recent felon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Kentucky Gun Forum > recent felon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default recent felon

I am 60yrs old and recently had a felony conviction for driving while taking perscribed medication. I would like some data what kentucky considers a firearm eg. muzzel loader. I have a sizeable gun collection wanting to leave to my son.Can rights ever be returned? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #2

Liked 1909 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

I would suggest you consult an attorney in your area. We are from all different parts of the country with all different types of backgrounds. I would not trust anyone's legal advice here. We do have at least one attorney on here. But even they don't often offer legal advise on the internet.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #3

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I know no one can give him reliable legal advice on here, but out of curiosity what is a person expected to do with their guns once they've been convicted of a felony? Do they sell them or can they be seized?

Not a felon, just curious.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 767 Times on 393 Posts

Just brainstorming but perhaps a gun trust naming your son as executor?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8498 Times on 4918 Posts
Likes Given: 11050

Check with a 2A attorney. That is the best advice you will get.

And sbeezy, I think they don't just go and confiscate all your guns. Here in CA they have recently been going through records (both criminal and firearms registries) and knocking on the doors of convicted felons who are known to have owned guns but there is no record of a transfer saying they sold them. I know of one guy who got a domestic violence charge against him and he immediately sent his guns over to his brother's house to get rid of them. Thing is they didn't do any transfer on them so any records would show that he still owns them.

Best advice? Stay out of trouble.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i am not an attorney, nor do i play one on tv, but legal advice on forum is worth, well, not much. best suggestion seek the advice from a real attorney, who is well versed in the laws of your state on firearm issues.

IMO though, i would think with a felony conviction, that in some way you would be required to dispose of any firearms within your possession. being a felon and getting caught with firearms, opens up a hole new set of problems, irregardless of what the conviction was for.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm! Problem is a felony conviction makes firearms ownership illegal under Federal Law.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

NOTE: AM NOT A LAWYER. Get legal advice from a lawyer.

I am a gun buff that knows a little about the laws on guns.

First- FEDERAL law prohibits possession (not ownership) of a firearm if you have been convicted of a felony. HOWEVER, Federal law does not consider a gun made before 1898, or a gun that uses loose ball and powder to be a firearm. It is an ANTIQUE firearm. Different class.

Ssame Federal law- ALL states- a felon cannot possess ammo. Powder and #11 caps are not ammo. 209 shotshell primers ARE ammo.

KY law does not appear to distinguish between antique and modern guns. See definition of firearm in KY Code- 237.060 So no to a muzzleloader.

If convicted of a felony you CAN give away or sell your guns. You cannot possess them. Means you cannot hold a gun, or have access to one (I have the keys to the safe).

AGAIN- speak to an attorney, or at least the KY State Police.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1094 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Send your guns to me, I will send you a receipt and you are free to go.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7465 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 15368

Q: How can a person apply for relief from Federal firearms disabilities?
Under the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), convicted felons and certain other persons are prohibited from possessing or receiving firearms. The GCA provides the Attorney General with the authority to grant relief from this disability where the Attorney General determines that the person is not likely to act in a manner dangerous to the public safety and granting relief would not be contrary to the public interest. The Attorney General delegated this authority to ATF.
Since October 1992, however, ATF’s annual appropriation has prohibited the expending of any funds to investigate or act upon applications for relief from Federal firearms disabilities submitted by individuals. As long as this provision is included in current ATF appropriations, the Bureau cannot act upon applications for relief from Federal firearms disabilities submitted by individuals.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/general.html

https://www.nacdl.org/uploadedFiles/files/resource_center/2012_restoration_project/State_Law_Relief_from_Federal_Firearms_Act_Disabil ities.pdf

You should also attempt to have the felony expunged.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 07-20-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This