Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Maryland Gun Forum > Maryland Handgun Background Check Backlog 4 - 6 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
New laws took effect in October. Nothing I said applies now because of the new laws. I have no idea how to buy a gun in MD because no one understands the new law.
Yea, I know. I bought mine in Sept. The ridiculous backlog at the State Police goes back a long time, not just recently. But it definately worsened as the 10/1 law went into effect......

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 12-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #12

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post
The salesman at our local gun shop here in Maryland warned my wife that it could be four to six weeks before her background check would come through.

I thought that under Maryland law that if it takes longer than 7 days, the dealer can release the weapon to the buyer.

I think the problem is that under Maryland law, the FFL could release the firearm but that could run them afoul of federal regulations on the subject. Creating a situation where the state avoids civil liability or accusations of violating the 2nd amendment. How convenient. No matter what, we'll never hear about the someone who bought their first home defense pistol but as killed in the home invasion robbery while the state sat on their paperwork.

While I know that there has been huge demand lately, I wonder if this isn't a deliberate attempt to slow down the process. I'm sure it makes life difficult for dealers, our LGS has more bought and paid for guns in the back waiting on the checks than they have for sale.
Yes 8th day delivery is permissible. I'm a type 1,7,8 FFL I deliver all arms on the 8th day regardless of MDSP response.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 893 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommonarms View Post
Yes 8th day delivery is permissible. I'm a type 1,7,8 FFL I deliver all arms on the 8th day regardless of MDSP response.
You should start a thread in this section that explains how to purchase a pistol in Maryland. I've heard sales of regulated firearms have dropped dramatically since October. Partially because of confusion but also because many people moved up purchases they may have otherwise waited on due to the new laws.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #14

Here's what's going on. Guns purchased prior to the 10/1 law changes are taking 4 MONTHS, not 4 weeks. I purchased a gun in the beginning of Sept. and I'm still waiting to pick it up due to the State Police background check backlog. It's really unbelievable.

Now fast forward to today. Backround checks are coming back in less than the 8 day mandatory wait. The paperwork is going to a different processing place than the pre 10/1 applications. I also know this to be true because I just bought my P938 a few weeks ago and I picked it up on the 8th day.

Purchases in MD now require an HQL, a Handgun Qualification License, which I obtained fairly easily. I think it's this requirement that is contributing to the lower handgun sales. Its a new requirement that requires fingerprints, not just paperwork.

What's really crazy is the store where I bought my pre 10/1 gun will not break their policy to release the gun before the paperwork submitted for that firearm comes back. They are allowed to, they just won't. So I'm waiting for paperwork to come back since September, yet I've purchased and received firearms since (and passed separate background checks). It's nuts.

Maybe I need to go up to see uncommonarms in the future, although the waits are gone now.......

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Last edited by DP03; 12-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 893 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
Here's what's going on. Guns purchased prior to the 10/1 law changes are taking 4 MONTHS, not 4 weeks. I purchased a gun in the beginning of Sept. and I'm still waiting to pick it up due to the State Police background check backlog. It's really unbelievable.

Now fast forward to today. Backround checks are coming back in less than the 8 day mandatory wait. The paperwork is going to a different processing place than the pre 10/1 applications. I also know this to be true because I just bought my P938 a few weeks ago and I picked it up on the 8th day.

Purchases in MD now require an HQL, a Handgun Qualification License, which I obtained fairly easily. I think it's this requirement that is contributing to the lower handgun sales. Its a new requirement that requires fingerprints, not just paperwork.

What's really crazy is the store where I bought my pre 10/1 gun will not break their policy to release the gun before the paperwork submitted for that firearm comes back. They are allowed to, they just won't. So I'm waiting for paperwork to come back since September, yet I've purchased and received firearms since (and passed separate background checks). It's nuts.

Maybe I need to go up to see uncommonarms in the future, although the waits are gone now.......
Might be worth it to pay the transfer fee and redo the paperwork if you have the license.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Might be worth it to pay the transfer fee and redo the paperwork if you have the license.
I know, I thought about that. But I'm sitting at 3 1/2 months, so it should be any day now. If I was earlier on in the process, I'd definitely go that route.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Let me see if I've got this right, you are guaranteed a speedy trial if you commit a crime in MD, but if you need to defend yourself with a sidearm, MD can hold up your purchase for months? Do I have it right?

PA sounds better & better all the time!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Let me see if I've got this right, you are guaranteed a speedy trial if you commit a crime in MD, but if you need to defend yourself with a sidearm, MD can hold up your purchase for months? Do I have it right?

PA sounds better & better all the time!
Like I said, the outrageous waits were a one time thing and no longer. But yea, in general, MD sucks with regards to firearms. PA is much better.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #19

Liked 554 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 690

These might help. However, they don't seem to discuss how long it may take.

https://www.mdsp.org/

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage.aspx

Please download the full advisory for more information regarding the 7-day waiting period.
https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=kC9FRfZrsf4%3d&tabid=100 4&mid=2753

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
These might help. However, they don't seem to discuss how long it may take.

https://www.mdsp.org/

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage.aspx

Please download the full advisory for more information regarding the 7-day waiting period.
https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=kC9FRfZrsf4%3d&tabid=100 4&mid=2753
The HQL can be done in 10 days, start to finish. There are a couple of exceptions, such as if you are buying a gun for the first time, and/or if you have not completed a MD safety course in the past. But mine was relatively easy. I went online to complete a form online, pay a $50 fee. Then go to a fingerprint place (a list is provided) and have your prints taken. Once the print check comes back, mine within a week, you take a number from that process and enter it on your form and send it in. You then get your card, which looks like a vertical drivers license. They take and use your picture from your drivers license record. Your card is good for 10 years.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308