Let's get this started - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Minnesota Gun Forum > Let's get this started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This was the mildest winter I recall in northern Mn. I was out at my favorite pit shooting nearly every weekend! I did much more shooting than fishing. I didn't see a single walleye. Very sad.
Right now the Kamloops and Coho's are biting well along the shores of the big lake here in Duluth.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Today is Easter and it has been a good day. The younger generations headed off to church followed by an excellent meal. By 1 PM we were ready to shoot , #1 daughter had to work and Grandma stayed inside. The grand daughter used her pink rifle and the grandson was ready to sight in the new scope on his Henry .22. Number 2 daughter began with shooting an M&P 9 as did her boyfriend . The son-in-law went from shooting his new 9 to knocking down steel with a competition model Ruger and finished up doing an excellent job at 40 yds on a critical mass target -14 for 15 rounds fired with the M&P. The grand daughter (age 6) was happy using a sandbag and knocking down silhouettes at the 40 yds, while the grandson (age 10) did well with the Henry and switched to a S&W 63 22 revolver and moved up to 20 yds. After every one left, grandpa spent some time with a 5 1/2 in Ruger bull barrel and then switched to a competition Ruger with a 2x Leupold. For a guy who loves revolvers, the only one I shot was the 63. I couldn't have had a better day.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #23

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
Today is Easter and it has been a good day. The younger generations headed off to church followed by an excellent meal. By 1 PM we were ready to shoot , #1 daughter had to work and Grandma stayed inside. The grand daughter used her pink rifle and the grandson was ready to sight in the new scope on his Henry .22. Number 2 daughter began with shooting an M&P 9 as did her boyfriend . The son-in-law went from shooting his new 9 to knocking down steel with a competition model Ruger and finished up doing an excellent job at 40 yds on a critical mass target -14 for 15 rounds fired with the M&P. The grand daughter (age 6) was happy using a sandbag and knocking down silhouettes at the 40 yds, while the grandson (age 10) did well with the Henry and switched to a S&W 63 22 revolver and moved up to 20 yds. After every one left, grandpa spent some time with a 5 1/2 in Ruger bull barrel and then switched to a competition Ruger with a 2x Leupold. For a guy who loves revolvers, the only one I shot was the 63. I couldn't have had a better day.
Sounds like a terrific day!...My Easter didn't incorporate any shooting...we had a 6 lb. 12 oz baby granddaughter born today instead

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #24

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
This was the mildest winter I recall in northern Mn. I was out at my favorite pit shooting nearly every weekend! I did much more shooting than fishing. I didn't see a single walleye. Very sad.
Right now the Kamloops and Coho's are biting well along the shores of the big lake here in Duluth.
Thanks for the seasons highlights....good to have us Minnesotans reporting in.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Those grandgaughter people are wonderful things, daughters are too. All the way from driving you crazy, making you angry to making you pop your buttond with pride. Upon entering the front room there are two deer, a nice 4X4 whiteail and a 5X5 mule deer. Now one would think since they are different species shot by the two daughters that there would be no argument as to which is bigger; guess again!
Last deer season, the grandson started hunting with grandpa under the mentorship program. After passing several does and a couple of spikes, Wednesday evening he asked if he could shoot a grouse. He did, a bird that should have been 12/ 13 inches tall was twenty inches long after a 6mm bullet struck it just above the tail, flew just under the backbone, and exited the top of the neck as it was rapidly departing. What an explosion of feathers! The breast was in beautiful shape with very few feathers, but all of the underlying bones were broken. He and his dad ate "partridge". Grandpa is carving a full-sized grouse and we will drill holes in the rump to display the birds fan with the actual feathers.
Please, enjoy the new grand daughter and get her into the woods as quick as possible. (Mean while, my 6 yr old grand daughter is dragging me to a sweetheart's dance next week.)