Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Maine Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f132/)
-   -   Multiple Drivers licenses? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f132/multiple-drivers-licenses-98164/)

MaineGun 10-04-2013 01:41 PM

Multiple Drivers licenses?

I am currently a F/T Massachusetts resident, however I own a 2nd home in Maine that I visit frequently. I know that MA has tough gun laws, although I've never tried to buy one before. I was thinking of buying a rifle for hunting since there is so much game around my place in Maine. I know in Maine you can just use your drivers license to buy guns/ammo, and I was thinking that if I got a 2nd drivers license using my Maine home then I could buy something without all the BS. I don't have any criminal convictions or whatever it is that they might look for, I was just thinking it might be easier to go this route. Has anyone here gotten multiple drivers licenses for this or similar? I was thinking I could change my living status to show that I live in Maine often enough to justify it. Any thoughts?

mountainman13 10-04-2013 02:00 PM

So you're looking to buy a rifle in ma?
You'll need to get an fid card. This will limit what you can purchase. If I remember correctly you need to take a hunters safety course. Then go and apply at your local police department. If you look around you should be able to find the course very cheap or free. The fid will cost you $100 and the process could take as long as 6 months. You'd be better off going for your ltc in mass.
You're better off looking into buying in Maine.
Welcome to FTF.

MaineGun 10-04-2013 02:04 PM

I figured I'd buy it in Maine since I have a home there, as well as keep in in Maine. The gun would never leave the state, so I wouldn't bother with the MA course or wait period. I would probably take a class anyway and go practice at a range first, and I wouldn't be going out by myself the first few times for sure! I was hoping to bypass MA entirely.

mountainman13 10-04-2013 02:07 PM

Ah OK I misunderstood you.
As long as you have an address in Maine you should be good to go. I don't know the process up there.

Axxe55 10-04-2013 02:15 PM

i may be mistaken, but i don't think you can legally have multiple drivers licenses from different states. better check with the state DMV department to make sure or contact an attorney.

Overkill0084 10-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1392369)
i may be mistaken, but i don't think you can legally have multiple valid drivers licenses from different states. Better check with the state DMV department to make sure or contact an attorney.

This was my belief as well.

FrontierTCB 10-04-2013 02:20 PM

Pretty sure the only legal way to have multiple drivers licenses is if you are an illegal alien.

Just kidding I have no idea, I do know that in some states you can have a D.L. and a state issued I.D. card. that looks similar.

MaineGun 10-04-2013 03:28 PM

Sounds like it may be too much of a headache. Unless I can order it online and have it shipped there without hassle, I guess I'll have to go through the PITA MA method.

MisterMcCool 10-04-2013 04:39 PM

A dealer in Maine can sell a rifle or shotgun to you in Maine.

c3shooter 10-04-2013 10:30 PM

It is illegal to have more than 1 driver's license at a time. Trust me on this one.