Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Mississippi Gun Forum > overview of Mississippi's new open carry law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default overview of Mississippi's new open carry law

This is a good explanation of how Mississippi has become an open carry state.

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/how-the-state-of-mississippi-became-an-open-carry-state/

I've been reading some other forums and seems some are pretty worried about how this will go in July.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It should be interesting. Honestly, most people I know have a pistol in their car anyway (legally).

This is a link to a nice MS firearms forum thread by a LEO discussing a LEO-only meeting about the new open carry situation: http://www.msgunowners.com/t41161-open-carry-some-questions-answered-maybe

Highlights:

Quote:
1. No open carry on school campus.
2. Enhanced carry on school campus is ok in Mississippi but only by a Ms Enhanced permit holder.
3. Non-resident can open carry.
4. Enough of the firearm must be visible so that to "common observation" it is readily apparent that it is a firearm.
5. Firearm means firearm. (Handgun, rifle, shotgun)
6. Law enforcement can approach someone carrying firearm openly and ask for identifying info to determine if a person is a convicted felon AS LONG AS THE ENCOUNTER IS CONSENSUAL.
7. Sheriff of each county determines whether or not a firearm can be carried inside a court house. Judge make determination about the courtroom.
8. Firearm can be carried in a waistband or pocket as long as enough of the firearm is visible. (See point 1)
9. Private property owners (retail store, grocery store, restaurant, etc...) may restrict the carrying of weapons and firearms on their property.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 05-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCriswell View Post
This is a good explanation of how Mississippi has become an open carry state.

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/how-the-state-of-mississippi-became-an-open-carry-state/

I've been reading some other forums and seems some are pretty worried about how this will go in July.
I don't see why anyone should worry. Are the people of a significantly different culture than those across the river? As a transplant to Louisiana from Mississippi, I'll answer for you, "no".

It was the same in Missouri when they got more carry freedoms. I believe that was when the quote, "the streets will run red with blood" came about.

It's been proven, time and again, crime rates drop so far, everywhere, Americans enjoy more freedoms.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The worry isn't about people being armed. The worry is for a couple of reasons:
1) as a CCW holder in MS now I can tell you that the number of places / businesses that have post posted no firearms signs is pretty low but once open carry goes into effect and it becomes visable I suspect that many more signs will go up in places like chain stores especially but it will happen just in general. This will translate to fewer places I can carry.
2) The initial shock to the system of open carry on the general public is may very well result in more calls to LEOs reporting armed "suspects" wandering about. This will result in more "interaction" which depending on how it is handled by both sides could very well have negative results.

Its a cultural change that if it happens slowly and is handled well will have positive results but it could just as easily go wrong and have very negative results. Hence the worry.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #5

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
The worry isn't about people being armed. The worry is for a couple of reasons...
That's YOUR worry, and by golly that's a damned legitimate worry.

But, the worries being expressed by a lot of people NOT of our culture and by many law enforcement officials, not to mention the legislators who are against it, is that they think crime and gun violence is going to increase. As if just being able to openly carry is suddenly going to lead to high noon shootouts on main street. This has been the big concern among non gun people everywhere that OC has been permitted.

The really funny thing, I think, is that, let's face it, OC isn't popular. OC is legal here, yet only a very small handful of people do it.

I very much suspect it'll be the same in Mississippi.

Orangello, didn't you say you weren't likely to do it either?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Ive open carried for so long now in mississippi, due to being a armed guard it has become second nature to me. Ive open carried in all type of stores and never had a problem, waffle house is a weapons free place although there signage isnt legal.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Evidently we'll have to wait until at least after the 8th. I honestly didn't think Mississippi had any seemingly anti-gun politicians. This however, doesn't prevent permit holders from open carry.

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Judge-blocks-Mississippi-open-carry-gun-law-4637147.php

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have wondered if they did that so it wouldn't go into effect during a holiday.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

There's a thought. Its effect, though, would be a match on a fire given the actuality of armed marches on the holiday.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 07-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 622 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
As if just being able to openly carry is suddenly going to lead to high noon shootouts on main street. This has been the big concern among non gun people everywhere that OC has been permitted.

The really funny thing, I think, is that, let's face it, OC isn't popular. OC is legal here, yet only a very small handful of people do it.

I very much suspect it'll be the same in Mississippi.
OC has been and is legal in Mississippi. The way the Concealed Carry law was written pretty much ended up requiring a CCW to OC…in that any handgun covered in any way, whether in a holster, in the belt…or, for that matter, head by the grip in the hand, qualified as a concealed weapon. What the new law attempts to do is redefine concealed carry more specifically so as to allow holstered weapons or weapons in the belt to be carried without a CCW. What this does is provide relief for any number of ranchers, farmers, etc. who carry in their daily routine and might have to run into town or to the store for something while OC. This way they don’t have to fork over the $135 a CCW costs to be legal. Or remember to leave their weapons in the truck. (Not really desirable.)

Personally I’ve never seen anyone open carrying on the streets. I did see a new ‘No Weapons Allowed’ sign posted in a store in Batesville last Thursday. There might be a few who do OC for a few days, just because they can, but I don’t expect much to change. Certainly no ‘blood in the streets! Ha! That’s ridiculous on the face of it.