Michigan CPL Opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Michigan Gun Forum > Michigan CPL Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Michigan CPL Opinions

I been putting off getting my ccw out of fear of denial despite countless people telling me that they don't think I would be denied. Here's the deal, Michigan's cpl application says that you cannot have a mental illness at the time the application is made regardless of whether you are receiving treatment for that illness or not. Michigan does not define mental illness or put labels on what you can or can't have in order to get a cpl, it only defines a mental illness as such

"a substantial disorder of thought or mood that significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life, and includes, but is not limited to, clinical depression."

Ok, I have a couple of anxiety disorders(ocd and social fear) which are minor, but I do receive disability for them, now one could argue that this impairment could fit in with the portion of the definition that says "or ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life" -because i'm not working, yet on the other hand I am pretty much normal, I have a driver's license, I am sane, I buy guns all the time and pass the NICS check a couple of times a year, and I even have sole custody of one of my children and joint of the other. My buddy says he called the police dept and told them about my situation and that they said to check "no" on the mental illness question because they are only looking to deny the people that are psychotic killers, but have a letter ready to explain my disorders. They said that it's all interpretation and that I am not lying if I say no, that if something comes up it's that I misunderstood what they meant(because I kind of am misunderstanding the definition) and that I won't get into trouble if something comes up because misunderstanding questions happens all the time. I am just not sure about it all or to trust the police that they know what they are talking about. I am pretty sure if I checked no that it would go through since I have no mental health records in the court system and my background is clean hence why I buy guns all the time, but I am also terrified of a perjury change if they think I was lying. What would you all do if you were me?

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

What is the exact wording of the application?

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
What is the exact wording of the application?

"must not have a mental illness at the time the application is made regardless of whether you are receiving treatment for that illness or not"

that's the exact wording on the app, they don't define mental illness on the app though, but Michigan law defines it as :"a substantial disorder of thought or mood that significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life, and includes, but is not limited to, clinical depression."

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Interesting wording. Most places required that you be hospitalized to be denied. The way it's worded you could be being treated for an illness but not be mentally ill. Your best bet is to consult an attorney.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Interesting wording. Most places required that you be hospitalized to be denied. The way it's worded you could be being treated for an illness but not be mentally ill. Your best bet is to consult an attorney.

That's the thing that always confused me too, most states more or less copy federal gun forms in their ccw applications such as in involuntary hospitalizations and crimes found not guilty by reason of insanity etc, but Michigan just half hazardly throws in that you can't even have a mental illness. It just seems so weird that in a state that requires a deeper background check and registration to even buy a handgun(in which I had to do to get all my handguns) that they would say no on a shall issue carry permit.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

And another thing that gets me, is that even if they could pinpoint that my conditions could be defined in some was as mental illness in the mental illness definition, there are also the words "substantial" and "significantly"..Even if I am "impaired" in some fashion, how substantial is it and how significantly does it effect me? And what exactly is "ordinary" when it comes to the demands of life? No one is ordinary! They make this definition so vague that just about anyone could truthfully wiggle around it no matter what you have.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Go to the MI Gun Owners forum, legal Beagle Section and post your question. Several very qualified attorneys donate their time in supporting the forum.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #8

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Talk to a lawyer. This is too complex for anyone else.
The issue has impacted me as a MI resident married to a bipolar phobic woman. We decided not to even apply for her CPL.
If I was a betting man, if you get government assistance because of your psychological condition, then it will disqualify you from getting a CPL.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk