new open carry to go in effect july 1st

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Mississippi Gun Forum > new open carry to go in effect july 1st

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default new open carry to go in effect july 1st

If I understand this right, the state law makers by changing a few words made MS an open carry state.

http://wreg.com/2013/03/15/new-gun-law-in-ms-to-start-in-july/

NEVER FORGET

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I must admit open carry is OK under the right circumstances. But certainly not for me unless I am hunting or in a similar environment. I believe that for regular everyday carry for protection it should be concealed as best as possible. My reason is that in a situation I would not want to give the bad guy a heads up or provide him with advanced notice that I am armed and a threat to him. To me in this case on our part stealth and treachery is best! If he knew I was armed, he would have the advantage since I might not know he was a bad guy and getting ready to commit the crime. He could possibly be casing a location before pulling a robbery, just pose as a normal shopper and walk up behind me and pop me in the head. Therefore eliminating his only threat. Then on the other hand open carry can support fuel for the ant gun folks. You figure it out! If there is any sort of an incident where the blame could be established on the false grounds that it was due to one person knowing another had a pistol and open carry you can bet they are going to use this as fuel to attempt to take all rights to carry away. At a time like this we certainly do not want to give them any fuel for their illegal cause! I respect the opinions of all regarding carry and we certainly have the right to do so! But sometimes logic and common sense is the better choice.
Constitutional Rights which we have is one thing but common sense needs to be considered.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Honestly, I feel for the first few people to try this out. I hope the various sheriff's departments get some memos.

So, this is "permit-free" open carry allowed under this new wording?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-25-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I don't think so. Like I stated before, this is for ccl protection in the case that your gun is exposed while adjusting your clothing and such. I don't take it as open carry with no ccl. I'm sure we will find out about july 2 for sure.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.concealedweaponcarry.com/documents/Gipson%20Summary.pdf

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130324/COL0601/303240044/Geoff-Pender-Permit-not-totin-gun-OK?nclick_check=1
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My brother-in-law went to his enhanced class to add to his carry permit this weekend and with an instructor I would trust (veteran & current LEO). He asked the instructor about the new law and was told that after the law takes effect in July that people will be able to open carry in a holster without a permit. It was his opinion that people doing so should be prepared for questions from LEO's responding to complaints. He indicated that permit holders could also carry in a OWB holster or incompletely concealed holster.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #7

Default Wow sniper03

If most of us would open carry then it would be one guy with a gun against 10 so open carry wins

Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

However, in 1992, the legislature passed a shall issue concealed carry law that forbid the carrying of a pistol or revolver, if it were "concealed in whole or in part" without a permit.

In an obscure court case, that law had been interepreted to mean that a person could not carry a handgun openly, because part of the firearm, even if it were suspended by a thong around the neck, was concealed.

This bit of judicial idiocy seems insane, as the Constitution only gives the legislature the power to regulate or forbid concealed carry, and yet the court is saying that all carry is concealed carry, making a mockery of the state Constitution.

On 4 March, 2013, reason prevailed in Mississippi. The offending language was removed from the statute. The law is now in concurrence with the state Constitution. It will go into effect on 1 July of 2013.

Open carry in Mississippi, will clearly be legal without a permit, as the Constitution requires. Those who have a permit to carry concealed need not worry about legal consequences if some part of their personal defensive weapon is inadvertently revealed through a gust of wind, a reach to an upper shelf, or a “wardrobe malfunction”.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/03/concealed-and-open-carry-in-mississippi.html?m=1

Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I open carry (in NC) everyday, in my current line if work I see LEO's regularly and am never questioned. I get more more 'whatcha carrying' questions then dirty looks.
Nearly everyone who notices does a double take and or cuts curious eyes, I'm asked often am I the law.
I personally believe a visible gun is a deterrent. Ppl are going to do what they're going to do regardless but I believe that they will think twice if they see people carrying..
I've been carrying mainly open since 2001.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I carry openly just about everyday I've become used to it after working armed security for so long.