trading firearms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Kentucky Gun Forum > trading firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default trading firearms

Im trading my rifle for a pistol. We both are ky residents. Does anyone know if its alright to just exchange guns with a written receipt or does it need to be transferred? I have never traded before and want to know what is needed to do this. I dont know the guy and im just worried it might be stolen or something like that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Face to face sales by two non FFL people can be done with no transfer. No receipt is even required. I do like to make up a bill of sale and have a copy for me and them to show I did sell/trade it and to whom. I like to see a drivers lic also to make sure they are a Ky resident.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2602 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

kY,

There is nothing illegal about the trade. But not knowing the guy is a concern of mine also. You might ask him where he got it. If he advises from some guy walking at a gun show! I would pass! But if he can advise the specific shop or dealer at a show you are probably OK! You could always pay a Dealer the $25 or $30 to do a transfer for you and do the checks. Also Drum Junkies has good advise if the gun may have been non traceable.
But the law does not prohibit you and he from trading being in the same state of KY.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Id like to transfer but he is 3 hours away from me and I always get delayed every time I try to get a firearm. My wife can buy them like they are groceries. Lol. I guess ill do the trade. Thanks for the advise guys

Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

what I usually do when I do a trade is get a name make sure they have a pic idea to back it up and and then if they actaully do all that I go and make sure that the gun isn't stolen usually I got to the police station and they can run it and it takes a few minutes but it's a lot better then getting pulled over with a stolen gun. If they don't show me a pic ID and what not I walk away. Also a written bill of sales and signed by both parties before anything changes hands.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8488 Times on 4912 Posts
Likes Given: 11040

Here in Cali if we could legally do a Face-To-Face without an FFL transfer and I didn't know the guy I would run the serial numbers through a cop buddy of mine just to be sure.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 768

You should make sure you are not trading for a stolen gun

Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #8

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I like to draw up a bill of sale/ receipt. I only do deals with people who have a valid ky CCDW.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.