Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Michigan Gun Forum > Cpl training recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Default Cpl training recommendations

I live in northern metro Detroit and am looking for recommendations on a good CPL instructor somewhat nearby. I don't mind driving if its worth it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
I live in northern metro Detroit and am looking for recommendations on a good CPL instructor somewhat nearby. I don't mind driving if its worth it.
Close quarter tactical in Utica Michigan great staff, great range. If I had the chance to do mine again I would take it there for sure.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtshooter

Close quarter tactical in Utica Michigan great staff, great range. If I had the chance to do mine again I would take it there for sure.
Yea I've shot there a few times. I do like it. I don't know anything about their instructors though. I suppose I could check it out online.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Yea I've shot there a few times. I do like it. I don't know anything about their instructors though. I suppose I could check it out online.
Good luck on your search and good luck as you go through the cpl process. If you live in Macomb county you expect to have to go before the gun board to get your license but it's nothing to worry about.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Liked 267 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtshooter View Post

Good luck on your search and good luck as you go through the cpl process. If you live in Macomb county you expect to have to go before the gun board to get your license but it's nothing to worry about.
There are no gun boards in Michigan anymore. There was a change in the Cpl process and I believe it goes through the state police not a gun board.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post

There are no gun boards in Michigan anymore. There was a change in the Cpl process and I believe it goes through the state police not a gun board.
I believe that was part of sb-59 which was vetoed by Snyder. So unfortunately for now gun boards still exist and even if they would have passed it would not have taken effect until may of this year.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

I don't think I'll have anything to worry about. I have somethjng on my record, but it was filed under 7411 and isn't open to the public. They will still be able to find it through my finger prints but its not supposed to be used against me. I just hope they know that I don't feel like having any hiccups but I suppose that's always a good possibility with something like obtaining your cpl.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtshooter

I found info on their website about the instructors. They seem pretty well versed in firearm experience. I scheduled mine for march 2

At least I think I did... I sent some request form online. Haven't heard back yet.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE="capto56;1089831"]

I found info on their website about the instructors. They seem pretty well versed in firearm experience. I scheduled mine for march 2

At least I think I did... I sent some request form online. Haven't heard back yet.[/QUOTE

Good luck

Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I don't think I'll have anything to worry about. I have somethjng on my record, but it was filed under 7411 and isn't open to the public. They will still be able to find it through my finger prints but its not supposed to be used against me. I just hope they know that I don't feel like having any hiccups but I suppose that's always a good possibility with something like obtaining your cpl.
7411 is open to law enforcement, and is on LIEN. Also, some counties still have gun boards.
Lawyer Bob