonna appreciate it, but there won't be a dang thing they can do about it, cause what is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

On my next trip to New Orleans, maybe I will get some bandoleers and hog-legs, for the brief trip through Miss., but I promise I won't wear my drawers around my knees. (oh damn, I did it again)
__________________
Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ellis36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Batesville,Mississippi
Posts: 878
Liked 693 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 414

Default

As I wrote earlier on this thread, Mississippi has long had OC without license. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way some lawmaker wrote and got passed a CC bill that essentially nullified the OC law without license by making the definition of ‘concealed’ to be when any part of the weapon was hidden from view. This made OC without a permit, which was the law, impossible.

The intent of House Bill #2 is to clearly define what a concealed weapon is.

The bill defines the word 'concealed,' and in doing so says 'it shall not include
weapons being carried upon a person in a sheath, belt holster or shoulder
holster that is wholly or partially visible.’

That’s it!

Under the current law a concealed weapons permit is required to carry a gun
even if the holster is visible because a portion of the gun is concealed inside
the holster.

Under the "Open Carry” law, if passed, the gun in the holster will no longer be considered ‘concealed’
and the weapon can be carried in a holster without a permit.

__________________
ellis36 is offline  
Scratchammo Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
why open carry???? freetobefree Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 14 12-20-2012 01:38 PM
Difference between open carry and concealed carry ineverFTF Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 08-31-2012 06:11 PM
Open carry or not partdeux General Handgun Discussion 37 10-07-2011 11:51 PM
Would you open carry if you could? michiana Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 179 07-27-2010 03:24 AM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate Tony Soprano The Club House 31 08-06-2009 04:23 AM