Deer Season!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Maine Gun Forum > Deer Season!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default Deer Season!

So who is excited and ready for Deer Season (firearms) in a month? Did some scouting last week and saw some good signs. How's everyone else's preparations? Anyone care to share what they carry for 'emergency supplies' when hunting the Maine woods?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #2

Nobody?!? Nothing?!?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't done anything yet. ( just retired from the Marines still down in NC) but as soon as I get up there I'm going to go peak out the seen. Down in NC I always carried a mag bar, compass (for GPS to fail), a small med kit and something to heat water up in just in case... Everything else ill get from the woods... I just got a Winchester model 94... Looking forward to using it up there.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #4

Nice, yea having been very active in Boy Scouts growing up I tend to be over prepared for things. What started as a small 'emergency survival kit' has turned into 'I'm pretty sure I could survive pretty comfortably in the woods for 3-7 days if necessary'. I am at a cross roads in thought though. Where I plan to hunt along / just off power lines where there is as close to no chance as possible to get lost, do I really need EVERYTHING that I have prepared for a more traditional hunt where it is much more likely to loose my way. The over-prepping side says you have it, so bring it, cause you'll never say "Dang I really wish I didn't have _______ with me." But the more realistic side says there is no reason to carry 20lbs worth of stuff (on top of the 8lb rifle) when I'm barely out of site of the truck. I think what I will settle on is upgrading to a frame backpack with "Everything" and a smaller day pack with the bare min essentials strapped to it. That way I can hike in more comfortably, pick a 'base' to keep the frame pack at and never travel out of sight of that base, if I wish to travel farther, pick it up and move it. I just get an eerie feeling that the very day I finally say f*** it and carry only the bare minimums will be the day I get a visit from good ole Mr. Murphy in the form of a broken leg in the one place with no cell service or some crap like that. Not to mention if I were to come upon another hunter in need of emergency help, I would feel bad for not having all of my options available to help.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea I hear ya, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Ill carry the weight and take things slow and smooth.