Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Mississippi Gun Forum > Enhanced carry question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Enhanced carry question

I recently went to get my concealed carry permit and I asked the trooper about the enhanced carry permit. He said there was no such thing.
I've read about it and from what I can gather I have to go take a class then bring my certificate to the DMV and they'll give me a sticker that goes on my license. Is that correct?
Also, what are some places I would be able to carry with enhanced that I couldn't without? I'm still not clear on that

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #2

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

"Enhanced carry"?
What does that mean?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 99 Posts

Where are you? It varies state to state, and in some states by county.

I'm in Idaho, and ours will be changing over the next year. Currently there is no formal training requirement. Which means that very few states recognize our concealed weapons permits.

The legislature just passed a new law, establishing an enhanced version that includes a training requirement. Which, something like 39 states will recognize.

We will soon have two permits, the one we have had for years, that just requires a background test, and the enhanced one that requires proof of training and a range session.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #4

I'm in Mississippi. There is no training required for concealed carry here. In order to get this concealed carry permit you take a class. From what I've read it just means I can carry more places. Here's a link to the info I got on it, but I'm still curious why they didn't know what I was talking about
http://safefireshooting.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsafefireshooting.com%2FMS_ Concealed_Carry.html#2653

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Yes, please say what state you live in--and what you mean by "Enhanced carry"

here in Ohio, theres only 1 carry permit. period. no point in putting a sticker on your license. when the officer pulls you over and runs your tags, he finds out who the vehicle is registered to, and if the registered owner of the vehicle has a CCW, then that also comes up. He knows you have a permit before he even approaches the car. but we still have a requirement to inform/notify him that we are licensed and carrying -- afterall, you could be driving a friends car, a rental car if yours is in for repairs, or if you're driving a spouses vehicle. that requirement to notify is fulfilled by handing the officer your permit card with your DL, and informing him that you are currently carrying.

but I have no idea what you mean by "enhanced carry"

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Liked 310 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're referring to taking extra training and being allowed to carry in places normally deemed No Gun Zones. We had a bill like that here in Michigan. It passed the House and Senate, but the Governor vetoed it in the aftermath of Newtown.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383
Yes, please say what state you live in--and what you mean by "Enhanced carry"

but I have no idea what you mean by "enhanced carry"
I guess I should have put the state in the title, I thought this was the Mississippi forum though. But that's where I'm from, Mississippi.
From what I can gather, see link on previous comment, it's an endorsement you get on your permit to allow you to carry more places that you normally couldn't carry. I was just seeing if anyone has any examples of what type places that would be and if anyone else has got there's in Mississippi

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
You're referring to taking extra training and being allowed to carry in places normally deemed No Gun Zones. We had a bill like that here in Michigan. It passed the House and Senate, but the Governor vetoed it in the aftermath of Newtown.
Yeah that's right. Just tryin to get more info on it

Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #9

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack80 View Post
I guess I should have put the state in the title, I thought this was the Mississippi forum though. But that's where I'm from, Mississippi.
From what I can gather, see link on previous comment, it's an endorsement you get on your permit to allow you to carry more places that you normally couldn't carry. I was just seeing if anyone has any examples of what type places that would be and if anyone else has got there's in Mississippi

Yea, I just realized that. that's what I get for browsing the forum by viewing new posts only....I sometimes don't pay attention to what forum the posts are actually in before asking said question!

In Ohio, there's only one kind of carry, and all the normal places are off limits no matter what.

...unless your an LEO, then you can carry into those "off limits places"

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #10

Anyone?