Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Massachusetts Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   Moving north (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f134/moving-north-64324/)

flyspooky 05-12-2012 03:23 PM

Moving north

Hello! My family and I are moving to Boston this summer and I'm a little disheartened about having to leave my collection (most, if not all) behind with my dad. I have a collection of WWI and WWII rifles and pistols, along with a couple of modern weapons. I wanted to put a quick post here to see if anyone in Mass. was aware of a shooting club or range that also rented out storage space. Thanks!

Mason609 05-13-2012 12:46 PM

Honestly, I'd stay away from Boston. Well, at least, don't live within the city limits.

You can move to a city/town close to Boston, and be able to keep your collection in your home. You live IN Boston, you can keep your pistols, but you'd have to find a place for the rifles.

Pasquanel 05-13-2012 01:00 PM

Move to S. NH and commute, you could ride the DownEaster in to work read your paper enjoy your coffee and still be a free man! ;)

flyspooky 05-13-2012 07:12 PM

Would love to, but I need to be closer in as part of the job. It's short term (two years), but if I can store a rifle or two at a nearby club or range, I can at least go have some fun on weekends. Did some internet searching, but not having much luck.

Mason609 05-15-2012 05:54 AM

Needing to be closer doesn't mean that you have to live in Boston (unless it's in a contract, or a job requirement, or school requirement for the kids). Quincy is the next city over from Boston, and depending on where you need to go to in Boston, you can get there either driving of using the MBTA (busses and trains).

Also, AFAIK, there aren't any gun clubs or ranges remotely close by that allow you to store weapons there.

Kodeman 05-28-2012 12:27 PM

Boston? You should really consider the above posts. If it's even remotely possible to live outside the city, please try. You'll be glad you did.
Good luck!

mountainman13 05-28-2012 12:41 PM

Closest club is probably an hour out of Boston. Doubt you will find one that will let you store your guns. The closer you get to Boston the less likely you will get a license to carry. BTW I'm pretty sure they have serious limitations on knives. You may want to look into that.

FullautoUSA 08-22-2012 12:34 AM

They may make you get a license to carry a knife soon, it may be just a rumor, but you know Boston, and Boston is MA's little California when it comes to gun laws. Move to NH or somewhere else in MA, the rest of MA has awesome knife laws (no carry restrictions on blade length except on switch's, balisongs, and durks, which have to be less than 1.5 in, and you can't carry trench knives) but as for the rest of MA on guns, you're pistols are fine, if any of you're rifles are bolt action they are fine, any semi-auto rifle made before the 94 ban are alright, post ban semi-autos rifles need to have a fixed stock, you can't have a threaded barrel, and you can't have a bayonet lug, and if you have any full auto's you need to get an mg license, just go the local police dept. (as long as you are a collector, and are an NRA certified trainer, you are fine.