Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Maine Gun Forum > Out of state handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Out of state handgun

I'll be visiting family up in Maine in a few weeks and wanted to try and get some clarification on the laws around having a handgun in my possession. I live in New Jersey where I have a Firearms ID card and one handgun permit. This permit does not allow me to carry my gun. I can only legally transport it to and from the range - provided I go straight to and straight from the range. Also it must be stowed in the proper manner which means the gun must be locked in an area of the car not easily accessible (the trunk for example), unloaded and ammo must also be locked in a separate container also not easily accessible.

My question is: if I want to bring my .45 so me and my cousin can plink off some rounds where he does his target practice, if I treat the gun like I would if I'm in jersey, I'm not breaking any state laws am I? My cousin is telling me if I really wanted I could keep the gun in a holster on my hip as long as it is in plain view and not loaded. Is that correct? Also what if we go on a hike somewhere off the beaten path? Can I open carry in that manner? Or could I potentially be charged for some infraction?

My main objective is to just have some fun target practicing and let my cousin check out my new gun. But if I'm legally allowed to have it on me for protection out in the woods too, then heck I'm going to enjoy that freedom while I'm up there LOL

Well ...if you guys can help me out I would really appreciate that.

Thanks a lot!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

According to the site I found there is no license required for possession or open carry in Maine. I can't say that includes non residents and I wouldn't guarantee the info as I am neither a lawyer nor resident of Maine.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=238

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

Sounds a lot like what you describe in NJ. It did mention some WMA doesn't allow firearms.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey thanks a lot for the links and tips guys ...gonna check it out now!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I called the Maine state police and was given a number to call back tomorrow:

207-624-7210 and take option for concealed carry.

I'll post back what they say and hopefully this will someone down the road too.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I spoke with a Maine Trooper at length and he said as long as I'm not doing anything stupid I should be fine. He said if I am driving to and from the area we are going to go shooting, then I need to have the gun in plain view and unloaded. Then let's say I want to go into the supermarket, THEN i would need to secure it in the vehicle locked and out of sight (if I'm not going to open carry). Man I gotta move to Maine!!

Then I asked him about if we were hiking and I had it on me for safety/protection - in view and unloaded. He said the open carry laws SHOULD apply. However if I was seen by a Warden who wanted to bust my balls, he could charge me for hunting without a license. But if I had a witness that would testify that we were simply hiking and not hunting at all, then I should beat any kind of charges.
The guy was super nice and sounded genuinely happy to help.

God do I love Maine!!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

LOL! Read up on MS firearms laws. Car carry for any over 18, concealed or not, no permit. Open carry is recently redefined to include holstered firearms, no permit. The humidity isn't that bad.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
LOL! Read up on MS firearms laws. Car carry for any over 18, concealed or not, no permit. Open carry is recently redefined to include holstered firearms, no permit. The humidity isn't that bad.
I have family down there I have to visit too! I don't do well in the heat though LOL