Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Maine Gun Forum > Multiple Drivers licenses?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Multiple Drivers licenses?

I am currently a F/T Massachusetts resident, however I own a 2nd home in Maine that I visit frequently. I know that MA has tough gun laws, although I've never tried to buy one before. I was thinking of buying a rifle for hunting since there is so much game around my place in Maine. I know in Maine you can just use your drivers license to buy guns/ammo, and I was thinking that if I got a 2nd drivers license using my Maine home then I could buy something without all the BS. I don't have any criminal convictions or whatever it is that they might look for, I was just thinking it might be easier to go this route. Has anyone here gotten multiple drivers licenses for this or similar? I was thinking I could change my living status to show that I live in Maine often enough to justify it. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

So you're looking to buy a rifle in ma?
You'll need to get an fid card. This will limit what you can purchase. If I remember correctly you need to take a hunters safety course. Then go and apply at your local police department. If you look around you should be able to find the course very cheap or free. The fid will cost you $100 and the process could take as long as 6 months. You'd be better off going for your ltc in mass.
You're better off looking into buying in Maine.
Welcome to FTF.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

I figured I'd buy it in Maine since I have a home there, as well as keep in in Maine. The gun would never leave the state, so I wouldn't bother with the MA course or wait period. I would probably take a class anyway and go practice at a range first, and I wouldn't be going out by myself the first few times for sure! I was hoping to bypass MA entirely.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Ah OK I misunderstood you.
As long as you have an address in Maine you should be good to go. I don't know the process up there.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20941 Times on 11897 Posts
Likes Given: 52517

i may be mistaken, but i don't think you can legally have multiple drivers licenses from different states. better check with the state DMV department to make sure or contact an attorney.

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i may be mistaken, but i don't think you can legally have multiple valid drivers licenses from different states. Better check with the state DMV department to make sure or contact an attorney.
This was my belief as well.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Liked 218 Times on 143 Posts

Pretty sure the only legal way to have multiple drivers licenses is if you are an illegal alien.

Just kidding I have no idea, I do know that in some states you can have a D.L. and a state issued I.D. card. that looks similar.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Sounds like it may be too much of a headache. Unless I can order it online and have it shipped there without hassle, I guess I'll have to go through the PITA MA method.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6640 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 13015

A dealer in Maine can sell a rifle or shotgun to you in Maine.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8641 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

It is illegal to have more than 1 driver's license at a time. Trust me on this one.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Axxe55 Likes This