Michigan competitive shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Michigan Gun Forum > Michigan competitive shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

I'm curious about competitive shooting. I am still pretty new to handguns but that's more what I'm interested in than rifles.

I guess my question may be too broad but any info will help. I'm in the Detroit area and want to know if there are any competitions or anything held around here? Or where would I find info on types of competitions held in Michigan? Or anything related to anything.

Like I said, I'm still new and plan to take a few more classes to hone in my skills. I don't want to get into anything that involves using a multi thousand dollar set up either. Just looking for competitions with a wide range of entrants with all types of handguns.

Last edited by capto56; 03-07-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Mi Gun Owners just had this discussion.

Blue Water Sportsman Club has something going on

Wayne County Sportsman Club has a weekly .22 shoot, but I would not recommend it. That's where the guy had a ND right in front of me, with the muzzle pointed somewhat towards me. Safety takes a back seat to being one of the good ole boys.

Taylor Pistol Club has several competitions, I'm thinking of signing up there. I've competed in their PPC match, which was a blast.

Washtenaw has a LONG rifle range. I've never shot there, heard mixed reports on how they welcome newcomers.

Detroit Sportsman Club (north suburbs), is supposed to have weekly competition of some sort.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #3

I was just actually going through the mgo forums. I've shot skeet and sporting clays at dsc before. I want to try their 3d archery shoot. Their pistol range times are way too limited for me to make it out there.

I'll keep looking around at the mgo forums and see what's up. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

I looked into the bowling pin shoot in Taylor. Thats the competition that would probably be one I'd like the most. Unfortunately one of their rules is that you have to use hollow points if you're using a 9mm.

I can't afford to shoot 150-200 rds of hollow points at a time. And my only other handgun is a .357 5rd revolver. Don't think I'd be able to reload fast enough to compete

Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

22 BR (benchrest) and silhouette matches monthly at Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County Shooting Assn.

Check website or MGO (MI Gun Owners) site for schedule.

Last edited by langenc; 04-14-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

""Washtenaw has a LONG rifle range. I've never shot there, heard mixed reports on how they welcome newcomers.""
above from post #2

You cant delete a range/club for the actions or lack of action(s) of one or two individuals.

I belonged to a club that had a board member (former Pres) that was just an xxxxxxxxxx.

He liked to work at the clubs 'sight in days' the week before deer season. He was just a ja55. A couple of us finally asked "how many potential good members did he run off" by his mouth?? Never got an answer and he is one reason why that is a former club that I belonged to.

This was/is(im sure) a shotgun club that happens to have a rifle range. Im sure there are many members that know of what I speak, in that regard.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're right.

I need to step up finding a new club. Discovered one just a few miles from my house that I'd never heard about. Worst part of that club, no indoor pistol range. Friend took me to his club which is a bit of a drive, but the rifle ranges are nicely set up. Biggest problem, apparently some old timers freak out if you're carry firearm is exposed???!!!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
You're right.

I need to step up finding a new club. Discovered one just a few miles from my house that I'd never heard about. Worst part of that club, no indoor pistol range. Friend took me to his club which is a bit of a drive, but the rifle ranges are nicely set up. Biggest problem, apparently some old timers freak out if you're carry firearm is exposed???!!!
Get hold of MI Open Carry and have them come to the club and do a presentation. Or email and have a supply of their handouts that explains the OC laws, or lack of em.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Get hold of MI Open Carry and have them come to the club and do a presentation. Or email and have a supply of their handouts that explains the OC laws, or lack of em.
Private property rights. As it was explained to me the board voted to keep their current rules in place.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Agreed. Need to find a different club of real shooters not hippocrits.

Thoe are the kind that keep anti-gun politicians in power.