Just to say Hi - and see if you need CPL training ... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Michigan Gun Forum > Just to say Hi - and see if you need CPL training ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
When you do decide to get the CPL, or even before check out the website I posted for good info on MI laws, they are screwy.

Top Gun is the Taylor public range, I've never been there, but a lot of people like it, with a few complaints. I belong to Wayne Country Sportsman club, which is primarily a shotgun club. Taylor pistol club is primarily pistols, but their range set up is SWEET.
Top Gun is really nice but i prefer Wolverine. Their facility isn't as nice as Top Gun but the customer service experience can't even be compared. Wolverine seems to really be interested in you and you needs or wants where at Top Gun just seems to be interested in a quick sale and moving on to the next customer.

Just my .02

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I'm kind of in the middle of all of them... but will not under any circumstances ever step foot in firing line again. I keep forgetting about wolverine. Partial to firearm exchange, they're good people. Love the laid back people at wayne country sportsman club.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I'm kind of in the middle of all of them... but will not under any circumstances ever step foot in firing line again. I keep forgetting about wolverine. Partial to firearm exchange, they're good people. Love the laid back people at wayne country sportsman club.
Hmm...never heard of this Firearm Exchange. I will have to keep that in mind about Firing Line, I have heard other people in the area talk them down a bit, but hearing it here carries a lot more weight IMO.

There is a small LGS in Southgate, right off of Eureka, east of 75. S&P Guns and Ammo I believe? Great place! Minimal selection on hand, but they can order nearly anything, have a great on-hand selection of vintage rifles, and some of the very best customer service I have ever experienced.

Givem a try next time your hunting for a new toy

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

FEX doesn't sell any firearms, but they are a great range and have a large group of rentals. I've bought a lot of stuff from Magnum Force in Monroe.

Firing line has a bunch of condescending people that will refuse to deal with you unless you're a badge. I have no idea why people keep going back there, maybe the inexperienced talk to neighbors and relatives with a badge and they all say to go there.

Last edited by partdeux; 02-27-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #15

Ok quick question since I have the time and if occurred to me...

Is it possible for me to take the course but just hold onto the paper work until i meet residency requirements? I don't recall how long the training is considered valid and I wouldn't want it to go out of date before I have been there for the 6 months required.

Thoughts? Thanks as always!

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Ok quick question since I have the time and if occurred to me...

Is it possible for me to take the course but just hold onto the paper work until i meet residency requirements? I don't recall how long the training is considered valid and I wouldn't want it to go out of date before I have been there for the 6 months required.

Thoughts? Thanks as always!
There is no legal expiration date on training... BUT, some gun boards have illegally held people to 6 or 12 months

Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

There is no legal expiration date on training... BUT, some gun boards have illegally held people to 6 or 12 months
Good to know, thanks. I will take a few weeks to learn my new M&P 45 first!

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Good to know, thanks. I will take a few weeks to learn my new M&P 45 first!
the legal requirement is 30 rounds. Some courses expand on that, my instructor said she's only flunked one person and that person was waving a loaded firearm at her with her finger on the trigger. The OP obviously teaches classes, my instructor teaches out of Firearm exchange in Redford. I wouldn't go near firing line in Westland if they gave away guns. Topgun in Taylor is liked by some, not so much by others.

If you can hit the target, you'll pass the shooting portion. Biggest challenge is to truly know MI screwy laws... including the crap that comes out of most CPL instructors.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
the legal requirement is 30 rounds. Some courses expand on that, my instructor said she's only flunked one person and that person was waving a loaded firearm at her with her finger on the trigger. The OP obviously teaches classes, my instructor teaches out of Firearm exchange in Redford. I wouldn't go near firing line in Westland if they gave away guns. Topgun in Taylor is liked by some, not so much by others.

If you can hit the target, you'll pass the shooting portion. Biggest challenge is to truly know MI screwy laws... including the crap that comes out of most CPL instructors.
I'm largely familiar with their laws having been living in the state at the time I turned 18 and began my obsession with all things firearms related.

Thanks again for the info!

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #20

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Hello! Currently, I am a full time corrections officer with MCOLES certification. I am also a pistol instructor for our department as well as a Glock and Colt AR armorer. My question is, how do I become a personal CPL instructor? Would like to use my skills to advance my craft as well as make some extra cash too!