recent felon - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Kentucky Gun Forum > recent felon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 920 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Get rid of your guns now! Call an attorney and you will more than likely beat it. Then go get your guns. Talk to no one about where your guns went.

USMC 74-78

Warrior1256 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 645

I'm a federal officer and I supervise inmates daily that have this same problem. Now that you are a felon, you cannot have any firearms or ammunition in your possession i.e. house, car, etc. Have your son come over to your house and pick them all up and take them to his place. Do not get caught with a single shell/round of ammunition, they will send you to me if they find it. If you can get your record expunged (SUPER expensive) then you can have your son return your guns to you.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Here in NC you can regain your rights by going to the judge that sentenced you. Most judges want everything cleaned up and your probation finished. Having an old hunting license is helpful. If you just want a gun for SD good luck with that.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Please don't follow the advise of John Deere. This is now a Federal Violation. An old hunting licenses is not going to help. You should read the post by Argyle very closely.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

according to the ATF form 4473, question 11.c is in regards to the OP's question. does not specify anything other that it being a felony that disqualifies you for purchasing or possessing a firearm. so the charge of what got the person the felony or the amount of time served or not served is irrelevent. if a person recieved a felon conviction and only served probation they are disqualified under federal firearm laws from purchasing or possessing a firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'm not an attorney either, however I do recall reading that you can apply for your rights to be restored when the felony doesn't involve severe infractions. I do NOT know Kentucky law, this was something I read in Georgia years ago while I was riding First Offender Status. You may not be in possession of, or living under the same roof as any device that "uses an explosive or electrical discharge to propel an inanimate object." (obviously this would include black powder) You are also prohibited from owning or living in a residence where any ammunition is located or stored. You cannot ride in an automobile that has a firearm inside it, whether or not the person who owns the vehicle has a license to carry it or not. (there is some very gray area as to riding with someone else, I've seen felons riding in cars with firearms that have trigger locks currently installed be left alone, however this would be to the discretion of the officer on hand and not a chance I'd take)

As to your weapons, after sentencing you should have been informed that the moment you were sentenced, it was a crime for the firearms to be in your home. They would only grant you the "right" (and I use that term loosely) to have a relative pick them up before you arrived home, or have a relative or registered agent sell them for you with a bill of sale proving the sale of the items. Again, this is as the law is written in Georgia, I'd imagine they are very similar however there could be variations. Any which way, do not have anything in your home, not even a taser as that falls into the "electrical discharge" category.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr