Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Massachusetts Gun Forum > Confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Confused

My dad renewed his FID about 54 days ago and I thought that the police had 40-45 days to either approve him or deny him, but we haven't heard anything from them. He also needs it ASAP for hunting. I've tried contacting them, but had no success because I can only leave a message to the police department and not talk to them directly. What should I do? Any help would be very helpful thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3221

Call the DCJIS. And have ready the following:

Name
 Date of birth
 Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
 Driver’s license number (for identity verification)

I'll PM you their number.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Call the DCJIS. And have ready the following:

Name
 Date of birth
 Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
 Driver’s license number (for identity verification)

I'll PM you their number.
Hey Mason I called today and the DCJIS said that the application is still at the local police department and it's currently in the process of being approve or denied. WHY!!!?? It's been about 60 days now and the DCJIS told me that once they receive it then it's still going to take them around 2 1/2 weeks to approve it. I am very curious and pissed off about why they haven't said anything yet. Do you think they denied him and what should we do? He's on a 2 week vacation for hunting, but it looks like he'll be spending it at home. Would going to court be a good idea? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl978 View Post

Hey Mason I called today and the DCJIS said that the application is still at the local police department and it's currently in the process of being approve or denied. WHY!!!?? It's been about 60 days now and the DCJIS told me that once they receive it then it's still going to take them around 2 1/2 weeks to approve it. I am very curious and pissed off about why they haven't said anything yet. Do you think they denied him and what should we do? He's on a 2 week vacation for hunting, but it looks like he'll be spending it at home. Would going to court be a good idea? Thanks.
I'd hold off on court.

Call the PD and talk to the Chief to find out what the hold up is.

If it was going to be denied, they should have said something by now.

Definitely contact GOAL.org.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You're in Massachusetts?
Wait times are currently typically anywhere from 3 months to a year.
If you're a GOAL member call them and tell them this is the type of sh!t that they do Nothing about and the reason I am no longer a member. After GOAL does Nothing for you, call the NRA and tell them the same.
Unless your father is willing to hire his own attorney all he can do is suck it up and wait. Welcome to Massachusetts.
Make damn well sure your father doesn't leave the house with any of his guns after the 90 day grace period.
Just so you know my buddy went in 4 months early. His 90 days is up next week. He's been told it will be another 3-4 months.
I intend to be in NC before my renewal is due. I don't even need a license down there because they still represent the USA.

I don't need No stinking signature.

vincent Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
You're in Massachusetts?
Wait times are currently typically anywhere from 3 months to a year.
If you're a GOAL member call them and tell them this is the type of sh!t that they do Nothing about and the reason I am no longer a member. After GOAL does Nothing for you, call the NRA and tell them the same.
Unless your father is willing to hire his own attorney all he can do is suck it up and wait. Welcome to Massachusetts.
Make damn well sure your father doesn't leave the house with any of his guns after the 90 day grace period.
Just so you know my buddy went in 4 months early. His 90 days is up next week. He's been told it will be another 3-4 months.
I intend to be in NC before my renewal is due. I don't even need a license down there because they still represent the USA.
Yes im in mass. what exactly is GOAl and the 90 days? I think we'll just wait to see what happens but, he's missing this years hunting season. The past few renewals that he did took only about a month, but I don't know what's going on this year.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
I'd hold off on court.

Call the PD and talk to the Chief to find out what the hold up is.

If it was going to be denied, they should have said something by now.

Definitely contact GOAL.org.
I'll try to call the PD and talk to the chief. Seems like everything is machine operated and you just have to leave a message.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Yes im in mass. what exactly is GOAl and the 90 days? I think we'll just wait to see what happens but, he's missing this years hunting season. The past few renewals that he did took only about a month, but I don't know what's going on this year.
GOAL is the gun owners action league. They are essentially the Massachusetts branch of the NRA.
Your father's license is no longer valid after 90 days past the renewal date (his birthday). During the 90 days he cant purchase anything but he can still carry.After that ,because of the illegal delays he is being subject to, his guns are all illegal. If he leaves the house with a gun he can be arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm and could spend a year in prison as well as lose all his guns.
Your father should know all this.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
GOAL is the gun owners action league. They are essentially the Massachusetts branch of the NRA.
Your father's license is no longer valid after 90 days past the renewal date (his birthday). During the 90 days he cant purchase anything but he can still carry.After that ,because of the illegal delays he is being subject to, his guns are all illegal. If he leaves the house with a gun he can be arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm and could spend a year in prison as well as lose all his guns.
Your father should know all this.
He knows a little. His english is poor and so I always have to help out. The PD tried denying him the first time he went to his first renewal appointment, but then I talked to them and so they let him submit his application. He's been owning a FID and guns for 20+ yrs with a clean record. To me it seems like they have something racial towards him, he's an alien and not a citizen yet by the way.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
He knows a little. His english is poor and so I always have to help out. The PD tried denying him the first time he went to his first renewal appointment, but then I talked to them and so they let him submit his application. He's been owning a FID and guns for 20+ yrs with a clean record. To me it seems like they have something racial towards him, he's an alien and not a citizen yet by the way.
Ah well there is the key. Does he have a green card?