Maryland Handgun Background Check Backlog 4 - 6 weeks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Maryland Gun Forum > Maryland Handgun Background Check Backlog 4 - 6 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Maryland Handgun Background Check Backlog 4 - 6 weeks

The salesman at our local gun shop here in Maryland warned my wife that it could be four to six weeks before her background check would come through.

I thought that under Maryland law that if it takes longer than 7 days, the dealer can release the weapon to the buyer.

I think the problem is that under Maryland law, the FFL could release the firearm but that could run them afoul of federal regulations on the subject. Creating a situation where the state avoids civil liability or accusations of violating the 2nd amendment. How convenient. No matter what, we'll never hear about the someone who bought their first home defense pistol but as killed in the home invasion robbery while the state sat on their paperwork.

While I know that there has been huge demand lately, I wonder if this isn't a deliberate attempt to slow down the process. I'm sure it makes life difficult for dealers, our LGS has more bought and paid for guns in the back waiting on the checks than they have for sale.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post
The salesman at our local gun shop here in Maryland warned my wife that it could be four to six weeks before her background check would come through.

I thought that under Maryland law that if it takes longer than 7 days, the dealer can release the weapon to the buyer.

I think the problem is that under Maryland law, the FFL could release the firearm but that could run them afoul of federal regulations on the subject. Creating a situation where the state avoids civil liability or accusations of violating the 2nd amendment. How convenient. No matter what, we'll never hear about the someone who bought their first home defense pistol but as killed in the home invasion robbery while the state sat on their paperwork.

While I know that there has been huge demand lately, I wonder if this isn't a deliberate attempt to slow down the process. I'm sure it makes life difficult for dealers, our LGS has more bought and paid for guns in the back waiting on the checks than they have for sale.
I'm no lawyer but as far as I know the law states that you can get the gun after 8 days if you are not denied by the state police. However the FFL can choose to wait longer if they want. I've not heard of a four to six week delay but I'm sure that volume of sales is higher than normal and might be slower than normal.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Federal NICS is done on an approved unless denied basis. NICS has a 3 day window to issue a denial after which the FFL is legally free to transfer the firearm. Unless MD has another law or a waiting period you should not have to wait 2 weeks, there is no federal waiting period.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #4

Default 4-6 weeks is a joke

the funny thing is my wife never wanted a gun but i do a lot of out of town trips and i sent her thought all the training and took her in to buy her first gun on Feb 23rd 2013 and did all the paperwork and was told it would take about 3-4 weeks and here we are 9 weeks later and still NO gun Unbelievable i was told by the bass pro shop that they just received application from feb 5-8th that it may be 3-4 more weeks
Maryland is trying to get the law passed so that all the application they will have to pay for the license money and at this point it would be millions of dollars just by dragging there feet
if i happen to go out of town and something was to happen to my family that could have been stopped by my wife having a weapon on site i will hold the state 100% responsible

is there anything the can be done to fine out what the delay is ??

Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #5

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Maybe get a refund and try a local gun store?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie81904 View Post
the funny thing is my wife never wanted a gun but i do a lot of out of town trips and i sent her thought all the training and took her in to buy her first gun on Feb 23rd 2013 and did all the paperwork and was told it would take about 3-4 weeks and here we are 9 weeks later and still NO gun Unbelievable i was told by the bass pro shop that they just received application from feb 5-8th that it may be 3-4 more weeks
Maryland is trying to get the law passed so that all the application they will have to pay for the license money and at this point it would be millions of dollars just by dragging there feet
if i happen to go out of town and something was to happen to my family that could have been stopped by my wife having a weapon on site i will hold the state 100% responsible

is there anything the can be done to fine out what the delay is ??
My purchase on 2/23/13 (paperwork submitted on 2/25) received not disapproved paperwork on 4/15/13. I've heard that Bass Pro is a little slow in submitting the paperwork and in calling you when they get it back. They have your money I guess, your best bet is to wait it out.

Purchases made (paperwork submitted) before October 1 are grandfathered, under the new law that has passed. After October 1 you'll need a handgun purchasing license, can't buy magazines over 10 rounds in the state, and most popular semi-automatic rifles are banned.

You might hold the state responsible, but they won't hold themselves responsible, they don't care if your family is harmed, the supreme court has upheld the states right not to protect you.

J

Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I just purchased a firearm in MD. They have close to 60,000 applications in backlog right now, and I'm being told that it will likely be 3 1/2 MONTHS before the background check comes back. And no, they do not have to release the firearm after a certain number of days. It's basically tough ****. Another example of MD passing laws that they don't think through, or care about, how it affects people.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 10-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought 3 guns yesterday. 2 rifles and a Radom P35 pistol. It took 1/2 hour because I was b.sing with the dealer before he called in the NCIS check. I live in Ohio.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Once Obama and the Democrats get their "Universal" back ground checks that will be common. The Liberals will require every transfer to get a BG check. The Government will then reduce the budgets cutting the staff. It will take a year or more to get a firearm cleared for purchase. They will put all purchases on hold.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #10

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
I just purchased a firearm in MD. They have close to 60,000 applications in backlog right now, and I'm being told that it will likely be 3 1/2 MONTHS before the background check comes back. And no, they do not have to release the firearm after a certain number of days. It's basically tough ****. Another example of MD passing laws that they don't think through, or care about, how it affects people.
New laws took effect in October. Nothing I said applies now because of the new laws. I have no idea how to buy a gun in MD because no one understands the new law.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson