Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Minnesota Gun Forum > Should I get a AR15??? Are these guns going to be ban soon???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Cha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Should I get a AR15??? Are these guns going to be ban soon???

Hi, I am a fellow Minnesotan , I'm sure everything is going to be okay but I am very worried about gun bans and our gun rights at the moment. I have herd rumors and I know theres been a lot of talk around the media. I figure I can get a peace of mind from what you all have to say. I have spoken with a lot people and everybody has been saying " Hey you should go get your self an AR before they ban it or prices shoots up, Stock up on ammo and mags too!!" Well it just so happend that i am very broke and can't afford all of that but if a ban is possible, shoot I am willing to take a laon and make preparations of my own. I would love to here your insights and opinions. Thank you all for the time and I hope to hear from you all soon. ( on a side note my buddy ask me Are you willing to die for that rifle? If the government knock on your door and demanded that you give them the rifle with no refunds, what will you do?? ) Whats the chance of that happening ????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

You're just a tiny bit late to the party. They haven't been banned yet and may never be. Nobody will know for certain until the powers-at-be have their say on the Congressional floor.

However, the panic has already set in and you'll be hard-pressed to find an AR, .223/5.56 Ammo or Magzines at this point. And if you do find what you're looking for, expect a 20-400% mark-up on any of it.

For instance, 30-round Magpul Magazines are selling (not just listing... SELLING) on eBay for $60+. Just a few weeks ago, you could get them for about $15. AR-15's that once were valued at $700 are now selling for $1200-1800 and will only get more expensive as the possibility of a ban gets closer.

You might get lucky and find some stragglers or hit a pocket of parts somewhere from a shipment placed before the frenzy, but don't get your hopes up. And be prepared to make a pretty solid investment.

Anyone talking about ban specifics is just speculating at this point, but the speculation has been enough to make the prices go nuts. I just finished an AR 2 days before Christmas. I've got roughly $700 in the build and I had a guy offer me $1000 cash for it. I turned him down and he said that if I changed my mind to come at him with an offer of what I'd accept and we would work it out. People are desperate for them. Your best bet would be to try and procure a stripped lower and start a build as you find parts. That way you won't pay some exorbitant amount of money.

On the other hand, do you really want or need an AR? Buying something just because it might be banned one day isn't a great idea unless you've really been toying with the idea of getting one. I started my build about 6 months ago and just so happened to finish it right here on the brink of the AR-Insanity. If you don't really need or want one, I'd say pass on it so you don't get caught up in the "Free Market" (Gouging).

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Also, the chances of the government coming to your house and taking your gun is slim to nil. Laws are typically not passed retroactively. Say the government decided to ban anything larger than a 6-cylinder engine. Would they go house-to-house and take away people's cars that they've paid for? Not likely. You can't take away people's property if they've legally obtained it. Those people are being paranoid and probably don't know the due process and requirements of enacting a law.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 1091

First of all if they do start coming to the door to confiscate weapons there will be an insurrection in the United States. The government can take that to the bank! Should they be stupid enough to do that. They will also be having some federal officials and agency members that will be on the peoples side! That is a direct contradiction of our Constitutional Rights under the Second Amendment. But the main issue at this time is can you even find one available if you want one for a fair price. It is almost too late due to the present demand. You could certainly order one but it could now be up to one year before delivery to the dealers from the armories. This also due to the present demand! If you can find one and you want one get a loan and BUY IT!
You must figure dealing with the idiots we have in office today you can almost be assured if nothing else they will screw the AR Rifle up and it will not be all the same as it is now. If they do not ban new sales completely. And then the price has gone up on the ones available because the dealers know they can not replace it within a reasonable time. So if you want one you best hunt one down and get it. This is only my opinion. Ammunition is getting more scarce also at the present. Good Luck!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mail/?alertid=61046526&type=ML Let our Reps and POTUS know you're NOT ok with the pending "ban". Do your part and let your voice be heard and hope that they listen

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

If EVERY gun owner took 5 minutes a week to write/email/call their Senators/Congressmen and express their disappointment in how they have chosen to represent the MAJORITY of folk in the United States, they would roll over on their backs and do what every politition does naturally (urinate in submission) when confronted by angry voters!

Just do it!

eldar

Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Cha

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thank you all for the advice and comments, I have already submitted a email thanks for the link by the way. I am a proud gun owner and I am glad to know that there are many others who feels the same. If one day you decided to band and protest please contact me, I will gladly show my support. Although current tragedy events have occurred we as responsible gun owners should not have to suffer, Americans in general does not need to suffer from such ignorant actions.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1695 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 3455

Sportsman's Warehouse got 15 AR's in and in 10 minutes they were gone!

Another LGS had pulled PMAGS from the floor and everyone that purchased at AR, they were selling at least 4 of the PMAGS with the weapon at standard price (no mark ups). They have a loyal base of customers.

Today they had the only remaining AK, standard price; however, I had to pass. Fear from the wife, purchasing any Soviet Block weapon is a big no no! Alot of PROMAGS for AK.

The next weapon is either 9mm Charter Arms Pitbull revolver and/or .223 Bolt action rifle.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

My two $$ for what its worth these days...wait it out. The market will settle. I dont see any ban making its way to the floor much less voted in.

BUT, as stated, contact , contact, CONTACT your representation, state and federal. Do it now, do it often!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
bluez Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1695 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 3455

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
My two $$ for what its worth these days...wait it out. The market will settle. I dont see any ban making its way to the floor much less voted in.

BUT, as stated, contact , contact, CONTACT your representation, state and federal. Do it now, do it often!
I have 1 pro-2nd Amendment in New Mexico for both House and Senate. Rep. Steve Pearce. The rest, sending letters and getting BS back, they do not listen.