Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Mississippi Gun Forum > Enhanced carry question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't have one, but it is my understanding that you will basically be able to carry anywhere except a courthouse or police station or federal building. It is also my understanding that this is a big part of the class you take.

My brother in law has signed up for the class to change his regular carry permit to the "enhanced" permit. I found out the class will be taught by a local police officer here who is also a veteran of the war in afcrapistan, a good guy.

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/firearms/firearms-permit-unit/enhanced-permit-certified-firearms-instructors/

Call one of those guys on the list for some more reliable info on the enhanced permit and to schedule a class if you want it (geographically listed).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf Has a bit of a description and a quote for the "enhanced" law.

Quote:
A person licensed under Section 45-9-101 to carry a concealed pistol, who has voluntarily completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or by any other organization approved by the Department of Public Safety, shall also be authorized to carry weapons in courthouses except in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding, and any location listed in subsection (13) of Section 45-9-101, except any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, any police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail. The department shall promulgate rules and regulations allowing concealed pistol permit holders to obtain an endorsement on their permit indicating that they have completed the aforementioned course and have the authority to carry in these locations. This section shall in no way interfere with the right of a trial judge to restrict the carrying of firearms in the courtroom.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

BTW, many people miss the part about this being the Mississippi section of the forum, myself included, when they view by newest post rather than by forum section.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-13-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks! Very good info. I just wasn't sure how big of a difference it would make to get it. Sounds like it'll be worth it, if for anything just a little extra training never hurts. Might learn something

Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack80 View Post
Thanks! Very good info. I just wasn't sure how big of a difference it would make to get it. Sounds like it'll be worth it, if for anything just a little extra training never hurts. Might learn something
Until my BIL told me who his instructor was to be, i wondered about the value of the classes, but his instructor is a really knowledgable veteran and a fine officer, IMO.

I have been delaying but will probably do the class and permit this summer.

The ability to carry legally and permit-free in my car has been very comforting. I keep a pistol in the car and use a lockbox attached to the car when i get out of the car.

Last edited by orangello; 03-14-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #14

Being able to have a gun in your car pretty much saved my dads life. It's very nice being able to do that.
I just decided to get my permit because you never know when you'll need it and I'd rather have it and not need it then the other way around.
A friend of mine posted on FB about open carry being legal in MS soon. Haven't heard a whole lot more on it though

Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack80 View Post
A friend of mine posted on FB about open carry being legal in MS soon. Haven't heard a whole lot more on it though
I haven't heard that lately. On the books, it seems like open carry is legal, but in practice, Judges have held that you would need to have an invisible holster such that no part of the firearm is concealed from view (so don't cover the grip with your hand), making open carry effectively illegal.

I wish the permits were for open or cocealed, just for when somebody's grip shines a bit.

I will try to remember to update this after my BIL attends his class.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #16

Yeah let me know what you hear. I'm looking into it when I get home from offshore. I might line up a class for my time in

Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

BIL had his class and got a lot out of it. The instructor did explain that the new law would allow permit free open carry in holsters that were clearly visible. The instructor did not recommend open carry and indicated that he expects police to waste a lot of time questioning OC people after they get a complaint call.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 760 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
You're referring to taking extra training and being allowed to carry in places normally deemed No Gun Zones. We had a bill like that here in Michigan. It passed the House and Senate, but the Governor vetoed it in the aftermath of Newtown.
Mr. RINO Gov intended to veto it before Newtown.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default enhanced carry

There is an endorsement for ms firearms permits that allows you to carry in all but three of the no carry areas listed in the regular permit rules. You must take and pass a gun class that is taught by a nra approved instructor. Most classes have 4 or so hours of class room training and then skills demonstration. The only places you cannot carry after the endorsement is law enforcement offices, jails or other internment facilities, and a courtroom that is in session. Federal buildings are also off limits as usual. After taking the course, take the certificate you get to the highway patrol office and show it to them and they will put a sticker on the back of your permit that has IC on it for instructor certified.